Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 10-07-2021, 03:36 PM   #21
Thor57
Teen Titans

I havent quit, I just refocused. I started in 2013, and I bought everything. I mean anything I saw that was loosely nerd or geek culture related, I bought. I suffered from keeping up with the Joneses due to Facebook and all the collection rooms here. I was bit, and I could afford it, but that didnt change the waste factor. Comics, movies, games, I was there. Then I got divorced and fell into a hole of depression. I sold my collection, and it was a needed change. I'm a little OCD, and there was no way I was going to collect and fulfill "lines." Between SS, XM, Prime 1, pieces were differently sized. In what world did it make sense that one companies Thor was smaller than another companies Batman, of the same scale. So I got out.

Then a few years later I was back in, but with very narrow guidelines. I grew up a fantasy nerd. Conan, He-Man, Golden Axe video game, and DnD choose your own adventure novels. As an adult, that kind of love was hidden but didnt dissipate. When I graduated high school, a year later Lord of the Rings came out and rekindled my love of fantasy, and this time, I wasnt afraid to hide it. So thats what I focus on now. Fantasy pieces, where scale doesnt matter. Court of the Dead, Damtoys Warcraft, XM and Prime 1's Magic the Gathering, they all look great together! So I stick to that. SS and Tweeterheads MoTu as well, though I know they are 1/5 scale, so they reside in a different part. That, and my other love, 80's horror and action movies. So that is what I collect now.

And Silas Loki has a very, very great point. Its not really a hobby. Buying and just putting in a crappy IKEA shelf isnt necessarily a hobby in my mind. What is though is creatively matching art prints to accentuate pieces. Building my own shelves to really highlight how beautiful these pieces are. Having stories how they tie into me. I once bought XM's Ghost Rider simply cause it looks cool. Now I buy pieces that I can imagine writing my own Dungeons and Dragons campaign with. I but things from Hobby Lobby and Etsy to add to my pieces. Monster heads hung from the belt of Oglavaeil, or treasure boxes full of gold and silver surrounding Red Sonja, She Devil with a Sword. Gives the impression she killed that snake while in search of great reward. It tells a story. I want my imagination to take hold when I show off my collection. Or my experiences to speak why one closet is full of Freddy and Jason horror. Not a simple "Oh, thats Taskmaster. Hes a bit player in the Marvel comics universe." Thats awesome for those that are into that, but my focus has shifted to something more intimate.

The key thing to remember is we are all different and do it for different reasons. And thats okay.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:40 PM   #22
ivory7777
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

im not going to quit but i definitely need to slow down, special on these compulsive buying. ie. when i buy one, i end up buying all variant of that statue which is not need. or buying some random statues. i should just focus on particular theme. i.e gaming but only my favorite character and not just buy it because it is my favorite character, the statue has to be really good too.
ivory7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:04 PM   #23
Yojimbo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Feels good to see others letting that childhood fantasy stay with them as they get older…

Or those that found their love of fantasy in adulthood
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:17 PM   #24
Brandon
The X-Men

Oddly enough, prices have - and are continuing - to rise, even with the vast increase in market saturation. Usually, more competitors equals lower prices. I'm very curious to see where the statue market will hit its price 'ceiling', or if it even has one...
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:53 PM   #25
SONICobra
Batman

i have like 12 characters i want then im out as im just out of space. not sure how long it will take for those characters to get made if ever so until that happens im hanging around

after the dust settles ill focus on repainting statues i own to keep the hobby going
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:57 PM   #26
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
i have like 12 characters i want then im out as im just out of space. not sure how long it will take for those characters to get made if ever so until that happens im hanging around

after the dust settles ill focus on repainting statues i own to keep the hobby going
Since the new SS Cap was announced, I’m definitely going to repaint my Daniel Bel Cap.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:10 PM   #27
SONICobra
Batman

Yeah customizing statues can really expand the hobby and make it a lot more fun and involved
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:56 PM   #28
JanuaryStorm
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Just gonna leave this here:

https://youtu.be/UPw-3e_pzqU
JanuaryStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:03 PM   #29
solidgadium
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Still going strong just changing perspective. Been getting into 1/3 for the past few years getting all P1 Aliens, Predator, DC and some Transformers. Looking into other companies like HMO, JND and Tweeterhead (MOTU). SS is in my rear view mirror except for X-Men. Hoping/praying for and entire 1/3 Marvel Character line one day and I can finally stop once and for all.
solidgadium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:22 PM   #30
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

I haven't quit collecting, but I slowed down a lot. Mostly due to shipping costs. I only PO'd three statues in the past year, when I was usually POing about eight per year. I don't plan to PO another one until XM puts out a Mr. Freeze, or perhaps that Batman on motorcycle.

So since I will only have three or four statues on PO over a two year span (instead of 16), I am able to buy a new motorcycle lol.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote