Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2011, 01:21 AM   #31
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

I'm buyin' a Macbook Pro for my work, soon... since they're tailored more for Editing, etc.

It'll be my first Mac.. I'm excited.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:24 AM   #32
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

When my PC died a few months back I went with a Mac and it was seriously one of the best decisions I've made in some time. Absolutely love it. Can't believe I even hesitated.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #33
NWO SCUM
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I received my new Macbook Pro a couple of weeks ago and I am very happy with it.
NWO SCUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #34
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Someday I will have a Mac..........as soon as I pay down some debt..........someday...
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:41 AM   #35
DRL
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

my PC laptop recently died on me and after reading this thread, i may go with a Mac. i was thinking of picking up the 13" Macbook Pro. anyone know if theres a major difference between the 2 models they offer?
DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #36
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL View Post
my PC laptop recently died on me and after reading this thread, i may go with a Mac. i was thinking of picking up the 13" Macbook Pro. anyone know if theres a major difference between the 2 models they offer?
13" Macbook pro is fine, much better then macbooks. Only issue is graphics. if you are just going to use it for net, word files, and basic stuff and you dont mind the small screen it will last you a long time. you can use photoshop on it, but major PS files will go super slow on 13, but basic files will be fine.

its powerful enough to allocate some HD space to run bootcamp windows7 for games, but some games may have to be set low graphics wise.

If you plan to do more stuff on it like graphics, photoshop, illustrator, any kind of 3D programs or some online games that suck of graphics you will want a 15" model. And if you have the cash on a 15" model, get the anti glare screen, i have it on mine and its amazing. Works wonders for graphics without that glossy glare from the sleek screens. Sadly the 13; model doesnt have that option.

So 13 to 15 only issue is screen res, and graphics issue.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #37
DRL
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Thanks Vince! i appreciate the info. right now im thinking the 13". just a matter of which model. ive read some reviews and most say that the lower model is the better buy due to the fact that you can up the hard drive on your own for cheap and the processor speed isnt much of a difference with the higher end model for $500 more.
DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #38
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL View Post
Thanks Vince! i appreciate the info. right now im thinking the 13". just a matter of which model. ive read some reviews and most say that the lower model is the better buy due to the fact that you can up the hard drive on your own for cheap and the processor speed isnt much of a difference with the higher end model for $500 more.
Lower end model is a i5 chip where as the higher end is a i7 chip. Much bigger difference in processor power between the two.

If this laptop is going to last you a few years, spend the extra 500 for the i7 (will help with resell value if you decide to resell). Unless you plan to get a new one after 3 years, then get the i5 lower end.

i have a MBP 15 with a i7, got it in 2010 and its a beast. Prob will last me years to come as long as i take care of it. Only issue will be replacing the battery in time.

If you guys take care of these macbooks, and i mean take care of them where its clean and looks good, still runs even after its been like 3-4 years. Reselling them will get you some decent cash back, compared to a 2 year old PC.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #39
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Oh and dont max out the ram thru apple, can get ram from a third party like OWC or Crucial and install yourself. Plus old ram sticks can be sold on ebay.

My MBP came with 4 gigs, i took out the 4 sold them on ebay for like $30 and got 8 gigs of ram for it.