Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #961
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I don't do cinemas, so I had a grueling wait to see this and finally sat down excitedly to watch it once the blu ray finally released in the UK.....

And disappointment, what an absolute mess of a movie. Some good bits scattered among so many head scratching decisions. And who the heck green lit the decision to Kill Akbar so cheaply off screen? He didn't even get any screen time before it. Just a passing mention. He should have had the purple hared womans (Holdo?) role if anything, it would have meant more and he deserved a bigger role.... And what they turned Luke into was unbelievable. He refused to kill one of the most evil men in the known Galaxy in the original trilogy, he was full of optimism and saw good in even him. And yet in this, after seeing a bit of darkness in his teenage nephews head, he goes to murder him in his sleep and then runs away.... Cool story.
It was more important to show that Women are just as strong as Men, yadda yadda yadda, then It was to give proper send offs to established characters.

The movie was a fun summer popcorn movie with lots of action and CGI but when you stop and analyze the story it's all complete rubbish... Story wise the Last Jedi was probably the worst Star Wars Film so far... which says something because Jar Jar sent the bar really high in that category....
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #962
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
It's in my estimation, and many others, that the reason he had the momentary thought to kill Kylo was because of what his father had done when he turned, nearly enslaving the entire galaxy and murdering the jedi order.

It goes back to the question, if you had seen what Hitler had done and then you met someone, a family member, that you knew was headed down that same path, what would you do?

Even with that knowledge it was a fleeting moment that left him and after words he was regretful for even thinking it. And he exiled himself because he was ashamed that he not only failed, but failed Han, Leia and Ben.

Either way you're entitled to your opinion but I think taking the situation at face value, how many people would be able to cope with what had happened?

I'd like to think I wouldn't judge anybody based on another persons actions. And Luke Skywalker is a powerful Jedi whom has demonstrated decent morals on multiple occasions before. You're obviously welcome to interpret it as you wish, but we disagree completely. I put it down to incredibly bad writing and a misunderstanding of the character. Nothing more. I actually like the concept of a Jedi messing up so badly that they remove themselves from the force entirely, but Luke Skywalker is definitely not that person, no matter his age. They messed up.

Do you have a positive spin on Ackbars cheap death? Or the terrible Leia "Mary Poppins" scene (and how they just opened a door in space to let her in for that matter) Or the pointless CGI escape scene that served no purpose other than to set up a cringe worthy line of dialogue at the end. Or why Rose crashed into a Finn to "save" him, then went in for a quick kiss while their friends were all shot at by the massive laser that he was about to have then out. His character ark is pretty much complete anyway, it would have been a fitting end for him to go from running away from everything, to giving up everything. Or how Rey has had basically zero training and appears to be a full on Jedi now, Luke needed way more training, Anakin was a full on Jedi apprentice for years.

Ergh, the more I talk about it, the more my mind boggles. I will give this a second watch at some point, but I imagine it will stay at the very bottom of the list on my order of favorite Star Wars movies.

I do still like Kylo however, he is the only interesting character left in this franchise I think after this.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #963
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
It was more important to show that Women are just as strong as Men, yadda yadda yadda, then It was to give proper send offs to established characters.

The movie was a fun summer popcorn movie with lots of action and CGI but when you stop and analyze the story it's all complete rubbish... Story wise the Last Jedi was probably the worst Star Wars Film so far... which says something because Jar Jar sent the bar really high in that category....
The Rebel's Air force definitely appears to have had a woman's draft before filming commenced. Holdo was a pointless character however, and a very poor leader whom caused issues that didn't need to exist (obviously as a plot driver and an excuse to send Finn off gallivanting) As was Phasma... Again! I hope she doesn't come back from her fiery grave, but we all know she probably will.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #964
ukshaun
Hercules

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi appears to leave people divided. I've read negative reviews, and i've read the review in Total Film that awards the movie 5/5 ?

I'm in no rush to see it, if i'm honest. I passed on Star Wars: The Force Awakens, as that appeared to be Disney playing it safe, while offering nothing new. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story i have seen, and the Star Wars magic felt lacking. The desaturated look of the movie made it feel more serious than Star Wars should feel. Empire Strikes Back followed by A New Hope remain by favourites

The guy's at Collector-Verse didn't seem impressed either.

