Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Iron Studios

Old 10-27-2019, 07:51 PM   #311
Jon_Boston_83
Birdman

Yet more blurry photos, but first impressions are that it doesn't look very well put together. Those gaps in the base are quite obvious and there's too much of the broken fence, it's sticking out too much. I'm not sold on the paint job but the rain effects look really well done.
The explorer looks odd, kind of bent.
Certainly not as good as the prototype.
Jon_Boston_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:17 AM   #312
karauak
Fantastic Four

In my opinion, the gaps result from the fact that it stands on various surfaces (it does not fit on the desk)
karauak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:15 AM   #313
Lemmiwinkles
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Yeah I’m also worried about that explorer being bent at the back, given it’s the only piece I’ve ordered. I’m hoping it’s just distortion in the lens or a fault with that particular piece. It’s doesn’t look like it’s sitting on the wheels properly. As for the paint job, I wish the yellow-green blend was a bit better but other than that it looks great, especially the rain drop effect.
Lemmiwinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:16 AM   #314
CoresNZ
Doh!

My A set arrived today!

I have to say that this thing is pretty awesome in person when it's all set up and given a little fineness.
It takes some time to get the foliage and fence wiring posed to have some naturalistic weight and feel properly a part of the scene.

The paint is pretty much what i was expecting and a little on basic/rough side. I think i might have got a slightly better application of the mud. Especially around the car track. Will still definitely be doing my own work to this at a later date.

despite feeling overall reasonably pleased with the product, There are some issues..

The box 04 base box arrived with a decent ding to the top, piercing the box through to the polystyrene.

The only part i could find obviously broken was the lights on the top of the middle fence post/pylon. It was bent backwards with a crack across the front. I'm not sure weather this happened in shipping though as the piece was no where near the damage on the box.. The area around the break looks slightly messy, Like it may have been glued together before..

The lights on the car don't seem to work.. I tried several sets of batteries with no luck. i was already half expecting this to be the case but it's still disappointing on such an expensive item.

The front/left foot of the T-Rex doesn't come down to rest on the bottom of the car.. It hovers around half a centimeter above and seems misaligned to the side. I've tried to re-seat the rear foot peg several times aswell as trying to position the explorer further back and to the right. Just seems to be off. Anyone else having this issue?
A friend of mine has the solo rex and the front foot sits flush with the base.

One interesting thing i noticed was that the middle fence post has one cable eyelet to many.. There are 11 wires that match on the end fence posts but 12 eyelets on the middle pylon.. Did someone at IS make a miscount?

Here are some initial pics taken on my phone after unboxing

Last edited by CoresNZ; 10-29-2019 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Can't get the images to display
CoresNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:33 AM   #315
Lemmiwinkles

These are the best photos yet, CoresNZ!

I think it looks great, aside from some basic paint application like you said. Hopefully they can replace your fence section. As for the t-Rex gap, is it possible to bend the Rex slightly forward (without the Explorer in place) or is the Rex completely solid?

Also, where are the batteries placed and where is the switch for the lights?
Old 10-29-2019, 06:01 AM   #316
CoresNZ
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmiwinkles View Post
These are the best photos yet, CoresNZ!

I think it looks great, aside from some basic paint application like you said. Hopefully they can replace your fence section. As for the t-Rex gap, is it possible to bend the Rex slightly forward (without the Explorer in place) or is the Rex completely solid?

Also, where are the batteries placed and where is the switch for the lights?
Yep I'd say that it's maybe 20% overpriced given the level of finish. But the potential is so good with the right tweaks and lighting.

Yeah I'm hoping they can just ship me a replacement pylon.. i'm sure it'll snap off with the slightest nudge now. It actually bent back into position as I've been bending the cables to drape. careful with your eyelets when doing this as i could imagine these breaking very easily.

I don't think there's any bending the Rex. it's very solid and the entire weight of it is hanging from a metal peg on the back foot. I'm hoping the metal runs up the entire length of the leg.. I'd hate for that leg to snap under the weight of the body.

The batteries are in the front interior of the explorer. the switch is in the trunk just above Lex and Tim.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:39 AM   #317
Lemmiwinkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoresNZ View Post
Yep I'd say that it's maybe 20% overpriced given the level of finish. But the potential is so good with the right tweaks and lighting.

Yeah I'm hoping they can just ship me a replacement pylon.. i'm sure it'll snap off with the slightest nudge now. It actually bent back into position as I've been bending the cables to drape. careful with your eyelets when doing this as i could imagine these breaking very easily.

I don't think there's any bending the Rex. it's very solid and the entire weight of it is hanging from a metal peg on the back foot. I'm hoping the metal runs up the entire length of the leg.. I'd hate for that leg to snap under the weight of the body.

The batteries are in the front interior of the explorer. the switch is in the trunk just above Lex and Tim.
I guess based on that I stand by my earlier statement;

If you’re looking for the absolute best in terms of paintwork and sculpt, go for the Prime 1 version. However, if you want the best scene/diorama, Iron Studios is unbeatable. I think really the only improvements would be the paintwork on the T. rex, lex/tim and the mud. The Explorer is pretty spot on aside from maybe a bit more obvious looking damage and weathering.

Have you ordered the whole diorama? I’m hoping you’ll post as good pictures as these for the rest of the set. Really appreciate it and your honesty!
Old 10-29-2019, 06:54 AM   #318
tupuxuara
Frackin!

Hello CoresNZ . Thank you for these detailed pictures. Please tell me if set A comes in one box? If so, please kindly let me know the size, width, height of the box, possibly the weight, so I can make a shipping calculation from US to Europe. Is the painting decent? What do you think about, T-rex?
-
tupuxuara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:32 AM   #319
CoresNZ
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmiwinkles View Post
I guess based on that I stand by my earlier statement;

If you’re looking for the absolute best in terms of paintwork and sculpt, go for the Prime 1 version. However, if you want the best scene/diorama, Iron Studios is unbeatable. I think really the only improvements would be the paintwork on the T. rex, lex/tim and the mud. The Explorer is pretty spot on aside from maybe a bit more obvious looking damage and weathering.

Have you ordered the whole diorama? I’m hoping you’ll post as good pictures as these for the rest of the set. Really appreciate it and your honesty!
Yeah it's only the rex and maybe the ground that need the extra paint work in my opinion. Lex and Tim are so small that they are fine. My only gripe with them is that they are a bit over saturated and pastel coloured.

No just the A set for me sorry. No room for that whole diorama.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:53 AM   #320
CoresNZ
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupuxuara View Post
Hello CoresNZ . Thank you for these detailed pictures. Please tell me if set A comes in one box? If so, please kindly let me know the size, width, height of the box, possibly the weight, so I can make a shipping calculation from US to Europe. Is the painting decent? What do you think about, T-rex?
-
It comes in two large boxes. My FedEx shipment says that the rex was 28 pounds and the base was 53 pounds
I can send you measurements tomorrow if that helps.

The painting is.. ok. Not amazing and doesn't do the scene or sculpt the justice it deserves. but over all the scene looks really cool. The T-rex is pretty awesome!