Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
BillC
Hellboy

Question for those who have been waiting on overdue commissions

So for those of you that have waited horrifically long times for commissions, how long do you suggest waiting between sending polite reminders?

I have one that was supposed to be done in July (I know, it's not that bad- not quite half a year late) and I send polite reminders maybe every 5 weeks. Not sure if that's too much. I try to keep in mind that I don't want a disgruntled artist giving a half baked effort on my piece when it gets done
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Once a month checkin seems fair.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Titan1977
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
So for those of you that have waited horrifically long times for commissions, how long do you suggest waiting between sending polite reminders?

I have one that was supposed to be done in July (I know, it's not that bad- not quite half a year late) and I send polite reminders maybe every 5 weeks. Not sure if that's too much. I try to keep in mind that I don't want a disgruntled artist giving a half baked effort on my piece when it gets done
I think it depends on their communication. If they say they should be able to work on it within a couple weeks, and I don't hear anything for 3-4 weeks, I'll check in with them. If they say a few weeks, I'll give it 5. If they don't respond at all with my inquiries, I'll email maybe every 2-3 weeks until I get a response, asking they at least acknowledge my existence. If no response, and it goes 2-3 months past their promise date, then I look at contacting them via other ways, i.e. facebook, or something.
I know that may sound excessive to some, but I have been burned several times by being too nonchalant about the commissions.
Titan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
Meeley Man
Kindly Asked To Leave
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
Once a month checkin seems fair.
Yeah, this is fair and not too much of being a pest. If an artist thinks so, then they are the problem and you need to look into getting your money back.
Meeley Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
Richyrichoh
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Depends on an artist and your relationship to them. I waited for over 2 years on an Ebas but he's a buddy and he was just waiting for the right time. We'd joke about it. I have another commission from a big time artist that's been almost 3 years. I try to contact them before a show I might see him at, but no luck as of yet.
Richyrichoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Sam
Hydra

I send emails once a month to every artist I have outstanding commissions with regardless of how late or on-time they are. I also tell them that I am simply checking in if they're not late and that I am touching base with every commission I have made so they don't think I'm singling them out.

If they're late, I don't metion that I'm checking in with everyone else too, but I'm not rude either. I save the rudeness (and even then I'm not THAT rude) for when they're so late or have stopped communicating and I feel like the commission is lost already.

I haven't had a commission that ever got to the point that I asked for a refund, but I think that I would express my disappointment then and wouldn't get rude unless even the refund was denied or ignored.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
MortalMonday
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

This one artist agreed to sketch on the cover of a videogame for me. He made some promo art for the game, so I thought it'd be neat to have a sketch by him on the cover to the game. I reached out to him and asked if he'd do it, and he said yes. He was doing it for free, so I paid to have the game shipped to him, and I also included a prepaid shipping label so he wouldn't have to pay to ship it back to me. I also included a bottle of wine as a gesture of thanks. Well I sent it to him, and I'm still waiting on the sketch. I know he has the package because he told me he received it and he keeps telling me that he's gonna work on it soon. Well it's been almost 2 years now, and still nothing. I must have sent him at least 6 or 7 reminders now, and he keeps telling me that he's on top of it and tha he'll get to it, but yeah...it's been almost 2 years and I'm just about ready to give up. I might just ask him to send the game back to me as-is.
MortalMonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
Frank
Death is hereditary.

I've found that sending a paypal request has been working pretty well lately. Either they pay you back or ship the art. No on likes a paypal dispute.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
Underdog07
Hercules

Monthly to quarterly seems fine to me. I don't whenever I think of it . Also I also try to make the new email a part of the string of other emails. That way you have all the emails together
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
predaking007
Death is hereditary.

I don't usually hold artists to deadlines. I think on average, I wait about a year. I don't really care as long as I know they deliver. But I only get 2 or 3 commissions a year now.
predaking007 is offline   Reply With Quote