Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Building shelves. Need advice

Hey guys, I'm going get someone to build me custom shelves. My question is how high should I make the space between shelves and what's a good depth to make sure the statues fit on the shelves. Any help would be appreciated.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:52 PM   #2
built2shred
Phoenix

I would give the most height to the bottom shelf (especially if it's only an inch or two off the floor) otherwise all you will see of the statue is it's waist down to it's feet which will force people to get down on their knee's to see the statues...

The same with the very top shelf if your going to take it to the ceiling, if the top shelf is to high you won't see much of the base of the statue.

With my setup, the bottom shelf sits about 2 inches off the floor so I made it roughly 31" tall before the next shelf begins, I did the same with the top shelf.. That way I can actually see the whole statue on the bottom shelf without having to bend down.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I would give the most height to the bottom shelf (especially if it's only an inch or two off the floor) otherwise all you will see of the statue is it's waist down to it's feet which will force people to get down on their knee's to see the statues...

The same with the very top shelf if your going to take it to the ceiling, if the top shelf is to high you won't see much of the base of the statue.

With my setup, the bottom shelf sits about 2 inches off the floor so I made it roughly 31" tall before the next shelf begins, I did the same with the top shelf.. That way I can actually see the whole statue on the bottom shelf without having to bend down.
Thanks for the tips. How deep did you make the shelves?
Old 02-16-2019, 02:06 PM   #4
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

1/6th. H"20 D"16

1/4th. H"30 D"20
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
SONICobra
Batman

For my 1/4 scale shelves im planning on making 32-37" tall display space, 24" deep, 6' wide, 2 shelves per unit
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #6
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

For me it would all depend on the height of your ceilings. If I was building shelves and had high ceilings(Over 100" Inches) I would probably start the base of the unit 5" off the ground, So that would be your bottom Shelf, then build two other shelves with 30" of space between them.

For the shelves I would use 2x2s as a skeleton and then overlay plywood, this way the shelves are stable enough to hold max weight, but you have the option of running wiring through them for embedded lights. You can also run wiring for USB or Plug connections for those statues that have them, this will save you putting batteries in the statues that can harm them or need to be replaced.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #7
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Thx for all the ideas. Keep it coming. I'm just wondering how much this is going to cost me.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:38 PM   #8
PermaGrin
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

measure your pieces?

but...

I am making cabinets to go around and hide the industrial shelving being used, so based on that and my pieces...2 ft deep by 4 wide.
As for space between shelves. Most of mine looks so be about a 2 to 2.5 foot gap.
Some are large for larger pieces, like Sauron.
Some are smaller for holding the Batmobile and Delorean snuggly.
PermaGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #9
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

The thing I'm most concerned about is the depth. All my stuff is in storage so it's going to be too much trouble to get measurements. If I have extra space that's ok.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:19 PM   #10
M United
The Spirit

Cant you make the shelves adjustable?
M United is offline   Reply With Quote