Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 05-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
FROBAY
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyrob View Post
i also emailed this seller. heres his response as to why the pieces aren't numbered or signed.

"Hello this item does not have a number or signiture because I bought it that way from a poster store in NYC. This is not a limited edition however it is a good quality poster. Thank you"
There it is, he needs to say bootleg in his listing. This is what's wrong with Ebay today. Geeeez.

I would forward that email to Mondo. Asshos like this is what ruins it for everyone.
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyrob View Post
i also emailed this seller. heres his response as to why the pieces aren't numbered or signed.

"Hello this item does not have a number or signiture because I bought it that way from a poster store in NYC. This is not a limited edition however it is a good quality poster. Thank you"
I really dislike people like this that don't acknowledge fakes because they got it from a store. And worse say fakes are "good quality."

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROBAY View Post
There it is, he needs to say bootleg in his listing. This is what's wrong with Ebay today. Geeeez.
And posters in general. This sort of thing is why I temporarily stopped getting movie posters. Luckily the majority of modern ones suck.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
FROBAY
Phoenix

The glow in the dark stuff is safer and harder to bootleg, kinkos can't copy glow ink. I'm real surprised Mondo hasn't called EBay and got the listings removed.

I like how Nakotomi, Tim Doyle stamps the back of his prints with his store name. Mondo should think about it or start watermarking the back of the paper with a indented Mondo stamp.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
ReplicantSavior

Quote:
The glow in the dark stuff is safer and harder to bootleg, kinkos can't copy glow ink. I'm real surprised Mondo hasn't called EBay and got the listings removed.

I like how Nakotomi, Tim Doyle stamps the back of his prints with his store name. Mondo should think about it or start watermarking the back of the paper with a indented Mondo stamp.
That's a good idea for Mondo. Screen prints / serigraphs still require a lot of work to make a real copy. When you add glow in the dark and metallic ink they are even more difficult. Unlike most stuff that can be printed out. Usually red flags should go up if someone is getting a couple hundred dollar print for cheap. But then there are tons of people that are fine buying $2 bootlegs of modern movies off the street...
Old 05-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
johnclone
The Enchantress

I wonder if the guy he sold one to knows that it didn't come from Mondo.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #16
Atheris
The Maxx

Now you got me thinking about some of the stuff I got. I didn't think it would be so common and worth a con-mans time as some of these prints are to complex to reproduce cheap enough to make it worth their while. My Mondo Hulk print and watchmen have metallic inks in them, I can't imagine that being easy to reproduce at a kinkos?..can it?

The only one I received that I had some doubts with was my Mondo Dredd print. The back side of the poster was not white paper like the other Mondo prints I have. Instead it was a darker white with obvious fibres in it everywhere. I remember looking at it when I first took it out of the tube and thought...did I just get ripped off?

Does anyone else have the Dredd print that can say of theirs came like that?

What exactly can I look for to spot fakes on these prints that I'm not seeing?

Chris
Atheris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:11 AM   #17
ReplicantSavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheris View Post
Now you got me thinking about some of the stuff I got. I didn't think it would be so common and worth a con-mans time as some of these prints are to complex to reproduce cheap enough to make it worth their while. My Mondo Hulk print and watchmen have metallic inks in them, I can't imagine that being easy to reproduce at a kinkos?..can it?

The only one I received that I had some doubts with was my Mondo Dredd print. The back side of the poster was not white paper like the other Mondo prints I have. Instead it was a darker white with obvious fibres in it everywhere. I remember looking at it when I first took it out of the tube and thought...did I just get ripped off?

Does anyone else have the Dredd print that can say of theirs came like that?

What exactly can I look for to spot fakes on these prints that I'm not seeing?

Chris
I seriously doubt Kinkos has a setup to do metallic ink or screen prints. And many Mondo prints use different paper. I think it's the artist's choice of paper.

I've never heard to date of a fake Mondo screen print. Fake Mondo prints, yes. I posted that Tyler Stout fake Thing print. Close inspection will tell a fake in literally seconds as the paint has texture on a screen print / serigraph.

Edit - Apparently there are fake screen prints out there. There is a thread on EB. The fakes seem to be for far more expensive prints. The cost to fake a screen print correctly is probably too much for the average Mondo print. Just like with movie posters you would need what you know is an original to compare to the possible fake. This is why I put off collecting movie posters. Fakes of modern posters are so good that unless you know what you are looking at. You can't tell it's a fake. They are even making fake double sided posters.

Last edited by ReplicantSavior; 05-31-2013 at 03:56 AM. Reason: More details.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #18
FROBAY
Phoenix

This isn't a Ebay seller but deserves to be posted here.

Quote:

Nice print. Just ordered 24x36 giclee

http://frodesignstore.blogspot.com/
Fro design store

Warning, these people are crooks. I emailed them 2 weeks ago about my poster and they said it must have got lost and they would send out another. Still no poster and no tracking number. Just filed a paypal dispute may have to call my credit card company as well.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Exclamation

Watch out for this seller. Selling repros...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Big-Lebo...item4d0d7aeb1d
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #20
FROBAY
Phoenix

I Just purchased a Metal Ansin superman and this guy and he immediately lists another one for sale. I find it strange that he has 2. beware of popcultposters on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Ansin...item3f2631b034