Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 04:25 PM   #21
Ateon
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraVoyent View Post
Well, that blows. Where do we find the independent artists and folks creating without the baloney?
Places like Deviantart, crowdfunding platforms + artists’ personal web pages. Though it is hard to say what future is for indie creators. For instance recently I’ve learnt about the character of White Widow created by Absolute Comics group. As much as cover-art is very 90-s inspired and looks freshly cool in comparison to what mainstream comics offer today - everything else seems to be just an appropriation of ideas from multiple established IPs.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:32 PM   #22
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Interesting that it seems to be focused on female sexuality rather than on violence as DC has a (stupid) view on how they depict action and gore in everything they make (animations, live action movies, etc). We can't have drawings of big breasted women with curves, but penis flashes in Suicide Squad and bodies exploding from mines and grenades is perfectly fine, lol
Old 10-22-2021, 04:39 PM   #23
COI

That's long been the case culturally in America, with its puritanical roots. Human anatomy = taboo, graphic violence = fun for all ages.

Last edited by COI; 10-22-2021 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:04 PM   #24
extracomputer.1
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
That's long been the case culturally in America, with its puritanical roots. Human anatomy = taboo, graphic violence = fun for all ages.
While that is true, this is coming from a different point. The puritanical side of the past was coming from the far right (usually religious beliefs). This current PC crap is coming from the far left (extremely liberal beliefs). These two sides really don’t get along well.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:07 PM   #25
extracomputer.1

This is also creeping into many video games now. PCS mentioned that they couldn’t do character representations of older versions of some characters by capcom and others and we’re making them change them to more modern much less sexy looking variants. They showed some of the art before sculpting and people wanted it but it was turned down. PCS threw the character out since nobody wanted the newer version.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:14 PM   #26
ClaraVoyent
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
It's not a waste of time. Fortunately for you, if your interest is in comics and comic art, you have 80+ years of content to go back and discover.

And while I'm not familiar with it presently, I'm sure there's a thriving indy scene out there somewhere. As someone else mentioned earlier, this PC nonsense is going to drive actual artists to do their own thing.

If you're enjoying yourself, don't let the nonsense deter you. Just keep looking and you'll find stuff that suits your tastes.

Yeah, well, maybe. I am interested in the art side for sure. But also in the story side. I feel like some of the modern storytelling from a writing and pacing perspective, in conjunction with the art, is really good these days. It has evolved just like TV.

But, if these stories just become a stylized version of something akin to Bob The Builder in terms of edginess, then I have no interest whatsoever.
Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:19 PM   #27
ClaraVoyent
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by extracomputer.1 View Post
This is also creeping into many video games now. PCS mentioned that they couldn’t do character representations of older versions of some characters by capcom and others and we’re making them change them to more modern much less sexy looking variants. They showed some of the art before sculpting and people wanted it but it was turned down. PCS threw the character out since nobody wanted the newer version.
Lots of video game franchises have suffered from this censorship, and it has caused an uproar each time that ultimately gets squelched by cancel culture. I have to believe it hurts the bottom line, but the producers are either backed into a corner or part of the problem.

Perhaps newly created independent content is all that's left, after all. I'm not interested in neutered content.

I do wonder, as far as the comic community is concerned, where most people stand. I mean, they haven't gone out of business yet, so it either hasn't gotten that bad, yet, or the majority must be on board. It seems like folks here are largely against leftist censorship to stories, writing, art, and themes, but that hasn't been my experience everywhere.

Most people have been extremely welcoming, but I did stumble into a Discord one time and... wow. If you weren't "woke" enough, and fully up the butts of DC and Marvel, you were ostracized and the target of extreme hate.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:31 PM   #28
Ateon
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Most people have been extremely welcoming, but I did stumble into a Discord one time and... wow. If you weren't "woke" enough, and fully up the butts of DC and Marvel, you were ostracized and the target of extreme hate.
That is a thing: at some point die hard fans align with casual audience. For the 1st group needs content to flow and considers changes an organic part of the process calling protesting part of the community orthodox and not able to evolve. While the 2nd just could not care less about any roots of the subject hobby and considers whatever changes are going on - just an adaptation to their proclivities. Cause again - changes are normal
Old 10-22-2021, 06:06 PM   #29
COI

Quote:
Yeah, well, maybe. I am interested in the art side for sure. But also in the story side. I feel like some of the modern storytelling from a writing and pacing perspective, in conjunction with the art, is really good these days. It has evolved just like TV.

But, if these stories just become a stylized version of something akin to Bob The Builder in terms of edginess, then I have no interest whatsoever.
Hopefully that makes sense.
I haven't read comics for a while, so from a story perspective I don't know what's going on. If you're finding great stuff out there, then great, support it and ignore the rest.

I think it's the mainstream stuff that's inching its way towards creative bankruptcy. Marvel, DC, Star Wars, etc. These properties are so big that they can no longer afford to do anything other than try to capture as large of an audience as possible. And as we all know, the more you try to please everyone, the more watered down the content becomes.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:09 PM   #30
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

well I can see the sales of DC and Marvel and its no where near what was selling in the 90s. From what I herd they cant even sell 15k copies of comics now.

To many artists and writers cry on social media bad mouthing the fans instead of listening to the core people who actually spend money on the books. Not the people who cry and dont even buy them.

Oh well independents and kick starter books is where its at now and im already watching a few kick starters to see if I want to jump in.
Closed Thread