Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-02-2019, 03:54 PM   #581
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav View Post
Edition size normally drives up cost and availability. For large ES items you can often get them on the secondary market for a steep discount.

They also take forever to sell out, so you have quite a while to make a decision, and can prioritize other statues, or even wait for in hand pics to make your decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
Yes it mostly has to do with resale but also how much they depreciate. Why would I spend $700 plus shipping and taxes on Gambit if I can wait until release and pick him up for $500 shipped?
Very well said, none is going to be worth more only less for the most part going forward. People still get mad when the es talk comes up which is kind of outdated. Once the es is brought up people just immediately jump to your trying to make a profit off the statue only which is ridiculous these days when nothing is barely worth squat. As mention above these days waiting for the es means why pay full price when you can get it month after release for 25-50% off depending on es.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:36 PM   #582
srttoz
Mephisto

I'm glad there's edition sizes but at the same time I'm also glad they're not as low as they used to be because it was just straight up scalpers buying them to resell at a higher price. F that.
srttoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:32 PM   #583
craigcliff1
Zot

Yes this could be cheaper when it does come out, but I thought that with the origianl. I was set to order the EX when it was on PPO and said you know what I can get it cheaper when it comes out, then in summer I was trying to find a deal I was like no way, not just no deal but the one's for sale were double retail. Shows you how things use to go up a piece could double within 1/2 a year or so. This piece could go up also but I would think not, but it might
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #584
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcliff1 View Post
Yes this could be cheaper when it does come out, but I thought that with the origianl. I was set to order the EX when it was on PPO and said you know what I can get it cheaper when it comes out, then in summer I was trying to find a deal I was like no way, not just no deal but the one's for sale were double retail. Shows you how things use to go up a piece could double with 1/2 a years or so. This piece could go up also but I would think not, but it might
Going back like 5-8 years and now is very different now in this hobby. Back then everything was rare and had a tiny es. These days almost no chance imo.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:45 PM   #585
craigcliff1
Zot

Couldn't agree more, but once in a while a statue does sell out and go up with a high ES. Shaak Ti PF did with 3500.
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:41 PM   #586
nearmint
Phoenix

Elektra EX gone.
Daredevil EX and REG gone.
Wonder Woman REG gone.
Psylocke EX and REG gone.
Green Arrow EX gone.
Rogue EX gone.

Not everything can be had for half retail.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:39 PM   #587
Danii99
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Elektra EX gone.
Wonder Woman REG gone.
Green Arrow EX gone.
Rogue EX gone.

Juggernaut Maquette EX gone once everyone saw how amazing it looked.
Danii99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:40 PM   #588
Danii99
Birdman

Even though that Juggernaut Maquette had a crazy price.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #589
Danii99
Birdman

The thought of waiting till it goes down in price was popular with that maquette but it went to waitlist immediately when SDCC came around
Old 09-02-2019, 08:40 PM   #590
D-ten
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Elektra EX gone.
Wonder Woman REG gone.
Green Arrow EX gone.
Rogue EX gone.

They may be sold out just now but I bet you can still get one for retail or under and in due course they will be had for less.

I was thinking the other day about how I used to collect those Marvel Legends figures. I had a pretty big collection but decided to sell them off a couple of years ago. Sometimes when I see new releases for Legends being issued I regret not keeping my collection so I decided to look at how much it would cost to buy them up again. The vast majority of figures - now sold out have either kept their value or gone up significantly, sometimes doubling, even tripling in value.

Bottom line is, the cheap, plastic, unlimited and mass produced toys that some on these forums would mock others for collecting hold their value better than these limited, 'prestige' pieces. I think for the simple reason that they are way overpriced and not worth it in the first place. Times like that I really have to wonder what I'm doing in this hobby.

Even Hot Toys hold their value better - I also sold off collection of them and had a much easier time shifting them at a decent price than I do statues. And at least they get the eyes right more often than not.
D-ten is offline   Reply With Quote