Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 11-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Sea scorpion, which measured 8 feet long, was once world's biggest bug

LONDON - This was a bug that you'd have to look up to and definitely couldn't step on.

British scientists have stumbled across a fossilized claw, part of an ancient sea scorpion, that is of such large proportion it would make the entire creature the biggest bug ever.

How big? Bigger than you, about 2.5 meters, or 8 feet, long.

The discovery in 390-million-year-old rocks also suggests that spiders, insects, crabs and similar creatures were much larger in the past than previously thought, said Simon Braddy, a paleontologist from the University of Bristol and one of the study's three authors.

"This is an amazing discovery," Braddy said Tuesday.

"We have known for some time that the fossil record yields monster millipedes, super-sized scorpions, colossal ****roaches and jumbo dragonflies. But we never realized until now just how big some of these ancient creepy-crawlies were," he said.

The research found a type of sea scorpion that was almost half a meter longer than previous estimates and the largest one ever to have evolved.

The study, published online Tuesday in the Royal Society's journal Biology Letters, also means that before this sea scorpion became extinct it was much longer than today's average man is tall.

Prof. Jeorg W. Schneider, a paleontologist at Freiberg Mining Academy in southeastern Germany, praised the study, saying it provides new information about how big the ancient scorpions became.

"These 2.5-meter ones were the last of the giant scorpions," said Schneider, who was not involved in the study. "These scorpions were dominant for millions of years because they didn't have natural enemies. Eventually they were wiped out by large fish with jaws and teeth."

Braddy's partner paleontologist Markus Poschmann found the claw fossil several years ago in a quarry near Prum, Germany, that probably had once been an ancient estuary or swamp.

"I was loosening pieces of rock with a hammer and chisel when I suddenly realized there was a dark patch of organic matter on a freshly removed slab. After some cleaning I could identify this as a small part of a large claw," said Poschmann, another author of the study.

"Although I did not know if it was more complete or not, I decided to try and get it out. The pieces had to be cleaned separately, dried and then glued back together. It was then put into a white plaster jacket to stabilize it," he said.

Eurypterids, or ancient sea scorpions, are believed to be the extinct aquatic ancestors of today's scorpions and possibly all arachnids, a class of joint-legged, invertebrate animals, including spiders, scorpions, mites and ticks.

In an interview, Braddy said the fossil was from a Jaekelopterus Rhenaniae, a kind of scorpion that lived only in Germany for about 10 million years, about 400 million years ago.

He said some geologists believe that gigantic sea scorpions evolved due to higher levels of oxygen in the atmosphere in the past. Others suspect they evolved in an "arms race" alongside their likely prey, fish that had armor on their outer bodies.

Braddy said the sea scorpions also were cannibals that fought and ate one other, so it helped to be as big as they could be.

"The competition between this scorpion and its prey was probably like a nuclear standoff, an effort to have the biggest weapon," he said. "Hundreds of millions of years ago, these sea scorpions had the upper hand over vertebrates — backboned animals like ourselves."

That competition ended a long time ago.

But Braddy said the next time you swat a fly or squish a spider at home "think about the insects that lived long ago. You wouldn't want to swat one of those."

dude i am not crushing one of those for my wife. we would have to move
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
riderV3
ROT Minister of Scientific Emergency Management

Dang never thought they're THAT big, some fossils I've seen are no bigger than 10 inches, this is a monster!
riderV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Teague
Iron Man

Holy Shmoley. I hate scorpions.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Bugs are the scariest things. Seeing on that large would have me running
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:36 PM   #5
MrYac
Hercules

i wonder if it would taste anything like lobster.....
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
collector49
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I fought one of these during my time travels. Nasty bastich tried to lay eggs inside my skull. I pushed a blasting cap inside its gullet and swam away. I can still taste the scorpion-blood-tainted water like it was yesterday.

Believe it.
collector49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:08 PM   #7
collector49
A day without sunshine is like... night.

In the real world, I once worked for a museum. I became interested in all sorts of fossils, including these bad boys...

This is a fossil Ammonite. It is the ancestor to the modern Nautilus. Amazingly, the specimen pictured above is not the largest I have seen. Imagine a creature with strong tentacles, a bone crushing "beak" and a high level of intelligence. Then house that inside a nearly impenetrable shell. Prehistory is awesome!
collector49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:00 PM   #8
SD RUM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Imagine if those things still existed!!! RUN!!!
SD RUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:05 PM   #9
Alex655321
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

So much cool stuff is still waiting to be discovered out there!

Awesome find
Alex655321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:01 PM   #10
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Agree! Hard to believe we've explored more of space than we have of our oceans
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote