Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 08-31-2006, 08:56 PM   #21
fossa

and now they have traded David Wells to the Padres, so i think they have officially given up and are waving the white flag...
Old 09-02-2006, 02:47 AM   #22
Underdog07
Hercules

These are typical Yankee fan arguments. Its like you guys get two cards: one about what to say when payroll is brought up and the other contains idiotic trade proposals like Melky Cabrera and a A prospect for Travis Hafner, Grady Sizemore, Victor Martinez and a couple AAA prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car50n
Cano, Cabrera, Jeter, Posada, Rivera, Wang, Proctor, and Williams have been yankees their whole pro careers.
Not true. Wang was a pro in Korea and the Yanks paid millions to get his rights. Proctor was a Dodger and was acquired via the Robin Ventura trade.

Quote:
and this talk about "buying" players...no one ever mentions the fact that about a good portion of the line-up home-grown guys.
Come on, let's call a spade a spade. Yankee fans love to tought their home grown talent. That pipeline ended with Jeter over 10 years ago. Cabrera is nothing special and Cano is merely a serviciable 2nd baseman. Damon, ARod, Giambi, Matsui, Sheffield, Mussina, Johnson, Pavano and countless others over the years have been bought.

Quote:
Because of revenue sharing, the Florida Teams get more money from other teams then what they actually spend on the team. they deserve to lose. the owners do nothing be keep the money in their pockets and put out a $htt product, year after year.
This argument only factors in major league salaries. What about scouting and player development? I would say the Marlins excel in those areas so the fact that they can put out players who make Melky Cabrera money but perform like ARod justifies having a low major league salary. And to claim that the Marlins put out a **** product year after year is simply inaccurate. By my calculations they have won 2 Wolrd Series since 1997. Granted what Huinzaga (sp?) did in 1998 was despicable, Loria (sp?) has legitimately built a good-great team for years to come.

Quote:
Boston spends about 110 million on payroll, that's a little less then 80Mil less then the yanks, yet they have full control of new england, no competition from anyone throughout the year, Boston isn't exactly a 'poor' city. yet they operate with a half-a$$ed sabremetrics system, which is neither consistent, nor functional(at this point.)
I can go on and on....but not right now.
Please. This argument does not pass the laugh test. Boston has a population of 600,000 compared to New York City's population of 8 million. What does having "full control of new england" mean? Jimmy Joe from Upper Vermont is supposed to drive 12 hours to go watch a Red Sox game? All residents of Vermont, New Hampshire and Massachusetts buy Red Sox gear? Then there's the fact about average household income. NY has NE beat, hands down.

The Red Sox generate a lot of revenue from their market, but that market is not the New York Metropolitan market. The Yanks make a lot of money because they are in the largets market, plain and simple. The Yanks spend a lot of money because they make a lot of money. And trust me, George still pockets a pretty penny or two at the end of the year.

Boston did not lose this year because of sabremetrics. They lost because of injuries to many pitchers and poor performances by other pitchers.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:49 AM   #23
Underdog07
Hercules

Sox also just lost a young star pitcher to cancer. Luckily for him he has a readily treatable and common Lymphoma. Here's a link to an article - the doctor quoted is my transplant doctor.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2569341
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote