Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Kingofthehill78
King Mud

More eBay rules and restrictions coming soon for sellers!

I just got this email just now. I really hate eBay.

Spring Seller Update

Dear kingofthehill78:

Your commitment to great service is paying off! With eBay growing at double-digit rates, you now have access to more than 100 million active buyers. Updates coming this spring will help keep those growing ranks of online shoppers coming your way, help get your listings in front of the right buyers, protect your track record, and boost your efficiency.

Free pictures coming in July!

Your upfront cost of selling on eBay is going down again! Now, starting July 2, on top of listing up to 50 items Auction-style FREE each month, you'll get FREE pictures for all your listings, both Auction-style and Fixed Price. You can upload up to 12 pictures per listing and all 12 pictures will be free—including free zoom and enlarge! Listings with lots of great quality photos sell more, so start loading up now.

Top-rated seller updates reward listings with services buyers expect

Ecommerce standards for service have evolved in the three years since the eBay Top-rated seller program was first introduced, and savvy merchants like you have adapted to compete. Now the Top-rated seller program will also evolve to keep pace.

Starting in June, Top-rated sellers will need to have tracking information uploaded to eBay within their stated handling time on 90% or more of their transactions with US buyers. As of June 1, the 20% final value fee discount and greatest on average boost in Best Match will go to those listings from Top-rated sellers that include 1-day handling and a minimum 14-day return policy with a money-back refund option. Listings without these two services will still have the Top-rated seller badge and some boost in Best Match but will not earn the discounts or the highest average boost in Best Match.

Based on a February 20 evaluation, you'll need to take a few steps to keep your Top-rated benefits in June:

Start now to upload tracking information to meet the 90% mark. The easiest way to upload tracking information is to use eBay Labels. It's fast and easy, and tracking information is uploaded automatically. And USPS® now offers FREE Delivery Confirmation ™ with eBay Labels for many services, including First-Class Package service for parcels!
Update any 3-day or 7-day returns in your current listings to 14-days or longer with a money-back refund option.
Add the combination of 1-day handling time and minimum 14-day return policy with a money-back option to as many of your listings as possible.
As an extra reward for adding these in-demand services to your listings now, from March 1 to May 31, you'll get a bonus 5% discount off your final value fees—along with your current 20% discount—for all listings with 1-day handling and 14-day or longer returns with a money-back. Be sure to update your listings now to take full advantage of this discount!

Safeguards for your hard-earned performance record

New seller protections help ensure your performance record is an accurate reflection of your great service:

Get an automatic 5-star Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) for Communication when you specify same-day or 1-day handling, upload tracking information by the end of the next business day, and no communication is needed between you and the buyer.

Feedback left for a transaction where the buyer had an unpaid item recorded will be automatically removed.

Earlier this year, eBay started displaying an automatic message on the View Item page to buyers outside the US regarding customs-related delays and customs duties. Because of this, any Feedback from international buyers that only references customs issues will qualify for Feedback removal.

Updates to boost your efficiency and profitability

Manage your business policies from one handy location. Opt in to a new way to create and manage custom payment, shipping, and return policies and apply them to listings quickly and easily.

Streamline returns: An optional new way to manage returns virtually automates the process according to the terms you specify. Your buyer simply clicks a link in My eBay to print a pre-paid shipping label. When you get the item back, simply click a button to issue the refund. Your final value fees are automatically refunded.

New same-day handling time option. Let buyers know you ship the same day for orders received by your specified cut-off time.

USPS® First-Class Package service reclassified from Expedited to Standard. Take advantage of the savings this service offers, while setting the right delivery expectations for your buyers.

A message on the View Item page alerts buyers to the possibility of extended delivery time for items with longer than 3-day handling.

New requirements for pictures. High-quality pictures can make all the difference in enticing a buyer to choose your item over the rest. Starting this fall, all listings will be required to have at least one picture, and all photos must be at least 500 pixels on the longest side and cannot have added borders or text (watermarks okay).

Best Match using more information to get your listings in front of the right buyers. eBay's default sort order will begin looking at more information—including information in your item description—to evaluate items for ranking. Item Specifics, product codes like UPCs and ISBNs, brand, part numbers, and other descriptors will be increasingly important
Kingofthehill78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Mean Green
Fantomah

Where are the Cliffs Notes!?
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Where are the Cliffs Notes!?
+1. I have no idea what half of that was saying. But now I am going to offer a 6 year return window and free instantaneous teleportation to the winning bidder.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Kingofthehill78
King Mud

What it means is there is more hoops to jump through to being a top rated seller. Its already hard enough to maintain 5 stars in every category but now they want you to ship within 1 day of payment. They also want you to give buyers 14 days to return something ( Ooo I guess I can cancel Netflix and gamefly since I can just buy it on eBay and then return it for free ) Also now your pictures have to be a minimum of 500 pixels ( remember when eBay couldn't even handle uploading that many pixels?) Plus you have to provide tracking on 90% of your items . This is on top of all of eBays other requirements.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
johnclone
The Enchantress

I will personally hand deliver everything.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill78 View Post
What it means is there is more hoops to jump through to being a top rated seller. Its already hard enough to maintain 5 stars in every category but now they want you to ship within 1 day of payment. They also want you to give buyers 14 days to return something ( Ooo I guess I can cancel Netflix and gamefly since I can just buy it on eBay and then return it for free ) Also now your pictures have to be a minimum of 500 pixels ( remember when eBay couldn't even handle uploading that many pixels?) Plus you have to provide tracking on 90% of your items . This is on top of all of eBays other requirements.
FU ebay. This is just their backhanded way to force you to use the shipping option through them so that they can get kickbacks from USPS. I print my own labels through USPS at a discount. Is it the same discount through eBay or less or none? I hate being forced to do something as opposed to being given the option.

And as to shipping within one day of payment, yeah, get real. That is not going to happen all the time.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Kingofthehill78
King Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post

And as to shipping within one day of payment, yeah, get real. That is not going to happen all the time.
I know!! What if you sell something on Saturday? You can't ship til Monday or what if you sell an item one day and the next day is a holiday?
Old 02-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

How much merchandise to you need to sell to be a "Top Rate Seller"?
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Do people ACTUALLY make a living off of selling items on Ebay?

What bulk items do they sell that attract so much revenue? Dollar-store garbage that they mark up in price?

Buyin' books to help me with my business venture, I saw "start your Ebay business" books all over the place... I'd rather not put all my eggs in Ebay's basket, thanks.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
FU ebay. This is just their backhanded way to force you to use the shipping option through them so that they can get kickbacks from USPS. I print my own labels through USPS at a discount. Is it the same discount through eBay or less or none? I hate being forced to do something as opposed to being given the option.
I think the discount is the same. I go through paypal to get the shipping discount.

But I don't know why anyone would not track a package they are selling. The buyer can say anything and paypal will back them 100% of the time. In fact, I don't consider my auctions over until I get feedback or the item disappears from my sold page. eBay wants to be a store and not an auction site.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote