Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 04-26-2016, 03:07 AM   #1651
built2shred
Phoenix

I normally would take pictures but I don't have place to put her so I just kept her in the box... I'm waiting for some custom made cabinets to be finished....
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:33 AM   #1652
dreamsculptures
Doh!

Buy Tapestries Online

We all wish to have a fine painting or an art piece hanging on our drawing room’s wall. Decorating our home is something everyone likes.
dreamsculptures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:29 AM   #1653
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuhayabusa6787 View Post
got her in today not going to bullsh*t anyone i would strongly make sure i see her in person before purchasing her. for a 669.00 statue gentle giant just dropped the ball. this is my first piece by them so this pains me. face just not there. sloppy paintwork on foot charm. REALLY sloppy. hand holding spear is darker then rest of body. second whisper statue i've seen with this problem. i'm happy with her for price i paid but if i paid gentle giant price sh*t would really get real. lets hope derby is better and rest of line. like i said hand being darker i've seen it before. maybe its just my foot charm that got messed up but for a retail price of 669 plus shipping and edition size of 600 this thing should be close to fuc*king perfect.
Ok I love the gg details and so well done sculpts as well as great qc overall. I didn't buy this line. But I saw her at my local comic shop a few days ago while looking at the ss court of the dead. My honest thoughts were wow! Did gg really do this one? It looked a bit lower qc compared to all the many super stunning things they did before.,I wonder if they used a different lesser quality factory cutting cost? It's the only thing I can think of. But anyways it was quite shocking to me. I can be way off and high on drugs but I'm only saying that's what I saw. And even more strange all the ss cotd statues were stunning qc and so well done they all looked superior.
Don't get me wrong gg is one of my favorite companies. I own a good amount of their statues and love them all. Just didn't see what I liked in this one as far as the paint apps.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:15 PM   #1654
grphyx1
Kingpin

I love reading your post when they are normal and make sense. It's like finding the hand written manuscript of a Harry Potter novel But I still love your crazy ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
Ok I love the gg details and so well done sculpts as well as great qc overall. I didn't buy this line. But I saw her at my local comic shop a few days ago while looking at the ss court of the dead. My honest thoughts were wow! Did gg really do this one? It looked a bit lower qc compared to all the many super stunning things they did before.,I wonder if they used a different lesser quality factory cutting cost? It's the only thing I can think of. But anyways it was quite shocking to me. I can be way off and high on drugs but I'm only saying that's what I saw. And even more strange all the ss cotd statues were stunning qc and so well done they all looked superior.
Don't get me wrong gg is one of my favorite companies. I own a good amount of their statues and love them all. Just didn't see what I liked in this one as far as the paint apps.
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:48 PM   #1655
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Well, I did my glass etching experiment. First one was a complete mess. Blurry edges and etching medium leeching under the mask.

Second one was better. Changed what part of the icons I wanted to get etched and changed the vinyl I used. Also clean off the medium more thoroughly before rinsing. Still a little bit of medium got under a mask. Probably better if I did the whole mask as a single piece of vinyl. Both of these were done with the darker color of the two Ikea mirrors that came in the box.

jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:03 PM   #1656
jedi_don

Third try's a charm. This is my third attempt using a single piece of vinyl to mask and I used the lighter colored mirror. Still some minor edge problems. I guess if I really want this to come out crisp, I would have to burnish all the edges. But overall I think it came out alright.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #1657
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
Third try's a charm. This is my third attempt using a single piece of vinyl to mask and I used the lighter colored mirror. Still some minor edge problems. I guess if I really want this to come out crisp, I would have to burnish all the edges. But overall I think it came out alright.

Fantastic work, jedi_don. Frustrates me to see the talent on display by some of the forumites!
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:51 PM   #1658
jedi_don

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
Fantastic work, jedi_don. Frustrates me to see the talent on display by some of the forumites!
Thanks but it's not so much the talent but having the right tools. The machine does all the cutting. I started with a picture it took from Whisper's box. I had to redraw the gun and the hexagons. Some clean up from the bitmap to vector conversion. Arrange it in the software and let it cut the vinyl. Pluck out the parts you don't want, use transfer paper/tape to move the vinyl to mirror. And then use the glass etching paste.

Here's what the masked version looked like.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:00 AM   #1659
gomur
The Tick

Talent and tools go hand in hand. Looking forward to seeing how you incorporate these etching mirrors with your display.

I imagine you can get creative with each series you collect. A Justice League logo, Avengers, CotD and so on.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:51 AM   #1660
punisher2000
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

cool... go on man!!
punisher2000 is offline   Reply With Quote