Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
Viking28
U talkin' to me?

Ipod transfer library question

Hey all does anybody know how to transfer all my songs and playlists on my ipod to a different computer?

Thanks
Viking28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:50 AM   #2
NovaKane
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking28 View Post
Hey all does anybody know how to transfer all my songs and playlists on my ipod to a different computer?

Thanks
Here's one How-To doc from apple.com. Good luck!
NovaKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
Underdog07
Hercules

Interesting. Can you maintain your Itunes library on 2 different computers, for example your home and office computers?
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
NovaKane
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Interesting. Can you maintain your Itunes library on 2 different computers, for example your home and office computers?
I haven't tried this, but I believe the answer is "no", because the iTunes libraries are treatly distinctly, and the only data direction is "from library to iPod". However, you can use multiple iTunes libraries to download to your iPod. So you could, in theory have a work-library and a home-library, but I don't think you can synch the libraries -- just the iPod. See also the pertinent questions in the iPod FAQ here.
NovaKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
titan7170
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

I use this method, you can move your library to any computer.

To move a whole Ipod music library off an Ipod and onto your computer.

Start with the iPod disconnected from the computer - DON'T CONNECT IPOD YET
- open iTunes
- open iTunes Preferences - this blocks iTunes from seeing an iPod connection; leave the preferences window up and running
- connect the iPod to the computer, wait about 15 seconds before continuing
- open 'My Computer'
- Tools menu, Folder Options, View tab, enable 'show hidden files /folders'
- open iPod icon in My Computer
- open iPod_Control folder
- you should see a folder named Music
- drag this folder to somewhere on your computer hard drive
- after the copy completes, right-click the new Music folder on your hard drive and select 'Properties'
- clear the checkmark next to 'Hidden'
- Close that explorer window
- eject iPod from System tray "Safely Remove Hardware" icon. This icon looks like a small gray rectangle with a green arrow floating above it. It's only there when a removable device (like the iPod in this case) is attached to the computer. Right-click & select 'Safely remove..', then click 'Stop' in the next window, OK in the next window, and then Close to complete the ejection.
- disconnect the iPod from the computer

- go back to iTunes, cancel the preferences window
- File menu \ Add folder to Library \ find that Music folder copied over from the iPod

Your iTunes library should be back in action! But wait - there's more!!

Long time forum regular Otto42 has a java script/program that can also retrieve the playlists themselves from the iPod as well. Here are his instructions and a link to the most recent thread discussing this tricky process:

] This is really useful when you're pulling all the songs off of an iPod to put them back into iTunes, because you lost your library or anything along those lines. Come up with your own reason for using it.

] Download this program:
http://otto.homedns.org:8888/iTunes/iPodGetXML.zip
(If you can't download it, try again later. The connection goes up and down a lot.)

] Now, put the iPod into Disk Mode or otherwise access the iPod as a drive. Make sure you can see hidden files, then go to the drive and the iPod_Control folder and find the iTunesDB file. Copy it to your PC.

] Put the copied iTunesDB file in the same directory as this program, then run the program. It'll read the iTunesDB, get all the playlists, and create an XML file for each one. Now just import those XML files into iTunes to recreate the playlists.

] Notes:
- The songs in playlist must already be in the iTunes library. If any one of them isn't there, iTunes throws up an error when you try to import the XML file.
- The song names, artist names, and album names in the library all must be identical as to what the iPod has. If you just copied all the music off the iPod and into iTunes, this will be the case, so it's generally not a big deal. but you'll get an error if it can't find the song in the iTunes library, so it's something to keep in mind.
- It probably won't be able to cope with unusual characters in song names. Sorry, not worth my time to fix. Dealing with unicode is way annoying.
- Smart Playlists get changed into regular playlists. It's *possible* for me to add the smart playlist stuff in there, but it'll take a while to work it all out.
<hr width="74%">
Original thread for Otto42's playlist recovery: http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@@.689c78f2/0
titan7170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan7170 View Post
I use this method, you can move your library to any computer.

To move a whole Ipod music library off an Ipod and onto your computer.

Start with the iPod disconnected from the computer - DON'T CONNECT IPOD YET
- open iTunes
- open iTunes Preferences - this blocks iTunes from seeing an iPod connection; leave the preferences window up and running
- connect the iPod to the computer, wait about 15 seconds before continuing
- open 'My Computer'
- Tools menu, Folder Options, View tab, enable 'show hidden files /folders'
- open iPod icon in My Computer
- open iPod_Control folder
- you should see a folder named Music
- drag this folder to somewhere on your computer hard drive
- after the copy completes, right-click the new Music folder on your hard drive and select 'Properties'
- clear the checkmark next to 'Hidden'
- Close that explorer window
- eject iPod from System tray "Safely Remove Hardware" icon. This icon looks like a small gray rectangle with a green arrow floating above it. It's only there when a removable device (like the iPod in this case) is attached to the computer. Right-click & select 'Safely remove..', then click 'Stop' in the next window, OK in the next window, and then Close to complete the ejection.
- disconnect the iPod from the computer

- go back to iTunes, cancel the preferences window
- File menu \ Add folder to Library \ find that Music folder copied over from the iPod

Your iTunes library should be back in action! But wait - there's more!!

Long time forum regular Otto42 has a java script/program that can also retrieve the playlists themselves from the iPod as well. Here are his instructions and a link to the most recent thread discussing this tricky process:

] This is really useful when you're pulling all the songs off of an iPod to put them back into iTunes, because you lost your library or anything along those lines. Come up with your own reason for using it.

] Download this program:
http://otto.homedns.org:8888/iTunes/iPodGetXML.zip
(If you can't download it, try again later. The connection goes up and down a lot.)

] Now, put the iPod into Disk Mode or otherwise access the iPod as a drive. Make sure you can see hidden files, then go to the drive and the iPod_Control folder and find the iTunesDB file. Copy it to your PC.

] Put the copied iTunesDB file in the same directory as this program, then run the program. It'll read the iTunesDB, get all the playlists, and create an XML file for each one. Now just import those XML files into iTunes to recreate the playlists.

] Notes:
- The songs in playlist must already be in the iTunes library. If any one of them isn't there, iTunes throws up an error when you try to import the XML file.
- The song names, artist names, and album names in the library all must be identical as to what the iPod has. If you just copied all the music off the iPod and into iTunes, this will be the case, so it's generally not a big deal. but you'll get an error if it can't find the song in the iTunes library, so it's something to keep in mind.
- It probably won't be able to cope with unusual characters in song names. Sorry, not worth my time to fix. Dealing with unicode is way annoying.
- Smart Playlists get changed into regular playlists. It's *possible* for me to add the smart playlist stuff in there, but it'll take a while to work it all out.
<hr width="74%">
Original thread for Otto42's playlist recovery: http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@@.689c78f2/0
Damn that`s a lot of work I just save my library on my external HD.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:56 PM   #7
titan7170

Huh?? lot of work??..... its a few clicks and drags on the mouse button.......lol?? Theres no heavy lifting involved, plus he didnt say he had a external HD. He says he's moving them to a different computer.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan7170 View Post
Huh?? lot of work??..... its a few clicks and drags on the mouse button.......lol?? Theres no heavy lifting involved, plus he didnt say he had a external HD.
Hey moving that mouse around is hard work imagine if it was a cat.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:06 PM   #9
titan7170

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin View Post
Hey moving that mouse around is hard work imagine if it was a cat.
Not only that, but all the annoying shifting from side to side in that nice cushy computer chair could get real tiring
Old 10-03-2006, 05:16 PM   #10
Viking28
U talkin' to me?

Is there one for transfering to a Mac?
The Apple way I have to delete a lot to make room on my ipod to place a folder on it and then transfer it over that way.
Viking28 is offline   Reply With Quote