Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-24-2018, 09:22 AM   #1
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

CW Black Lightning - SJWs in DC

So I attempted to watch this last night regardless of my lack of knowledge about the character, but all I saw was hypocritical racism and shove down your throat SJW ideaology...

Spoiler
Living room scene with the African-American family with an African-American tv show on in the background, then switches to a lesbian scene then to a drugstore scene with the daughter (African American customer) and an African American clerk...that gets robbed by a white guy.

Seriously?! Could this not be anymore shove in your face millennial snowflake even racial antics. I mean all in the span of 5mins or less.
And in retrospect, if the African-American community felt this way about white tv shows with all white characters and a black criminal I get it, BUT aren't we supposed to bettering the country and not doing more of the same and with vengeance no less?

Spoiler
And let me tell you, as a cop of 30 years, a white guy robbing a store in black neighborhood which this show is clearly depicting is its setting, does not happen.
This is clearly deliberate payback and its sad.

Since Hillary's loss, it just seems more and more LGBT portrayals especially male and subtle Trump bashing has been aired by DC (Supergirl scene with a lesbian character whose dad has a negative comment on the wall Trump wants built). Its like they want to cram as much politics into one scene as possible.

I realize back in the Golden Age, politics were brought into comics to empathize with the readers, but that was a different time with different issues, like war. This stuff that's dividing our country is stressful and should be left out of our entertainment, our escape from reality.

DC shame on you for getting involved in these political debates, shame on you for not having more tact and class. Your shows or movies aren't that great that you can do whatever you want.
I for one have stopped watching all DC shows out of principle for blatant black washing (Wally West, Firestorm, Jimmy Olson), gay washing (Penguin).

I'm glad they brought Black Lighting to the small screen, but racial charged was not the way to go.
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

I disagree. Comics like X-men were all about racial and social tensions, not just about war. It was about how the then majority treated every other social group and how being different wasn't a bad thing.

What Black Lightening did, which you obviously disagree with, is show things that actually do happen today. It's very much in line with things shown in Netflix's Luke Cage.

While you might disagree with the politics of the shows they are very much in line with what comics have done since the 60's.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
jpuli28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
I disagree. Comics like X-men were all about racial and social tensions, not just about war. It was about how the then majority treated every other social group and how being different wasn't a bad thing.

What Black Lightening did, which you obviously disagree with, is show things that actually do happen today. It's very much in line with things shown in Netflix's Luke Cage.

While you might disagree with the politics of the shows they are very much in line with what comics have done since the 60's.
Honestly I didn't read comics from the Golden Age, only read about them and the relation to current events then, maybe the documentary(s) left some things out. Regardless, still a different time and if we are to progress, we need to do just that.

However, this shove down your throat post haste sexual orientation equality is so blatant its obvious pandering. Had it been integrated subtly it would have been more tactful. And just making Penguin gay still to this day is just disgraceful. If I were gay Id be insulted. Hell, I am insulted.

And the racial bias in a time when we, all races, are supposed to be moving forward and improving on race relations, is it really classy to continue more of the same just in a different color? Two wrongs don't make a right, you cant be a hypocrite and be taken seriously.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
Honestly I didn't read comics from the Golden Age, only read about them and the relation to current events then, maybe the documentary(s) left some things out. Regardless, still a different time and if we are to progress, we need to do just that.

However, this shove down your throat post haste sexual orientation equality is so blatant its obvious pandering. Had it been integrated subtly it would have been more tactful. And just making Penguin gay still to this day is just disgraceful. If I were gay Id be insulted. Hell, I am insulted.

And the racial bias in a time when we, all races, are supposed to be moving forward and improving on race relations, is it really classy to continue more of the same just in a different color? Two wrongs don't make a right, you cant be a hypocrite and be taken seriously.
I don't see it as being hypocritical to call out things that actually do happen. It's better to shed light on these things than just ignore them. Gay people are and have been a part of society. Whether or not someone is or isn't gay should not reflect how we view them as a person, but for many in today's world it still does. Just as for many being a different skin color effects how some view them initially.

Ignoring something has never changed how society views it. It has to be shown and discussed. Otherwise nothing changes.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
built2shred
Phoenix

I quit watching after I saw his lame suit with the neon lighting on his chest, just way to cheesy....

