Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 05-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #51
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsOneDead View Post
Never been to a con before so can anyone tell me how the commissioned pieces work? Do you just give the artist X amount of money and they draw whatever you want and pick it up later on?
That's pretty much it in a nutshell. The main thing is to get in line early, as there are normally a limited number of slots available. There are also artists (e.g. Dave Finch) who draw the piece on the spot for each person, so you can be waiting in line for a while depending on their popularity. It can also be worthwhile sometimes trying to contact an artist in advance to see if they will do a piece for you to pick up at the con.

The other thing to remember is to always have reference material for whoever you want the artist to draw, just in case. This usually isn't necessary for the really popular characters like Batman or Superman (unless you're after a specific costume), but having a picture to refer to can sometimes help the artist a lot, particularly if your character is a little off the beaten track. Of course, in the age of smartphones, this can be a lot easier to get around.
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:28 AM   #52
AsOneDead
You got red on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrothy View Post
That's pretty much it in a nutshell. The main thing is to get in line early, as there are normally a limited number of slots available. There are also artists (e.g. Dave Finch) who draw the piece on the spot for each person, so you can be waiting in line for a while depending on their popularity. It can also be worthwhile sometimes trying to contact an artist in advance to see if they will do a piece for you to pick up at the con.

The other thing to remember is to always have reference material for whoever you want the artist to draw, just in case. This usually isn't necessary for the really popular characters like Batman or Superman (unless you're after a specific costume), but having a picture to refer to can sometimes help the artist a lot, particularly if your character is a little off the beaten track. Of course, in the age of smartphones, this can be a lot easier to get around.
Thanks a lot So is the first day Friday or Saturday?
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:46 AM   #53
Wrothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsOneDead View Post
Thanks a lot So is the first day Friday or Saturday?
Saturday is the first day that all the artists are set up. Friday night is more of an introduction, plus a couple of panels and the auction (which is usually mostly anime stuff).
Old 05-12-2012, 03:57 AM   #54
AsOneDead
You got red on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrothy View Post
Saturday is the first day that all the artists are set up. Friday night is more of an introduction, plus a couple of panels and the auction (which is usually mostly anime stuff).
Cheers
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #55
mez
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I've never really got comissions off the main comic guests, but do they ever do them on blank comic pages? I kinda want to start a jam piece and a comic page would be perfect aka a proper border that isn't the edge of the page so it can be framed afterwards.
mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #56
blink90210
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
I've never really got comissions off the main comic guests, but do they ever do them on blank comic pages? I kinda want to start a jam piece and a comic page would be perfect aka a proper border that isn't the edge of the page so it can be framed afterwards.
I'm pretty sure that they'll draw on anything you give them, can anyone back me up on this? I'm looking at getting some comic boards myself, but what did you mean by "blank comic pages"? Doesn't sound like we're talking about the same thing.

Jam pieces are addictive huh? Can't wait to see your AvX when it's completed.
blink90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #57
Wrothy

Quote:
In most cases, I think artists will happily use whatever paper you give them, whether it be a sketchbook, blank comic art page or comic sketch cover. I have a pad of Canson comic art pages, and Dave Finch didn't have any issue with drawing on one of those last year.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #58
mez
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I meant blank comic art pages. Where would you recommend that I purchase some?
mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #59
Royd
Producer
Producer

The artists will often bring their own paper but it's always best to be prepared. I think I've seen comic artboard for sale at comic shops in the past as well as at art suppliers like Jackson's in Perth.

Quote:
I meant blank comic art pages. Where would you recommend that I purchase some?
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #60
blink90210
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I think it's good practice to bring your own just in case, Pacheco in Melbourne did NOT have any paper with him and eventually one of the volunteers/organisers got a stack of A4 copy paper for him to draw on (but he'd draw in whatever you had if you prefered).
blink90210 is offline   Reply With Quote