Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-01-2022, 08:34 PM   #141
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
Theres a DKIII statue?
Yep, the Master Race piece where he's standing on the giant eagle head.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:39 PM   #142
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
Theres a DKIII statue?
Yes and no.

It’s licensed under DKIII, probably because of the comic cover, but storywise I believe it’s still based off of the first one and not the third one.

Though I don’t believe I’ve ever read the third one, as all the TPB’s or hardcovers I bought only ever included the first two at the time.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:43 PM   #143
gra007
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
Unfortunately it?s just a flawed concept, especially for a large scale statue. In the original art that skinny bolt of lightning is miles away, now he?s attached to it. This is going to look really weird from any other angle than what they have already shown. It comes across as him sliding down a chunk of ice rather than jumping through the night with a bolt of lightning behind him

The sculpt on Batman himself looks pretty fantastic, I really like the look of the portrait, cowl and cape in particular
This is my feeling too. I don?t know if it?s going to look good from any other angle than this one shown, or a direct side view. I feel like there?s no displaying this anywhere past this 3/4 view to his left side.

The sculpt is nice, but doesn?t floor me. There?s a lot of odd shapes going on in his chest, especially that right pec and the sunken ribs and mentioned above. DK bats didn?t have a really craggy modern Miller face either. His art was still clean then. This looks like it?s based on more recent Miller bat-faces.
gra007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 12:03 AM   #144
gomur
The Tick

Wish they had properly executed the Yellow Oval Comic Bats.

They seem to have done justice to Frank Miller's Batman - though they again take liberties with the belt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1200_previewbanner_3008005_Batman.jpg
Views:	1000
Size:	445.9 KB
ID:	145241  
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 01:27 AM   #145
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
The rib area underneath his left pec looks off. Seems sort of sunken in.
Yeah that is weird looking anatomy. Both sides seem to be like that though.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 03:37 AM   #146
becakbagus
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post

Wish they had properly executed the Yellow Oval Comic Bats.

They seem to have done justice to Frank Miller's Batman - though they again take liberties with the belt.
this looks very cool
becakbagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:14 AM   #147
AC_808
Hercules

The Frank Miller Batman was never my favorite version anyway, so this has no impact on me. The sculpt is ok, I guess.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 07:50 AM   #148
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by becakbagus View Post
this looks very cool
Man, don't understand the pushback on this one, as I now consider it a masterpiece. If not a masterpiece, definitely the most finely detailed & the best, coolest representation of this Miller bats take. And an extra plus is that Miller's design obviously lends itself well to a buff Bats, with Bel sculpting a magnificent version, with really strong influences of Martin Canale screaming throughout. Masterful work.

As for the lightening bolt drama? Laughable at best. I mean if any of the critics/complainers actually swallowed the horrendous base, & tacky tubing from the Freeze statue(?), (as I have), we should easily be able to devour, & enjoy this outstanding offering, at an even cheaper price! A no-brainer.

Don't get needlessly blinded by a bolt of light, instead rejoice in this bloodied, battered, bat-clawed wielding, buffed-out the darkest of knights.

P.S. As always, my only "complaint" with these leaping/flying poses is the lack of height/loft provided. If Sideshow could reasonably maximize the heights of these flying type poses, it would add so much more to the very sense of presence of these statues. If the Lightening bolt could somehow be narrowed to it's extreme, and elongated even further, to it's "reasonable" maximum? Would provide more viewing/display angles, would more closely mimic a narrow lightening strike adding to the effect, and lastly provide that lacking loft, which would literally take this sculpt to the top.

Provided Sideshow can somehow use a material that's strong enough to support the figure, and narrow the width of the bolt to it's max, it can be done.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:10 AM   #149
SkilledButton
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
Man, don't understand the pushback on this one, as I now consider it a masterpiece. If not a masterpiece, definitely the most finely detailed & the best, coolest representation of this Miller bats take. And an extra plus is that Miller's design obviously lends itself well to a buff Bats, with Bel sculpting a magnificent version, with really strong influences of Martin Canale screaming throughout. Masterful work.

As for the lightening bolt drama? Laughable at best. I mean if any of the critics/complainers actually swallowed the horrendous base, & tacky tubing from the Freeze statue(?), (as I have), we should easily be able to devour, & enjoy this outstanding offering, at an even cheaper price! A no-brainer.

Don't get needlessly blinded by a bolt of light, instead rejoice in this bloodied, battered, bat-clawed wielding, buffed-out the darkest of knights.
Kinda the thing about opinions man, we all have different ones.

I really don't like this piece at all, but I haven't said much since the reveal because I don't want to suck any enjoyment from others who are POing this and looking forward to it.

Since it IS just an opinion, I really wanted to like this and .... I really don't. I don't like the anatomy on Batman, even though yes, its very Frank Miller and anyone can see that, I just think it looks really off. I also hate the bolt, it looks tacky. Just my opinion, since you made the comment about it. If you are happy with it, think it's great and are buying it, awesome! Glad you do, hopefully it turns out nice in production. Just not my style, not my Batman and I'd have strongly considered buying this, if it wasn't plastered to a weird lightning bolt and had a different pose but again, to each their own... At the cost of buying these things, I need to love it, not think it's just ok. So, unfortunately for me, the long wait continues.
SkilledButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 12:10 PM   #150
ilsensine
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
Man, don't understand the pushback on this one, as I now consider it a masterpiece. If not a masterpiece, definitely the most finely detailed & the best, coolest representation of this Miller bats take.
Well, I'll try to explain, at least from my point of view. Primarily, for me, it is because the movement is all wrong, the ice shard is goofy, and in general it just doesn't translate well.

For example, the individual parts are mostly good, and I like the head sculpt, but the more you try to make sense of the piece as a whole, the more issues you see. The differences between the pose/base/lightning bolt versus the comic cover actually have a huge impact on what it looks like he is doing.

As someone else said, it looks like he is sliding down a shard of ice. Of course, he is attached to it, because they had to attach him to something, but the pose itself looks more like he is doing a vertical jump, straight up from the gargoyle just a couple feet below him. That totally destroys the cover's negative space in which he is flying through a distant sky.

If they could fix the lightning bolt and then instead of a gargoyle base make it some miniature rooftops or something (for example, the way Iron Studios did it with their 1/10 Dark Knight and Robin) then that might better translate. As it is, to me it looks like he is jumping up in surprise as a giant shard of ice bursts through the gargoyle below him.

I'll withhold final judgment until more pics/angles, but I actually think it's going to get worse as this is probably the best angle. And as it is zoomed in, we are really fixating on the figure itself, which is the best part. I think it will be a lot worse when you back up, particularly if next to other statues, when the relative size of the ice shard and base (more than one half the total height of the statue) is harder to ignore.
ilsensine is offline   Reply With Quote