The Last Jedi Blu-Ray release. Did we like it more or less?
https://youtu.be/dqDkvU_6WUY
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #965
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
It's in my estimation, and many others, that the reason he had the momentary thought to kill Kylo was because of what his father had done when he turned, nearly enslaving the entire galaxy and murdering the jedi order.

It goes back to the question, if you had seen what Hitler had done and then you met someone, a family member, that you knew was headed down that same path, what would you do?

Even with that knowledge it was a fleeting moment that left him and after words he was regretful for even thinking it. And he exiled himself because he was ashamed that he not only failed, but failed Han, Leia and Ben.

Either way you're entitled to your opinion but I think taking the situation at face value, how many people would be able to cope with what had happened?

Yeah but if that was really who Luke was he would of killed his Dad (Vader) instead of trying to save him.

The Luke story in TLJ might of been fine for another Jedi character but based on what was established in the original 3 movies that's not who Luke was.

It's obvious this director wanted to throw everything about the original movies out the window and create his own "cool" version of Star Wars... From the laughing Yoda who can create lightning strikes as a ghost, Leia who can use the force to fly through space to Luke force projecting himself across the universe.

If Jedi could force project themselves to other planets why not just project themselves Into all the enemy bases so they could find out all their secrets.

Or if dead Jedi can do physical damage in the real world they could just take out all the bad guys, movie over....

The director just opened up a can of worms with his "cool" version of Star Wars...
Old 04-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #966
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I'd like to think I wouldn't judge anybody based on another persons actions. And Luke Skywalker is a powerful Jedi whom has demonstrated decent morals on multiple occasions before. You're obviously welcome to interpret it as you wish, but we disagree completely. I put it down to incredibly bad writing and a misunderstanding of the character. Nothing more. I actually like the concept of a Jedi messing up so badly that they remove themselves from the force entirely, but Luke Skywalker is definitely not that person, not matter his age. They messed up.

Do you have a positive spin on Ackbars cheap death? Or the terrible Leia "Mary Poppins" scene (and how they just opened a door in space to let her in for that matter) Or the pointless CGI escape scene that served no purpose other than to set up a cringe worthy line of dialogue at the end. Or why Rose crashed into a Finn to "save" him, then went in for a quick kiss while their friends were all shot at by the massive laser that he was about to have then out. His character ark is pretty much complete anyway, it would have been a fitting end for him to go from running away from everything, to giving up everything. Or how Rey has had basically zero training and appears to be a full on Jedi now, Luke needed way more training, Anakin was a full on Jedi apprentice for years.

Ergh, the more I talk about it, the more my mind boggles. I will give this a second watch at some point, but I imagine it will stay at the very bottom of the list on my order of favorite Star Wars movies.

I do still like Kylo however, he is the only interesting character left in this franchise I think after this.
I can give you my opinions on each.

Ackbar, if you go by film's only was literally on screen for seconds through 5 films (OT/NT), so his death off screen didn't bother me as he was never that important of a character to me.

If you think about the years in between RotJ and TFA, it's very possible that Luke taught Leia how to use the force in that time. So we don't know the extent of her knowledge. As for the Door, while I agree it needed more exposition, I just figured they enabled some sort of Force Field to close off the deck from open space and then opened the door to let in. That's just my brain filling in their gaps though.

Rose crashing into Finn was pretty well explained by her, and that his death would have been more of a loss than just losing the run down base they were in.

Rey being able to control the force with Little training is explained by Snoke, Luke cutting himself off from the force left a gap and the Force always seeks balance. So with Snoke and Kylo Ren representing the Dark Side the Light Side needed an equal, enter Rey.

I also Like Kylo, many don't but I think he's interesting, especially psychologically as he's trying to live up to a person he only ever heard about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Yeah but if that was really who Luke was he would of killed his Dad (Vader) instead of trying to save him.

The Luke story in TLJ might of been fine for another Jedi character but based on what was established in the original 3 movies that's not who Luke was.

It's obvious this director wanted to throw everything about the original movies out the window and create his own "cool" version of Star Wars... From the laughing Yoda who can create lightning strikes as a ghost, Leia who can use the force to fly through space to Luke force projecting himself across the universe.

If Jedi could force project themselves to other planets why not just project themselves Into all the enemy bases so they could find out all their secrets.

Or if dead Jedi can do physical damage in the real world they could just take out all the bad guys, movie over....

The director just opened up a can of worms with his "cool" version of Star Wars...
You do realize it killed him to do that. Even Kylo tells Rey, when he first thinks she's projecting herself, "this can't be you, the strain would kill you"

Luke Projected himself knowing it would kill him, it's his redemption for exiling himself and not being with the Rebels. He kills himself to allow the rebels to live on.

Also, as Obi wan said in the OT, the Ghost Jedi "can not" interfere, now whether or not that's a choice or a rule, it's never explained neither then or now. But yes the lightening strike was a little cheesy. But Yoda Laughing, he did so in the OT, why wouldn't he laugh now?
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #967
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Finally saw this travesty, it was terrible. Every complaint valid. A completely disjointed plot which didn't even advance the story at all. Never thought I'd think the PQ was any good, but I'd watch those a thousand times over before this junk again.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #968
Luminous
Cyclops

- The Resistance is greatly reduced in numbers.
- Ben's final push towards the dark side was revealed.
- Snoke is dead.
- Kylo Ren is the new Supreme Leader.
- Rey better understands her purpose.
- Luke Skywalker is dead but not before giving rise to hope once more.

Yep, the story hasn't advanced one bit. Snoke is still in charge, Luke is going to train Rey, Finn is on life support and Maz Kanata is still going to hook up with Chewie for a tantalizing sex scene in the sequel.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #969
qz33
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Put them there as in she created them? I’d say no. They were clearly part of Luke’s Force projection IMO.

Left the dice after Luke handed them to her in the hopes Ben would find them? Highly likely given the dice were meant to symbolize that those we love are always with us.
I just saw this reply ha.

I know they started as Luke's projection.
By the time Kylo made it in their they established Luke was gone. He couldn't muster his own illusion any longer and between that and dying I kinda am led to believe the dice would have been gone.
Could be either way but I'd say them still being there was a little prelude to Leia's own magic as a message to her son.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:32 PM   #970
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
I can give you my opinions on each.

Ackbar, if you go by film's only was literally on screen for seconds through 5 films (OT/NT), so his death off screen didn't bother me as he was never that important of a character to me.

If you think about the years in between RotJ and TFA, it's very possible that Luke taught Leia how to use the force in that time. So we don't know the extent of her knowledge. As for the Door, while I agree it needed more exposition, I just figured they enabled some sort of Force Field to close off the deck from open space and then opened the door to let in. That's just my brain filling in their gaps though.

Rose crashing into Finn was pretty well explained by her, and that his death would have been more of a loss than just losing the run down base they were in.

Rey being able to control the force with Little training is explained by Snoke, Luke cutting himself off from the force left a gap and the Force always seeks balance. So with Snoke and Kylo Ren representing the Dark Side the Light Side needed an equal, enter Rey.

I also Like Kylo, many don't but I think he's interesting, especially psychologically as he's trying to live up to a person he only ever heard about.

You do realize it killed him to do that. Even Kylo tells Rey, when he first thinks she's projecting herself, "this can't be you, the strain would kill you"

Luke Projected himself knowing it would kill him, it's his redemption for exiling himself and not being with the Rebels. He kills himself to allow the rebels to live on.

Also, as Obi wan said in the OT, the Ghost Jedi "can not" interfere, now whether or not that's a choice or a rule, it's never explained neither then or now. But yes the lightening strike was a little cheesy. But Yoda Laughing, he did so in the OT, why wouldn't he laugh now?
There's a difference between a chuckle and a falling over laughing... And it was a pointless laugh at that... It was just stupid like most of the plots in this movie...

Bottom line, from the beginning where Luke is feeling sorry for himself, back flashes of him trying to kill his nephew to him killing himself to force project across the universe. It was all lame and it wasn't who Luke was, even Mark Hamill said as much....

The movie just had way to many cheesy moments in it... When I first saw it in the theaters I didn't think it was that bad until I started thinking more about the plot and then when I tried to watch it again on Blu-Ray I had to turn it off after about 20 mins... I just couldn't watch the story again...

How can you have the original 3 main characters from Star Wars and butcher their stories so badly...

IMO Kathleen Kennedy is to blame also, this is her version of Star Wars and it's a pretty crappy one.... They keep going in this direction the days of making a billion+ at the box office will end quickly... Without good stories people will grow tired of Star Wars quickly... especially when they're pumping out a new movie every year.