Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #11
zteinr
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

I do both. I buy pieces that I have shared a moment with and I buy pieces with a style that I really appreciate. Havent sold anything yet.
zteinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:57 AM   #12
Roar12
Frackin!

Ill buy 1/4, 1/6 or whatever, statues or figures.
As long as I love the piece.
Roar12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:20 AM   #13
Griffon
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Yes, the collectibles i bought & pre-ordered come from books, comics, shows, films, & games i've enjoyed.
Griffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:45 PM   #14
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I have a connection to all of mine in some way. Mostly just characters I have grown up watching or reading and continue to do so. But I have actually found since getting into this hobby to have a greater appreciation for the "art" of sculpting and statues in general. For example, if I had money I would start getting some Court of the Dead statues knowing nothing of the characters or where they even come from. I just think they are incredible works of art. I even take detours in malls to look at and admire various porcelain statues or wood carvings I would have never looked at before. So no, I don't think a statue has to have a deep rooted sentimental value to you in order to appreciate it.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #15
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeenz View Post
How much of your collection are statues you buy just because you like the look of it and have no connection or meaning to you ?

I dont really relate to a lot of characters so buy a statue just because i like it as a thing of beauty or art.

Needless to say i have quite an eclectic statue collection but I get a lot of enjoyment just picking them up and admiring them.

Just wondering if im in the minority or do most of you also buy like this occasionally.
If I buy a statue, it has connected with me on one level or another. Whether that connection is due to its beauty or due to my being a fan of the character, its still a connection. If I don't feel a connection to a piece, I don't buy it. And liking a piece due to its beauty is just as relevant as any other reason for buying a statue.

So no, I do not buy statues unless they have connected with me one one level or another. Again, that connection can be its beauty, my liking the character, or even a feeling of nostalgia from something from my childhood. If there is no connection at all, it winds up being a very easy pass.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #16
protector2814
Phoenix

I collect(ed)/buy comic book & sword & sorcery themed statues because I love reading comics & s&s paperbacks. I buy the characters whom I love reading.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote