Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #101
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
Nope, the law of diminishing returns means that no matter how good the writer, director, production people will experience fatigue and apathy towards the franchise.

Then as a studio committing to one a year will inevitably do something stupid that will cause backlash.

I'm not so sure, look at Marvel I don't see much fatigue or diminishing returns there...

All it takes are good stories, something DC and Star Wars lack....
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:47 AM   #102
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by off View Post
I remember the VHS copy I had as a kid, a 'simulcast' banner on the bottom with a radio station would pop up from when my parents taped it. I guess at one point, the movie was played on the tv and radio together to get that true stereo sound!

Anyway, every time I watched that tape, I would try tune the radio to that station in hopes of it being played on there.

Guess I quite didn't understand how the whole VHS thing worked.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:38 AM   #103
Nebulhym
The X-Men

I don't know why people are so horrified by episode 8. I mean, it was indeed horrible and the worst Star Wars movie ever, but episode 7 was JUST AS BAD and yet, I don't hear so much complaining about it.

Ahhhh when a new trilogy makes you miss Jar Jar Bings, that says a lot....
Nebulhym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #104
off
The X-Men

I enjoyed the hell out of Episode 7. It was just a rehash of A New Hope, yes but it set the stage to hand over the story to the new characters. Plus there was a whole smorgasbord of new avenues to explore, Captain Phasma, Snoke, Knights of Ren, Rey's parentage, etc.

Episode 8 killed all of that and on top of it all, turned Luke into a crazy, homeless psycho.
off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:12 PM   #105
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by off View Post
I enjoyed the hell out of Episode 7. It was just a rehash of A New Hope, yes but it set the stage to hand over the story to the new characters. Plus there was a whole smorgasbord of new avenues to explore, Captain Phasma, Snoke, Knights of Ren, Rey's parentage, etc.

Episode 8 killed all of that and on top of it all, turned Luke into a crazy, homeless psycho.
Well, when you put it that way...
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #106
built2shred
Phoenix

Episode 7 didn't have X-Wings doing peel outs, Leia being superman in space, a Pyromaniac ghost Yoda, Luke projecting himself across the universe and thus killing himself, Rey becoming an instant Jedi Knight with no training, not to mention killing off the only truly evil bad guy in the movie after a few mins of screen time.... Episode 8 was a complete mess story wise...

Han and Luke's deaths were both extremely anti-climatic... you would of thought the writers/directors would of wanted to send them off with a huge bang...
Old 08-18-2018, 12:54 AM   #107
off
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Episode 7 didn't have X-Wings doing peel outs, Leia being superman in space, a Pyromaniac ghost Yoda, Luke projecting himself across the universe and thus killing himself, Rey becoming an instant Jedi Knight with no training, not to mention killing off the only truly evil bad guy in the movie after a few mins of screen time.... Episode 8 was a complete mess story wise...

Han and Luke's deaths were both extremely anti-climatic... you would of thought the writers/directors would of wanted to send them off with a huge bang...
Solos' death would have more meaning if Kylo would have gone completely to the dark side after killing him. Instead, Episode 8 gave him no character growth.

Agree with all your sentiments.

I can only wish they open Episode 9 with Luke's cape floating away in the wind, Yoda's voice saying, "now is not your time young Skywalker," then we see a defeated Luke struggling to his feet with a new look of determination and hope in his eye.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:25 AM   #108
built2shred
Phoenix

Maybe will see Rey open the shower door and Luke will be in there alive washing himself...

((( it was only a dream Rey, Luke never died )))
Old 08-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #109
off
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Maybe will see Rey open the shower door and Luke will be in there alive washing himself...

((( it was only a dream Rey, Luke never died )))
Dallas reference, love it!

Making Luke an attempted child killer was just dumb.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #110
built2shred
Phoenix

I just don't get why Abrams and Rian Johnson had to duplicate the basic story of the original trilogy. Why not create something completely new and unique story wise? instead they admit to copying the formula of the original Trilogy thus they're reasons to create all these wacky force powers and what not to try and change it up.

Star Wars: The Empire creates planet killer (Death Star) test it by lowing up a planet, then they go after the Rebels, Rebels blow up Death star before the Empire can use the Death Star on them.

30 years later

The Force Awakens. The First order creates a planet killer (Death Planet), they test it out and it destroys several planets at once, they then go after the Rebels, the Rebels blow up the Death Planet before it can destroy them.

Notice anything familiar?

The Empire Strikes back, the rebels are on the run and the Empire pursues them. They make a stand on Hoth and the Empire uses AT-AT Walkers to crush them, they escape. Luke learns to be a Jedi from Yoda

30 Years later

The Last Jedi: The First Order pursues the Rebels, they make a stand on Crait. The First order uses AT-M6 walkers to crush them, they escape, and Rey learns how to be a Jedi from Luke, errr scratch that no she doesn't because she's already a Jedi Master because she's female, she's doesn't need any training from Luke.

Notice any similarities?

You had the original cast they could of done something great with them as a send off but instead they fumbled the ball.