Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #111
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

That is a great start and looks good so far.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #112
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

leave the foot. have that be liefeld's contribution.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #113
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
I wouldn't let him touch any of my jams..........ever.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #114
Marvelcap
Fantastic Four

Thanks for the comments and imput.

Quote:

You probably want to stick with artists that do their commissions with inks for this piece.
Good point. Definitely something I need to make sure of up-front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
The Batman and Hulk layouts seem a bit tighter than the others though.
Mr. Atkins told me he was either going to finish Cap or Batman so I think that's why he is more detailed. He e-mailed me "I probably went a little too detailed with the Hulk". I think he was enjoying laying out the piece and got a little carried away.
I'm assuming it is fine to tell the artist finishing the character to just erase or ignore whatever part of the layout they don't need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Looks nice. Can ou get rid of the Hulks foot?
Quote:
It took me a while to spot Hulk's foot hanging out over there. Both of these suggestions accomplish the same thing so I will keep both in mind.
Marvelcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #115
Fanboy
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Looks great.

Nice character selection. Can't wait to see how this comes along.
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #116
dagouch17
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

The layout looks great!!!

If you're worried about it being too detailed make sure you tell the artist that you want on it you want their pencils over it or just erase it. if you let them assume some will just ink it over.

That's why when I have mine done I always ask for pencils just in case if it's not tight enough. An inker can come in at the end to fix it up.

Also Here's my LAST JAM before addittions in NYCC. I should have a minimum of two artists with a possible third.

layouts by Olivier Coipel.

dagouch17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #117
Marvelcap
Fantastic Four

Day 1:

The first couple of hours of the show I was able to take the piece around and get on some lists. I found some of the artists already booked for the day. Because of the large crowd and my position on the lists no artist was able to work on the piece. The piece looked exactly the same at 6:00pm as it did at 10:00am. This was kind of discouraging and made me wonder how I was going to get everything that I had lined up done in just one day.

Day 2:

Lee Weeks: Thor

Lee Weeks offered to take the piece with him and work on it the evening of the first day. I didn’t realize it at the time but his generous offer to do this allowed all the other pieces to fall into place the final day of the show. Working on it after the show, adding a great Thor and the time I got to spend talking to him makes Lee Weeks the MVP of this jam in my book.

Jorge Molina: Superman

When I asked Jorge Molina what character he had interest in doing he almost immediately said Superman. He said he didn’t get the chance to work on DC characters much. I gave him the piece after I picked it up the morning of the second day from Lee Weeks. I came back to Molina’s table before he said he would be finished to watch him work to find a really nice, clean Superman completed ahead of schedule which really helped keep the jam moving along.

Michael Golden: Hulk

When I asked Golden’s rep Rene what character she thought he would be interested in doing she said Hulk. I thought a Golden Hulk would be amazing for this piece. But since Hulk was one of the more detailed figures I was concerned that Golden might be too true to the pencil and I’m sure way overstated the fact that the pencil detail should be ignored. When I saw the piece I was very happy to see a Hulk that is definitely Golden and definitely amazing.

Humberto Ramos: Wonder Woman

I missed getting on his list on the first day and was the last one on his list the second day. He had to leave the show early so I was concerned that he would not get to work on it before he had to go. Joseph was working at his table and went above and beyond to help facilitate getting the piece into Ramos’ hands to add a great Wonder Woman to the piece before he had to leave.

Mike McKone: Green Lantern

Mike McKone was very patient and understanding. I came up on his list early on Sunday but I had to make him wait until he had completed everything on his list and only about an hour before the show was over before bringing the piece to him. I asked if he could do Batman instead of the GL that we agreed on but he said he could not do his best work on Batman in that short amount of time. I will have to make sure I get another piece from him sometime in the future.

Alan Davis: Iron Man

Alan Davis was doing pencil only headshots so I really didn’t think about him working on the jam. I was talking to Jason Hickok on the first day of the show about Davis and the jam piece and he said that since Iron Man was a small figure to ask Davis about working on it. They capped Davis’ line during the whole show which kept things manageable at his table but every time I looked there was someone holding an “end of the line” sign. While McKone was finishing up GL I noticed that Davis at the next table had no line. When McKone was done I just walked up to Davis and asked if he would consider working on Iron Man. He looked at the piece, considered it and said that it would be in pencil only. I said that was fine. I was jazzed to get anything from him and figured I wouldn’t have any problem finding someone willing to put ink down on some Alan Davis pencils. After working on it a bit he said he would go ahead and finish it up. His willingness to do this after what I am sure were a couple of long days of drawing turned a great day at the show into an extra special one.

Marvelcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #118
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelcap View Post
Day 1:

The first couple of hours of the show I was able to take the piece around and get on some lists. I found some of the artists already booked for the day. Because of the large crowd and my position on the lists no artist was able to work on the piece. The piece looked exactly the same at 6:00pm as it did at 10:00am. This was kind of discouraging and made me wonder how I was going to get everything that I had lined up done in just one day.

Day 2:

Lee Weeks: Thor

Lee Weeks offered to take the piece with him and work on it the evening of the first day. I didn’t realize it at the time but his generous offer to do this allowed all the other pieces to fall into place the final day of the show. Working on it after the show, adding a great Thor and the time I got to spend talking to him makes Lee Weeks the MVP of this jam in my book.

Jorge Molina: Superman

When I asked Jorge Molina what character he had interest in doing he almost immediately said Superman. He said he didn’t get the chance to work on DC characters much. I gave him the piece after I picked it up the morning of the second day from Lee Weeks. I came back to Molina’s table before he said he would be finished to watch him work to find a really nice, clean Superman completed ahead of schedule which really helped keep the jam moving along.

Michael Golden: Hulk

When I asked Golden’s rep Rene what character she thought he would be interested in doing she said Hulk. I thought a Golden Hulk would be amazing for this piece. But since Hulk was one of the more detailed figures I was concerned that Golden might be too true to the pencil and I’m sure way overstated the fact that the pencil detail should be ignored. When I saw the piece I was very happy to see a Hulk that is definitely Golden and definitely amazing.

Humberto Ramos: Wonder Woman

I missed getting on his list on the first day and was the last one on his list the second day. He had to leave the show early so I was concerned that he would not get to work on it before he had to go. Joseph was working at his table and went above and beyond to help facilitate getting the piece into Ramos’ hands to add a great Wonder Woman to the piece before he had to leave.

Mike McKone: Green Lantern

Mike McKone was very patient and understanding. I came up on his list early on Sunday but I had to make him wait until he had completed everything on his list and only about an hour before the show was over before bringing the piece to him. I asked if he could do Batman instead of the GL that we agreed on but he said he could not do his best work on Batman in that short amount of time. I will have to make sure I get another piece from him sometime in the future.

Alan Davis: Iron Man

Alan Davis was doing pencil only headshots so I really didn’t think about him working on the jam. I was talking to Jason Hickok on the first day of the show about Davis and the jam piece and he said that since Iron Man was a small figure to ask Davis about working on it. They capped Davis’ line during the whole show which kept things manageable at his table but every time I looked there was someone holding an “end of the line” sign. While McKone was finishing up GL I noticed that Davis at the next table had no line. When McKone was done I just walked up to Davis and asked if he would consider working on Iron Man. He looked at the piece, considered it and said that it would be in pencil only. I said that was fine. I was jazzed to get anything from him and figured I wouldn’t have any problem finding someone willing to put ink down on some Alan Davis pencils. After working on it a bit he said he would go ahead and finish it up. His willingness to do this after what I am sure were a couple of long days of drawing turned a great day at the show into an extra special one.

Wow, that really came together well. I saw it at Lee’s table – can’t believe you got that much completed on the final day. Congrats on a great jam!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #119
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

wow! excellent write-up and great jam piece. very nice job! will shoot you a pm on Lee.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #120
Bishop40
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

lee's thor is amazing, not sure why ramos keeps dodging the feet on his commissions recently but the rest of ww looks good.
Bishop40 is offline   Reply With Quote