Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-20-2017, 12:27 PM   #5281
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
Hey SS, if you found that your statue was in need of improvement, allow first run buyers to return and upgrade at a reasonable cost. Don't reward late adopters!
Would be appreciated but won't hold my breath. Hopefully we never see another 7500-10000 ES piece like these.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #5282
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

It's great that most of everyone's original pieces turned out great (I'm in a similar boat defending my Catwoman PF because I happened to not get one affected by the saggy mixed media or googly eyes many had) but the potential for leaning is undeniable with the design, whether that's due to the cape's heaviness or collectors' non-temperature-controlled display environments.

I'd rather them fix the issue than worry about pissing off previous buyers who were less lucky. With companies like H.M.O. testing stability in ovens before finalizing production, there's no excuse for SS to ship new batches without additional support or better weight distribution. People may complain about the price hike, but that's (likely) just the cost to put this up to the standard of current pieces, whether it's for longevity or a paint app that displays better with newer JL pieces.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #5283
Thegameman2011
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I missed the ex and so I just got my reg last week. I am very happy with it. Worth the wait I would not pay the prices they are asking for the ex in the aftermarket.
Thegameman2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:04 PM   #5284
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
Hey SS, if you found that your statue was in need of improvement, allow first run buyers to return and upgrade at a reasonable cost. Don't reward late adopters!
I wouldn't want them to charge me a damn thing. You should get the upgrade without the upcharge. )I made the same rant in the WW thread because I was hosed with her)

This is SS blatantly stating they cut corners, knew outcomes of cutting such corners, and went ahead with it anyway. On top of that, they hose their loyal customer who purchased this piece straight away, regardless of the astronomical edition size.

Bought a piece out of love, just be given a substandard piece. If his is true, and collectors are a smart bunch, it's just a stone cold move by SS.

But what do we know, we are just the 3%....
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #5285
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
I'd rather them fix the issue than worry about pissing off previous buyers who were less lucky. With companies like H.M.O. testing stability in ovens before finalizing production, there's no excuse for SS to ship new batches without additional support or better weight distribution. People may complain about the price hike, but that's (likely) just the cost to put this up to the standard of current pieces, whether it's for longevity or a paint app that displays better with newer JL pieces.
I agree, fix the problem. Or better yet, don't cut the structural support corners to begin with. I'm fine paying more for a structurally sound, well painted piece.

What happens when somebody who already owns Superman comes to find him leaning? Do you really think SS is going to exchange it for the owner -- FREE of any charges?!

I sure don't.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:55 AM   #5286
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

I just got this statue in. He does not stand on the base very snugly, so immediately the cape makes him lean slightly. Anyone else notice this?
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:11 AM   #5287
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I agree, fix the problem. Or better yet, don't cut the structural support corners to begin with. I'm fine paying more for a structurally sound, well painted piece.

What happens when somebody who already owns Superman comes to find him leaning? Do you really think SS is going to exchange it for the owner -- FREE of any charges?!

I sure don't.
As cynical a person as I am in real life, I don't see the point in asking me whether SS would replace someone's statue or not (I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone tries and posts about the experience.) If you bring up the leaning issue in some circles, owners of the original get defensive and say there's is fine while others who've seen forum posts to the contrary say SS really ----ed up.

I'm somewhere in the middle in thinking, yes, the issue is serious but not as easy to blame on cut corners as opposed to ignorance from being an older piece. It doesn't seem to have been manufactured any differently than PFs of the past and wasn't posed in a dynamic way that necessarily justified a metal support rod like recent pieces, such as Spider-Man and Captain Marvel obviously have. They tried to make a huge cape; it came out too heavy for the polystone to support. Some people simply rearranged the base pads to correct the balance, others added an extra piece to support the cape or rested it against the display case.

H.M.O. may cook statues in ovens now to test leaning potential, but I doubt there would've been much course to predict the issue back then, other than to monitor one of the production pieces for a length of time before sending it out. Should collectors get replacements from the new batch if their older one leans? Sure. But if they don't, I don't think it reflects as much on SS being cheapskates as other bait-and-switch scenarios we've seen in the past involving decals, PVC, etc. It doesn't seem realistic to think they intentionally sent out pieces that wouldn't even survive long enough to see the JL line completed. Imagine the ES was so high for the Trinity for the purpose of always being available for latecomers wanting to build the team when newer pieces are announced.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:22 AM   #5288
Vracula
Jedi Order

Got him a cloth cape after he started leaning abit . Very happy!
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:39 AM   #5289
equi-nox76
Alpha Flight

I got a fabric cape from the start (also for Batman), saw it coming.
equi-nox76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:52 AM   #5290
pokritz17
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post

Got him a cloth cape after he started leaning abit . Very happy!
looks great! about to pull the trigger on one as well
pokritz17 is offline   Reply With Quote