Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Artist's Alley

Old 10-20-2006, 02:18 AM   #1
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Marvelous Hoops by melike!!!!!

Well, it seems I've gotten most of my Christmas shopping done and it's not even Halloween! And it's all thanks to an absolutely wonderful job done once again by melike! Below is a commission I requested from the incredibly talented Mike, and it probably bears some explanation.

In the pic below you'll find: 11 superheroes, 1 supervillian, 1 NBA basketball superstar, and eight special kids who, among many other things very dear to me, have all played on youth basketball teams I've coached for about eight years now. And there's also one very odd looking character in the bottom right-hand side of the picture (he looks kinda like me and has my name on his shirt, but oh well ...).

The concept only sounded simple: I asked Mike to combine the three greatest things in my life: these eight kids, basketball and superheroes. And he came through beyond anything I had imagined! This is a whopper of a picture: It measures just less than 17x24 inches, and took seven scans to get it all in for this forum image. So it's cut off a bit at all four sides, and you might see a scan seam, but you get an idea of the total picture, which Mike is still tweaking here and there. This artwork is simply amazing to me.

Not only is "Marvelous Hoops" going to end up framed on a wall of my house, I'm getting it professionally copied, framed and individually wrapped for each of the eight kids for Christmas. I've been like an uber-fun uncle to them for most if not all of their lives (in fact, I'm a true uncle to two of them). I'm the guy who's taught them how to shoot, dribble, pass and defend, but I'm also the guy who has taken all of them to practically every Marvel superhero movie that's come out since the first Spider-Man. So I have no doubts every one of them is going to go ape when they see themselves interacting with these superheroes!!!! Their reactions will be the best thing I've gotten for Christmas in years and years and years, and you can't put a price tag on that.

So thank you, Mike. This means so much more to me (and them) than I can possibly say. You're the real hero in "Marvelous Hoops."

-- Neil --

rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:15 AM   #2
Leon
WHITE & NERDY

Wow, that's an awesome piece Mike did for you. Impressive. So you have a wannabe Shaq on your team? Congrats on your pick up.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:21 AM   #3
melike
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Neil came up with all the sight gags - i just drew them for him. He was VERY comprehensive
melike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:25 AM   #4
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Léon 't Hoen View Post
Wow, that's an awesome piece Mike did for you. Impressive. So you have a wannabe Shaq on your team? Congrats on your pick up.
Well, I HAD a wannabe Shaq on my team. Sadly, he'll be moving up to junior high basketball this season. Last year, he was the largest player in the league by a good four inches, and all the other kids started calling him "White Shaq." And the truth is, for our league, the name was well-earned. He was the leading scorer in the league and our team went undefeated.

One thing though: my White Shaq hit better than 70 percent of his free throws. The real Shaq would pay millions to be able to that.

And thanks so much for the compliments on my pick-up!
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:38 AM   #5
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Wow! That's great ... and it will make a great gift for those kids.
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:45 AM   #6
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Love the 'after Neil Adams' touch.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:15 AM   #7
melike
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Well Neil gave me such a great picture of what he wanted
(hang on Neil Adams...hmmnn...)
melike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:12 AM   #8
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Great work as always Mike!!! Awsome!!!!
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:20 AM   #9
fossa

Congrats Neil Nice piece

Great job, Melike
Old 10-20-2006, 08:23 AM   #10
fossa

I don't see DD, Elektra or the FF. Guess you did not take them to see those movies