Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 04-04-2021, 07:20 PM   #241
Mister H
Green Goblin

You know, after looking through my Handbook of the Marvel Universe Omni, I noticed a lot of characters that need to be done in mini bust form: Baron Mordo, Brothers Grim, Brother Voodoo, Corsair, Darkstar...he needs to come back.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:17 AM   #242
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
You know, after looking through my Handbook of the Marvel Universe Omni, I noticed a lot of characters that need to be done in mini bust form: Baron Mordo, Brothers Grim, Brother Voodoo, Corsair, Darkstar...he needs to come back.
Licenses and factory contracts cost way more now than they did when BD was pumping out $40-$50 busts in the thousands around fifteen years ago. What kind of numbers do you think BD would get now for Corsair and Baron Mordo and Brothers Grimm? Do you find that a significant number of fans still campaign for busts? I wonder how many bust collectors from the year 2002 are still buying product.

While I imagine lots of fans would be thrilled to see BD open up shop again, they may be surprised to learn what prices need to be set up at today to turn a decent profit, especially with the edition sizes we currently see from MTO companies.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:30 AM   #243
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Are companies still even producing busts in the same scale that Bowen did?
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:33 AM   #244
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
Lol....last bust i bought was that custom sideshow Powergirl head stand by vince vell some years ago
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:44 AM   #245
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
closest you'll find is GG and Diamond Select as far as I know.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:44 PM   #246
Mister H
Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Licenses and factory contracts cost way more now than they did when BD was pumping out $40-$50 busts in the thousands around fifteen years ago. What kind of numbers do you think BD would get now for Corsair and Baron Mordo and Brothers Grimm? Do you find that a significant number of fans still campaign for busts? I wonder how many bust collectors from the year 2002 are still buying product.

While I imagine lots of fans would be thrilled to see BD open up shop again, they may be surprised to learn what prices need to be set up at today to turn a decent profit, especially with the edition sizes we currently see from MTO companies.
Well, he's hinted at working for someone else so the license stuff he wouldn't have to worry about. Just because something isn't currently being done now doesn't mean that it can't be done. If GG is putting out busts then I think busts are popular enough. Not saying that he will come back and do what he did before but he could do a variation if he wanted. I would never count him out, it all kind of depends on his desire to do it. I'm just saying that I hope he has that desire.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:53 PM   #247
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Licenses and factory contracts cost way more now than they did when BD was pumping out $40-$50 busts in the thousands around fifteen years ago....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Well, he's hinted at working for someone else so the license stuff he wouldn't have to worry about. Just because something isn't currently being done now doesn't mean that it can't be done. If GG is putting out busts then I think busts are popular enough. Not saying that he will come back and do what he did before but he could do a variation if he wanted. I would never count him out, it all kind of depends on his desire to do it. I'm just saying that I hope he has that desire.
I think it is his desire relative to the current industry conditions. He's been through a lot the past 5 years but if things were the same as before from how he's sounded in interviews he would likely have already returned as before. Competition, everything is just a different game now.

For me his greatest value is in art direction and managing talent as many of my favorite Bowens were not sculpted by him. Hard to actualize that value in any role other than ownership.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:40 AM   #248
SDguy

I have a standing saved search on ebay for Bowen Statues, and I occasionally look through the update emails. I think people have lost their minds with the asking prices I am seeing lately.

Granted these are just asking prices... none interest me enough to dig deeper into sold listings, but still, overall, the prices are kinda nuts.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:15 AM   #249
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I definitely think that when it comes to some of the Bowen pieces whatever is the hot marvel character collectors are going to increase the price. A few years ago you had no problem getting a character like the black knight or the falcon very cheap but now that they’re going to be in movies and they headline their own TV show people are trying to sell the falcon and black knight mini bust for over $100.

Eventually the prices will fall I feel if it’s an individual collector selling it. I think it might take a little longer if a comic shop is selling something to drop the price but I do think that when they see how long their statue has been sitting online with no interest whatsoever they’re going to realize they need to make some money.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:43 AM   #250
Mister H
Green Goblin

Some guy wants over $900 for Taskmaster statue.