As for Gotham's Penguin, I'm not sure he's full on gay as much as he's just so desperate to have someone love him he doesn't care if it's a man or woman.... Recently he has had feelings for Falcone's daughter and was extremely jealous when he heard she kissed Gordon.... CW/DC might be back tracking due to ratings taking a dive when Penguin did come out as gay so now the character is into women <<< shrug >>> I'm just guessing though....

That said, I agree Penguin showing gay feelings was a concession to LGBT which Is quite common right now in Hollywood with almost all shows... If a show doesn't have at least one gay character then the LGBT starts trash talking the show/studio... LGBT threw a hissy fit about Star Trek and Star Wars not having gay characters, then the next thing we know Sulu is gay and the new Star Trek Discovery has a gay couple... I'm sure one of the next Star Wars movies will have gay characters also...

It doesn't bother me Discovery has gay characters on it as it's a new show with new characters but I hate it when they take established characters and poof their gay or the opposite sex all of a sudden... that's just lame...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I quit watching after I saw his lame suit with the neon lighting on his chest, just way to cheesy....

As for Gotham's Penguin, I'm not sure he's full on gay as much as he just wants someone to love him regardless if it's a man or woman.... He had feelings for Falcone's daughter and was extremely jealous when he heard she kissed Gordon....

That said, I agree Penguin showing gay feelings was a concession to LGBT which Is quite common right now in Hollywood with almost all shows... If a show doesn't have at least one gay character then the LGBT starts trash talking the show/studio... LGBT threw a hissy fit about Star Trek and Star Wars not having gay characters, then the next thing we know Sulu is gay and the new Star Trek Discovery has a gay couple... I'm sure one of the next Star Wars movies will have gay characters also...

It doesn't bother me Discovery has gay characters on it as it's a new show with new characters but I hate it when they take established characters and poof their gay all of a sudden...
I'm of two minds on that subject. I think that having gay characters is fine. It's a part of society and should be represented, but, I think if a character has had an established sexuality and then it's changed for the sake of change that isn't something I agree with. However, in Sulu's case we're talking about an alternate reality, so it didn't bug me in the slightest.

In Black Lightening's case I honestly had no issue with it all.

The show itself was okay, but nothing that I'm probably going to stick with. Personally I think the Netflix shows for Marvel are superior to the CW DC shows in just about every way, including how they handle tough societal themes.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #8
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
I'm of two minds on that subject. I think that having gay characters is fine. It's a part of society and should be represented, but, I think if a character has had an established sexuality and then it's changed for the sake of change that isn't something I agree with. However, in Sulu's case we're talking about an alternate reality, so it didn't bug me in the slightest.

In Black Lightening's case I honestly had no issue with it all.

The show itself was okay, but nothing that I'm probably going to stick with. Personally I think the Netflix shows for Marvel are superior to the CW DC shows in just about every way, including how they handle tough societal themes.

Not sure how Romulans going back in time and killing Kirk's dad would influence Sulu to be gay, especially if you believe the LGBT where they say your born Gay. Maybe if the Romulans capture Sulu's pregnant mom and manipulated the baby's DNA then I might buy it....

Now if it was an alternate Universe (parallel universe) like what were seeing on Discovery then I could buy into it.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:36 PM   #9
jpuli28

Let me clarify if I'm misunderstood. Ive no issue with homosexuality on tv, however, I think they take male homosexuality wayyyy too far and it truthfully offends me. Ive seen two shows now, not DC, where males were completely nude and having anal sex. The network pushed the visualization as far as it could go without an R rating for tv.

Also less is more, subtle intro of alternate lifestyles is tasteful, not this lets get as much gratuitous homosexuality in as many scenes as we can because its a hot topic in poltics is distasteful.

Ive no issue with race in tv, except in the cases above. While BL's show may depict reality, except for the white robber which is ridiculously and deliberately racist, it does not mean its ok to perpetuate it. Reality is, ppl of color are outraged for this very same type of casting yet turn around and do it themselves. Its wrong, no way around it. They want change yet continue to demonstrate racism themselves. BL is to cater mostly to our youth, change of the future starts with them, so why continue with the reverse type casting or racism? That's whats hypocritical.

There is no white privilege nor is anyone holding this "minority" down. The term minority itself is a misnomer. The only ones who keep fueling this fire mainstream is themselves, like in this show.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #10
Mister H
Gen 13

The Black Lightning show is pretty terrible. I doubt it lasts. Too bad, if they did the 70's BL with the afro, I could get behind something like that.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote