Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 04-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #931
Vallos
Jubilee

I cancelled Whisper and Derby when Sideshow announced the full roster from their Court of the Dead line. However, it would be remiss of me not to mention Gentle Giant's lackadaisical approach to updates, influencing, however small that may be, my decision to cancel the orders.
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #932
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallos View Post
I cancelled Whisper and Derby when Sideshow announced the full roster from their Court of the Dead line. However, it would be remiss of me not to mention Gentle Giant's lackadaisical approach to updates, influencing, however small that may be, my decision to cancel the orders.
GG has always been this way. They can't even get their licensed products out on time. I am suprised they were able to finish the Sucker Punch line within a few years.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #933
Vallos
Jubilee

It is confounding how long it is taking to announce an edition size. Are they waiting for more orders to come in because of lack of interest, or contrarily, the orders are still coming in due to high interest? Perhaps it is due to the recent company acquisition, or could it be production delays?
Old 04-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #934
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

I can't imagine the Honey Trap line drawing much if ANY real interest from the statue community. Judging by the shocking way GG has handled the IP it must seem to anyone who even showed a passing interest that the line is dead. If the line is dead it can only be down to GG neglect.

I can imagine that GG is focusing on its cash cows, of which the HT line certainly isn't one of. I can 100% understand why Vallos cancelled and went for the Court of the Dead from SS.

I may hang on and get Whisper because I genuinely like the statue.....but I'm not sure about Derby, and I have no expectation that the others will ever be generally released.

R.I.P Honey Trap.
Silas Loki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #935
Vallos
Jubilee

It is a shame because these will be phenomenal statues, and my gut is telling me that the edition size will be low - somewhere around 200-300. Normally these two factors would guarantee a purchase from me, but the way Sideshow is handling the Court, both from a marketing and creative perspective, they get my money.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #936
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Well I wish you all the best with your choice, the Evil Mermaid looks awesome, and so does the Queen of the Dead!

The only thing really stopping me from taking SS seriously is my complete and utter lack of trust in their paint apps! Now to be clear, I'm really only talking out their flesh tones more than anything else! It's the reason I skipped on Wonder Woman and so many others.

I have more trust (right now) in GG getting close to their artist proof painting quality.....time will tell.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #937
Vallos
Jubilee

There is no doubt GG is more consistent throughout their lines. I certainly would feel squeamish if I was a comic book statue collector when dealing with Sideshow. However, Sideshow has proven reliable with their Originals line. It is clearly evident they put much more attention and care in their own IP. Therefore, I'm confident Sideshow's factories will come very close to proto-type quality when it comes to paint application.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #938
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallos View Post
There is no doubt GG is more consistent throughout their lines. I certainly would feel squeamish if I was a comic book statue collector when dealing with Sideshow. However, Sideshow has proven reliable with their Originals line. It is clearly evident they put much more attention and care in their own IP. Therefore, I'm confident Sideshow's factories will come very close to proto-type quality when it comes to paint application.
you know, my first instinct was to suggest you had a Crack addiction, and you'd typed the above while high......but actually, I think you might be onto something.

Considering every franchised line would have an associated license cost, I can imagine SS looking for every which way to cut costs.....while, optimistically thinking, given there are no licence costs on their own lines, perhaps they have bigger margins to invest in quality......now, (here comes the pessimist in me), I can very well imagine SS taking the view that, if people are willing to spend top dollar on a lower quality piece, then why not maximise profit by giving them similar low quality on their own lines and still garner the benefit of no license fees......who knows.....
Old 05-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #939
Vallos
Jubilee

Well let's hope they continue upholding their good reputation with their Originals.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #940
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

About time... Lucky is up for preorder... Now waiting for Spec F to have it up for preorder. This is really the only girl I wanted from the beginning. I have no interest in the 2 remaining girls as I will settle for the 1st 3.

Just curious though, how an she be 18" in height when she's kneeling down? Unless she is twice the size of the other 2 girls....
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote