Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-29-2019, 02:27 PM   #11
V4XCollect
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

It is curious as to why there are so many Predator statues... all 4 movies combined had a global gross of only $337m and none of them have a Metacritic score above 60. Wiki

There must be some type of coordinated Predator fan base with strategic product/statue influence all sitting in a room full of monitors and holo-displays...
V4XCollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:46 PM   #12
tonytiger
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4XCollect View Post
It is curious as to why there are so many Predator statues... all 4 movies combined had a global gross of only $337m and none of them have a Metacritic score above 60. (Wiki)

There must be some type of coordinated Predator fan base with strategic product/statue influence all sitting in a room full of monitors and holo-displays...
Maybe the baby boomers who have the most money grew up with first movie and still want relive it.
But this is pass for me..
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:53 PM   #13
French Cancan
Deadman

Oh, that's new. Never seen a statue of a Predator before...
A beautiful beast however. Hopefully not a plastic beast/bust.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:04 PM   #14
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4XCollect View Post
It is curious as to why there are so many Predator statues... all 4 movies combined had a global gross of only $337m and none of them have a Metacritic score above 60. (Wiki)

I think a really good creature design is a separate entity to the movies they star in. And the original Predator (And it's P2 sibling) Are up there among the very best alongside Gigers original Alien and the T-800. There really isn't much else that comes close. It is these creature designs in many ways that keep the movies living on rather than the other way around. Predator would likely be long forgotten by now if they went with the original creature design.

I will say however, most of what we're seeing form the likes of Prime 1 & Infinity etc from this license has been really cool also. We have seen lots of Predator statues for sure, but we haven't seen lots of really great Predator statues until recently. It's arguably one of the best times to be a fan of the franchise. Since Sideshows golden days of the original SWS maquette and life-size bust anyway (I so wish Sideshow and SWS had made a properly good P2 statue together back then!)

Now excuse me, back to my holo-displays.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:28 PM   #15
Incrysis
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytiger View Post
Maybe the baby boomers who have the most money grew up with first movie and still want relive it.
But this is pass for me..
I don’t think Predator is a “boomer” (over used stupid term that isn’t funny) film. I would say gen x.
Incrysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:31 PM   #16
Mr.Mxyzptlk
Justice League

DEFF wanna know who the sculptor is?? I wanna say it's Amilcar Aldana Fong's work but I may be wrong...either way "THE SCULPTOR DID AN A-MAZING JOB!!!!!" I REEALLLLY wish they'd done this piece as a full body 1/3 or 1/4 scale statue (similar to the wolf predator) with a gory base "THAT WOULD BE EPIC!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wolf-predator.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	127741  
Mr.Mxyzptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:37 PM   #17
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incrysis View Post
I don’t think Predator is a “boomer” (over used stupid term that isn’t funny) film. I would say gen x.
Ok, Boomer. But yeah, Gen X or beginning if Gen Y. Maybe the tail end of Boomers.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:31 PM   #18
dao2
Cyclops

edit woops: misread

In regards for Predators I'm all about the design, and while they are not great movies in general I love the AVP premise. Also the older games are ace.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:52 AM   #19
Xenoburger
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Another awesome predator prototype from Sideshow.

Prototype.
Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:22 AM   #20
sith_apprentice
The Avengers

My Dad's a Boomer and I'm Gen X and we both loved Predator back in 1987, I think it's still my old man's favorite sci-fi / action film of all-time. Pretty much any red-blooded American male loved Predator in the 80's.
sith_apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote