Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-29-2018, 02:06 PM   #24181
Python
Omega Red

Deadpool 2: 7.5/10

Another enjoyable blu ray pick up this weekend. I really liked the first, I expected much the same of this one and I wasn't disappointed. I do think that this franchise has to be careful going forward with regards to not trying too hard to force the tone and jokes etc which could easily become stale (there are minor examples of that in this one already) But for now, this was very enjoyable. And JB as cable was a surprisingly decent addition, his role wasn't really what I expected. Definitely worth a watch if you enjoyed the first one.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:02 PM   #24182
protector2814
Phoenix

Ghost Stories (2018) 7/10

Absolutely an "I'd never heard of this movie" I read something about this on one of my fb groups, it sounded interesting. So I gave it a chance.

British horror very much reminiscent of my favorite Amicus horror movies, although severely updated. Definitely a British anthology horror film with 3 great, although slightly unsatisfying, tales, grouped & threaded around a central theme (which takes a bit of time being revealed). The 3 tales are pure ghost-stories; excellent & terrifying. But then ... we're given the "wrap-up" & while it still reminds me of an Amicus come-together, I found it wayyyy to dark & unsettling. Worth a watch if you like ghost stories, but the ending derails the beauty of the tales.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:06 PM   #24183
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Minority Report (2002) - 8.5/10
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:21 AM   #24184
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Ghost Stories (2018) 7/10

Absolutely an "I'd never heard of this movie" I read something about this on one of my fb groups, it sounded interesting. So I gave it a chance.

British horror very much reminiscent of my favorite Amicus horror movies, although severely updated. Definitely a British anthology horror film with 3 great, although slightly unsatisfying, tales, grouped & threaded around a central theme (which takes a bit of time being revealed). The 3 tales are pure ghost-stories; excellent & terrifying. But then ... we're given the "wrap-up" & while it still reminds me of an Amicus come-together, I found it wayyyy to dark & unsettling. Worth a watch if you like ghost stories, but the ending derails the beauty of the tales.
Never heard of it either.

I’m about to start my month long Halloween horror marathon and have just added this to my list based on your recommendation.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:53 AM   #24185
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Never heard of it either.

I’m about to start my month long Halloween horror marathon and have just added this to my list based on your recommendation.
It's fun, especially during October, to see 1 or 2 good horror movies that you've never seen before. Each year it gets harder & harder for me. This one fit the bill.

Nic Cage's Mandy is next. I'm hearing a ton of great things about that one.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #24186
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:

Mandy was an odd one, interested to see some other opinions.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #24187
protector2814
Phoenix

I live near the American Film Institute (AFI) theater & they're showing Mandy on the 5th. Think I'm gonna see it then.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:03 PM   #24188
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
It's fun, especially during October, to see 1 or 2 god horror movies that you've never seen before. Each year it gets harder & harder for me. This one fit the bill.

Now Mandy I’m really looking forward to. Mostly because I’m a huge fan of Panos Cosmatos’ previous film Beyond the Black Rainbow. His style is very Kubrick-esque. Definitely not for everyone, but I tend to enjoy odd films that are heavy on atmosphere.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:05 AM   #24189
Vracula
Jedi Order

Green Room - 9/10 The last time I saw a movie take such a twisted turn for the good was From Dawn till Dusk . I just love it when movies do it , as someone who got sick and tired of the gore genre this was so refreshing and I didn't get annoyed at any charachter for doing something stupid infact they did ---- that I wouldn't have thought of. And Patrick Stewart as cold and calculating skin head was refreshing role for him.

A Simple Favor - 7/10

A great thriller for 75% of the movie after which it becomes a chick flick. Despite the disappointment the movie was enjoyable , Anna Kendrick is quirky funny as usual , Blake Lively steals the show with her unpredictable performance ,absolutley mesmerising, she needs bigger roles I reckon.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:17 AM   #24190
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
Mandy was an odd one, interested to see some other opinions.
I'd give Mandy a 7.5 out of 10.
It was visually excellent and the music was perfectly fitting.Overall it was a decent horror film..Manson Family meets Hellraiser seems like an appropriate description. Cage gave a great performance, he was exactly the man for this part. It felt as though the movie kind of dragged in places, and I could have used more focus on the revenge half of the movie.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote