Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 12-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #21
Meeley Man
Kindly Asked To Leave
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceans11 View Post
So yes, let's bring on a new thread and some art and discussion on comments and views in regards to it.

Don
Done and done, Don. Okay, everyone, now it's your turn.
Meeley Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #22
oceans11
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwf6171 View Post
Post a link to your CAF!
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=46227

Ok.. here it is.

Don
oceans11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #23
GerryT
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Do people not post a comment cause they don't like it ?
Take my new Smitty, 152 views of the thread here, and only 3 comments.
Is it the subject matter? The artist ?
GerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #24
oceans11
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryT View Post
Do people not post a comment cause they don't like it ?
Take my new Smitty, 152 views of the thread here, and only 3 comments.
Is it the subject matter? The artist ?
Yes, but it post on CAF on 12/19 and it has 250 views and 10 comments. Hardly underviewed compared to some of the other art that we're looking at. I have pages that I've had posted for months that have significantly smaller number of views. There's a classic Dick Dillin Justice League page with 60 views 1 comment, or Spectcular Spider Man page featuring Black Lash and The Prowler by John Romita Sr and Al Milgrom sitting at 80 views 2 comments. Both were added in September of this year. So they've gone three months with that few number of people checking them out. Is it the fact that they're panel pages that causes people to not care? Not sure. As another example, I have a Ken Bald Blonde Phantom commission that I posted in September of this year that is sitting with 178 views 3 comments. So, the fact that your art has 250 views 10 comments in about three days isn't a bad sign at all.

The only thing I can think of it getting low response here on the forum is that you can't see the whole art in your post, only a portion of it. (plus the art image in the thread wouldn't show when I looked at it on my phone, so I had to go check it out on my computer). So people are probably clicking on your CAF link to check it out and maybe leaving comments there?

So what does cause people to not leave comments? Art that they don't care for? Does it have to be superbly amazing for people to comment? I know in this hobby there is a leaning towards covers and splash pages being held as preferred, with panel pages not getting as much attention or love. I also know there is a tendency to appreciate commissions from current "hot" artists, with the higher the cost associated with it making it appear to be better art. Adam Hughes can charge a few thousand for commissions and knock something out and it appears that it will be perceived as being better art than something done by say Tom Grummett because he doesn't charge as much? Is it demand? The level of difficulty in achieving getting the commision makes it more desireable and therefore perceived as better and more comment worthy?

Or is this all down to promotion? Where and how many places you post the links to your art that spurs the number of views and the number of comments that some of these pages get.

I'm not complaining and not going to change what I collect because I get art that I like, it's just something that really mystifies me.

Don
oceans11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #25
Arcusprime
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceans11 View Post
I comment on the art that I like and pieces that I think are cool. I try to leave a comment for someone that commented on one of my pieces, although I'm hit and miss with doing this due to timing.

I'm not sure I understand the dynamic of CAF and how pieces get views and comments. I have some art that I think is pretty damn good (maybe not cover or splash page level, but stlll good) that is seriously underviewed or under commented. Exhibit A is my James O'Barr page from The Crow. 7 comments which is good, but only 178 views? On the other end of the spectrum I have a Chrissie Zullo Emma Frost/Madelyn Pryor piece that has righn under 1900 views but only 3 comments? And my Dick Dillin JLA page with 60 views, not to mention my Cockrum Uncanny X-Men page with 162 views (although that has 6 comments). Yet you see the most viewed art of the week, or most commented and and there's stuff that's getting 115 or 19 comments in a week, not to mention some of the pages getting thousands of views.

I don't really care too much as I'm happy with my art, and I don't collect art as a popularity contest, but it stlll perplexes me. What makes one page comment worthy and not another?

Don
I think the exact same thing at times in regards to my CAF. Some amazing (I think) pieces that get few views and fewer comments. But like you said, I'm happy with my collection no matter what. I'm not collecting as an investment, I'm collecting because I like the art.
Arcusprime is offline   Reply With Quote