Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #1621
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Name the actor who also auditioned for the role of Jack Tripper in 3's Company.

As a bonus, what was the first TV show that actor appeared in?
Well, I know Billy Crystal was considered. If that's right, I don't know what his first appearance on TV was, but I know he was on an early episode of All in the Family, and given his age, that may have been his first. It was, at least, one of his first, I bet.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #1622
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Billy Crystal was on a short lived series called Keep on Truckin back in 1975.

You're up Teague.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #1623
Teague
Iron Man

Just a side note: I never got into Three's Company, probably because my parents thought it was inappropriate for me at that age (I was 10). And it probably was, but that was a rare insight for my often too-lenient folks.

Anyway, I watched the show here and there, and Mr. Roper always (and still) cracked me up. His looks at the camera were just genius.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #1624
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Billy Crystal was on a short lived series called Keep on Truckin back in 1975.

You're up Teague.
Keep on Truckin? Wow, that rings a bell, but...can't really place it.

Okay, lets see...
Old 03-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #1625
Teague
Iron Man

Okay...speaking of the late, great Norman Fell....he also starred in an early 80s one-season wonder that had the odd occurence of an almost complete cast change mid-way through the first season. Fell was one of two actors who kept their jobs in this bell-ringing show. Name the show, where it was set, and the other performer (besides Fell) who kept their job for the entire short run.

For bonus points, name the three now (relatively) well-known names that were replacements for the latter half of the show's run.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #1626
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

The only show I can think of was The Ropers. Can't remember his wife's name. Don Knott's took over for Norman Fell on 3's Company.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #1627
superdoug
Minister of ROT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Okay...speaking of the late, great Norman Fell....he also starred in an early 80s one-season wonder that had the odd occurence of an almost complete cast change mid-way through the first season. Fell was one of two actors who kept their jobs in this bell-ringing show. Name the show, where it was set, and the other performer (besides Fell) who kept their job for the entire short run.

For bonus points, name the three now (relatively) well-known names that were replacements for the latter half of the show's run.
I never saw this show. Thank you IMDB. You're talking about Teachers Only, which starred the late great Norman Fell along with Lynn Redgrave as (respectively) principal and English teacher at Millard Fillmore High School in Los Angeles. The show started with such notables as Alan Arkin and Van Nessa Clarke in supporting roles. When it came back for its second season, it was now set at Woodrow Wilson High School and Arkin, Clark, and the rest of the supporting cast had been replaced by the new cast which included Joel Brooks, Tim Reid, and (oddly) Jean Smart as Fell's catty secretary and mistress.

Nice one, Teague!
superdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #1628
superdoug
Minister of ROT

Okay. It's been a while since this thread's seen any love. Here's an easy one:

This divine one-season 2000 wonder was a sit-com based on the titular star's alleged 'home life'. It co-starred one of my favorite (and most underused) supporting actresses, who is generally more known as a Broadway star.

Name the show, the star, the co-star, and for bonus points, name the song and artist that were covered in a single episode in one of the funniest rehearsal gags I've ever seen. :P

Okay. That last one is a stretch. Extra bonus points if you know it.
superdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #1629
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdoug View Post
I never saw this show. Thank you IMDB. You're talking about Teachers Only, which starred the late great Norman Fell along with Lynn Redgrave as (respectively) principal and English teacher at Millard Fillmore High School in Los Angeles. The show started with such notables as Alan Arkin and Van Nessa Clarke in supporting roles. When it came back for its second season, it was now set at Woodrow Wilson High School and Arkin, Clark, and the rest of the supporting cast had been replaced by the new cast which included Joel Brooks, Tim Reid, and (oddly) Jean Smart as Fell's catty secretary and mistress.

Nice one, Teague!
It was a fun show, actually. I think I started watching it when the new cast came in (this was post WKRP Tim Reid, so I probably noticed he was on, and decided to watch...) and then saw some of the earlier eps too, in reruns.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #1630
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdoug View Post
Okay. It's been a while since this thread's seen any love. Here's an easy one:

This divine one-season 2000 wonder was a sit-com based on the titular star's alleged 'home life'. It co-starred one of my favorite (and most underused) supporting actresses, who is generally more known as a Broadway star.

Name the show, the star, the co-star, and for bonus points, name the song and artist that were covered in a single episode in one of the funniest rehearsal gags I've ever seen. :P

Okay. That last one is a stretch. Extra bonus points if you know it.
Wow, I know the show you're talking about (Bette!), the star (Bette Midler), and I'm pretty sure the co-star, too (Joanna Gleason)...but I never really watched the show, per se. I think I saw the pilot, and then lost it in the shuffle of other shows...

Man, I hate it when I miss the bonus question!