Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 01-27-2024, 02:48 AM   #1
martineaumichae
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

MOTU Besta Display Color Question

For those of you that have a Besta Display, what color do you have, what kind of lights, and if you could do it all over again would you do the same color or choose a different.

I have a 3x3 setup for my MOTU in the dark brown and the single led circle light at the top.
Anyways I need another row of 3 and I?m stuck with wondering should I just add another row so I have 12 spots, or do I spend the money and replace them all and go with the gray or white? it just feels so dark to me and so I feel like when the doors are closed and someone?s looking at them it doesn?t do justice unless you open up the glass door.

What are everyone?s thoughts?

Thanks!!
-Mike
martineaumichae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 06:06 AM   #2
qz33
Doctor Doom

I do not use Bestas but do you maybe have a pic of yours or of the dark brown? I have never liked collections in the white.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 10:36 AM   #3
SDguy

Judging by your description I'm guessing you have 1, maybe 2 issues. 1 for sure is the lighting. I have black displays (including the black brown Ikea material), white displays, and all glass (Detolf) displays. The single puck light in the center type setup only works if you are displaying a vase or something in the center of the cube. You need LED strips running across the entire top front length of each cube opening. In fact, I have 2 strips in the dark Ikea PAX. I do use the single puck light system on my Detolfs, and even with all glass, I don't love the spotlight effect for statues/figures.

The second issue you MIGHT have is the doors. The newer Ikea doors have thick frames that block a little of the edge view of each cube. It doesn't really bother me, but it bothers others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230924_100623.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	167860   Click image for larger version

Name:	20231226_193505-1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	167861   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230331_203112.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	167862   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210322_051116.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	167863   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200528_083132-1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	167864  

Name:	20210627_203733.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	167866  
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 01:39 PM   #4
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I also have the brown/black Bestas and I agree with SDguy's comments. Skip the single puck light and use LED strips all around the front of the cube.

The thicker door frames are annoying, but worth it to keep off dust and wayward hands. Maybe you could use risers to raise your pieces a few inches?
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 08:36 PM   #5
notowellijt
Doh!

I have white Bestas with the Sindvik glass doors. The doors have a frame that hides the under cabinet lighting. I used a kit from Litever on Amazon (URL below). It comes with 12” lights and you can add a set of 6” lights so combined you’ll have 18” of lighting in each cabinet hidden behind the door frame. Works great for me. The kit is plug and play so it’s pretty simple. I can’t remember if I had to order extension cables, but they are available if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Light...XRm&psc=1&th=1
notowellijt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 09:37 PM   #6
qz33
Doctor Doom

Well from the examples SDGuy has posted I definitely think lights are needed but the black makes the statues pop more. A white background/surround takes away from the statues' colors.
Looks like a shelf at Wal-Mart with fluorescent lights.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 09:59 PM   #7
martineaumichae

[QUOTE=qz33;6161108]I do not use Bestas but do you maybe have a pic of yours or of the dark brown? I have never liked collections in the white.

Name:	IMG_0778.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	167880
Yes here is a pic. There is glare in the photo because
Of all the lights in my garage. In person there isn?t the glare but as you can see, it just seems kind of dark.
Old 01-27-2024, 10:02 PM   #8
martineaumichae

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Judging by your description I'm guessing you have 1, maybe 2 issues. 1 for sure is the lighting. I have black displays (including the black brown Ikea material), white displays, and all glass (Detolf) displays. The single puck light in the center type setup only works if you are displaying a vase or something in the center of the cube. You need LED strips running across the entire top front length of each cube opening. In fact, I have 2 strips in the dark Ikea PAX. I do use the single puck light system on my Detolfs, and even with all glass, I don't love the spotlight effect for statues/figures.

The second issue you MIGHT have is the doors. The newer Ikea doors have thick frames that block a little of the edge view of each cube. It doesn't really bother me, but it bothers others.
Thank you for all the pics. I always see your posting in here and the blizzard weta group but never noticed a pic of your collection. Thank you for the variety. Yeah when I decided to build the display back in 2016, these were the only doors that were available in glass. The other ones were discontinued in the US but are available overseas. I think I might just do some LED lights and remove the puck and see if that makes me happier first before spending the money to change all of them to a different color
Old 01-27-2024, 10:05 PM   #9
martineaumichae

Quote:
Originally Posted by notowellijt View Post
I have white Bestas with the Sindvik glass doors. The doors have a frame that hides the under cabinet lighting. I used a kit from Litever on Amazon (URL below). It comes with 12? lights and you can add a set of 6? lights so combined you?ll have 18? of lighting in each cabinet hidden behind the door frame. Works great for me. The kit is plug and play so it?s pretty simple. I can?t remember if I had to order extension cables, but they are available if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Light...XRm&psc=1&th=1
Thanks for the info! Do you have a pic of one of your cabinets with a statue you could post here?
Old 01-27-2024, 10:07 PM   #10
martineaumichae

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Well from the examples SDGuy has posted I definitely think lights are needed but the black makes the statues pop more. A white background/surround takes away from the statues' colors.
Looks like a shelf at Wal-Mart with fluorescent lights.
Yea I feel like lighting is probably just my issue.