Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-23-2011, 07:24 AM   #11
BLACK OPS
The Herculoids

Hi, i live in Ireland and Fedex charged me 21% and when i questioned them on it they reduced it to 13.5%.
BLACK OPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #12
Juggernaut
The Falcon

Thanks for the info.

I'm curious how much VAT I'm gonna have to pay when I'm from Denmark.

Depending on how much that will be I will only buy from the EU in the future and only get the exclusive from SS when it's an absolute must have.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #13
Python
Omega Red

I gave HMRC a ring yesterday to confirm this as iv heard many people saying ss collectables should be 5%, i was told this is incorrect, they are only counted as art if less than 12 pieces are made and all are slightly different, we are charged customs duty at 1.7% and VAT at 20% which is added last so includes item value, shipping and customs charges etc which takes the biscuit, then theres the parcel force/RM release fee. I had been thinking about ordering a few things direct but this has changed my mind, has anyone ever actually got VAT down to 5% in the UK??
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #14
Juggernaut
The Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I gave HMRC a ring yesterday to confirm this as iv heard many people saying ss collectables should be 5%, i was told this is incorrect, they are only counted as art if less than 12 pieces are made and all are slightly different, we are charged customs duty at 1.7% and VAT at 20% which is added last so includes item value, shipping and customs charges etc which takes the biscuit, then theres the parcel force/RM release fee. I had been thinking about ordering a few things direct but this has changed my mind, has anyone ever actually got VAT down to 5% in the UK??
So the 20% will be charged on my CC along with the statue and shipping?

Or is the 20% what Fedex will bill me later on?
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
Dirt Torpedo
The Thunderbolts

Quote:
I checked about a year ago and realised 5% didn't apply to Sideshow statues but wasn't going to say anything while we were getting away with it.

I've always had 5% unless it was brought in by Parcelforce [they charge £15 handling fee not £10 like Fedex] they always applied 20%.
Dirt Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #16
chaggs1
Luke Cage

Quote:
Dude - no to statues are the same as an example paint work
chaggs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #17
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
So the 20% will be charged on my CC along with the statue and shipping?

Or is the 20% what Fedex will bill me later on?
no, you get a seperate bill once its in the uk in the form of a letter, they wont deliver your item until you pay up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Torpedo View Post
I checked about a year ago and realised 5% didn't apply to Sideshow statues but wasn't going to say anything while we were getting away with it.

I've always had 5% unless it was brought in by Parcelforce [they charge £15 handling fee not £10 like Fedex] they always applied 20%.
So how were you getting away with it? every single piece iv ever purchased from the USA has been handled by Parcel force this side and they are buggers to deal with, wont budge on anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaggs1 View Post
Dude - no to statues are the same as an example paint work
Well this was my point, it didnt get me very far, there point was if 500 are being made, or even a thousand then they are mass produced and not art...
Old 06-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #18
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
no, you get a seperate bill once its in the uk in the form of a letter, they wont deliver your item until you pay up.

So how were you getting away with it? every single piece iv ever purchased from the USA has been handled by Parcel force this side and they are buggers to deal with, wont budge on anything.

1. No with Fedex they deliver it to you first. You get a letter telling you to pay the custom charges about a week later.

2. Fedex deemed Sideshow products as original art sculptures in the past and applied 5% VAT. There were times when we still got hit by 20% but were able to argue it and have it changed to 5%. Fedex has now cleared things up and they are no longer classified as original art sculptures so it will always be 20% from now on
darren1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #19
Python
Omega Red

Well Boooo! its noy like we don't pay enough already...
Old 06-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #20
Dirt Torpedo
The Thunderbolts

Quote:

Fedex deliver the item first, Parcelforce hold it until payments met.

I got away with it as I went the undeclared value route from US dealers [Parcelforce still charge a handling fee] Sideshows quality is now at a stage you'd be a fool to use this method as you have no comeback if it's damaged or flawed.
Dirt Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote