Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 01-10-2015, 04:30 PM   #21
Shiz
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

If you fund PayPal with a credit card instead of a debit card, you then have the credit card's fraud protection above and beyond PayPal's.

Van Sciver is repped by Spencer Beck, though, so if the commission was done through him, than PayPal wasn't an option because he doesn't accept it, precisely to avoid PayPal's Buyer Protection.
Shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:07 PM   #22
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I hate to hear this stuff, I really do. Ethan is a good artist with a solid fan base that deserve more and will continue to get turned off if this trend continues. I don't get the vibe that he is taking commissions with the intent not to complete them - it sounds like he takes on more than his schedule allows, gets behind, and then doesn't say no to taking more on when he has an unfinished backlog. Regardless of intent, the end result is the same: EVS fans left in the lurch with two bad options - take a loss or chase an artist for something that is long ago paid for. It sounds to me like he should stop taking on commission work or get an agent that can manage his lists for him.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:14 PM   #23
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain88 View Post
past the 45 days, there's nothing the person paying can do about it.
I understand that but at least you can send the transaction number and the description to the artist to remind him of what he committed to. That seems to be his problem is that he can't remember (or doesn't keep track) of all the committed to.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #24
samhain88
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
I hate to hear this stuff, I really do. Ethan is a good artist with a solid fan base that deserve more and will continue to get turned off if this trend continues. I don't get the vibe that he is taking commissions with the intent not to complete them - it sounds like he takes on more than his schedule allows, gets behind, and then doesn't say no to taking more on when he has an unfinished backlog. Regardless of intent, the end result is the same: EVS fans left in the lurch with two bad options - take a loss or chase an artist for something that is long ago paid for. It sounds to me like he should stop taking on commission work or get an agent that can manage his lists for him.
Exactly, I love his work. But I didn't sign up to have hundreds of my dollars tied up in limbo because he can't get around to drawing me a picture he said should only take a few days. It's ridiculous. If he said it would be a looong wait BEFORE I paid, that's one thing. But the fact that he doesn't keep people in the know about the commission is just concerning to say the least. And damn disrespectful. I paid YOU, and I'm not at least owed an update every month or so? I don't think that's too much to ask. And another thing that irks me is he continues to show up at conventions, sketching for a ton of people. Why not skip a few of those cons so you can do what's right and finish up thosE commissions good people have been waiting months upon months for.
samhain88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #25
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiz View Post
If you fund PayPal with a credit card instead of a debit card, you then have the credit card's fraud protection above and beyond PayPal's.

Van Sciver is repped by Spencer Beck, though, so if the commission was done through him, than PayPal wasn't an option because he doesn't accept it, precisely to avoid PayPal's Buyer Protection.
That is pure and unsupported speculation re Spencer
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #26
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post

CAF
Old 01-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #27
morgs
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain88 View Post
Ethan has contacted me through the forum. But really, the fact that he can't even narrow down what commission I'm talking about makes me think he has collected A LOT of money from people and is leaving them hanging with almost zero communication and false promises. I am currently Private messaging 3 DIFFERENT PEOPLE who all have said they have receved hardly any communication and one goes all the way back to MARCH.

Then I see people on Facebook posting sketches he's done for them at conventions, meanwhile people who have spent literally hundreds of dollars on a sketch are left high and dry waiting 6 months to a year for a drawing from Van Sciver. It's not right. A little communication, and update every few weeks is all people need. Ethan, if you do happen to read this. Do everyone a favor. Just update people on the status of their sketches. Lord knows how many people you would actually have to message. You've must have made a TON of cash...
I have been waiting since December 2013!!!!
morgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #28
Shiz
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Why do you not accept Credit Cards/Paypal?

Possibly my most frequently asked question, and the answer is that the Credit Card companies do not have a method (nor do most of their customers want one) to waive the Buyer Protection Policy for Fine Arts or 1 of a Kind Items. While the purpose of this Policy on Credit Cards is to guarantee a replacement for a faulty item, no such replacement exists on Comic Book Original Artwork, so as a term of accepting Credit Cards, the business owner agrees to provide a full refund at any time, up to 1 year from Date of Purchase on some types of cards, if they cannot provide an exact replacement. Due to this restriction, for me to accept Credit Cards I would have to withhold payment from the artist until the buyer protection policy time limit has passed, which is not fair to the artist. I refuse to do this to the Artists I represent, so until Credit Card Companies create a Legally Upheld Waiver that may be used by their customers, I cannot accept Credit Cards. Paypal's user Protection Policy works in the same manner. This is especially true of International Orders, where US laws do not apply and there is no cost-effective mechanism in place to prosecute Credit Card Fraud Charges Internationally.

I wasn't trying to disparage him; far from it, I've worked with him and he's been terrific, but it's right there in black and white.
Shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #29
Mfinn123
Hydra

EVS seems like one of those guys who takes money and doesn't deliver -- I had -- as I said -- big problems with him. Now, I do a chargeback on day 44 via paypal...I offer to repay but I make clear that every 44 days I will file with Paypal...gotta protect yourself
Mfinn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:07 PM   #30
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiz View Post
Why do you not accept Credit Cards/Paypal?

Possibly my most frequently asked question, and the answer is that the Credit Card companies do not have a method (nor do most of their customers want one) to waive the Buyer Protection Policy for Fine Arts or 1 of a Kind Items. While the purpose of this Policy on Credit Cards is to guarantee a replacement for a faulty item, no such replacement exists on Comic Book Original Artwork, so as a term of accepting Credit Cards, the business owner agrees to provide a full refund at any time, up to 1 year from Date of Purchase on some types of cards, if they cannot provide an exact replacement. Due to this restriction, for me to accept Credit Cards I would have to withhold payment from the artist until the buyer protection policy time limit has passed, which is not fair to the artist. I refuse to do this to the Artists I represent, so until Credit Card Companies create a Legally Upheld Waiver that may be used by their customers, I cannot accept Credit Cards. Paypal's user Protection Policy works in the same manner. This is especially true of International Orders, where US laws do not apply and there is no cost-effective mechanism in place to prosecute Credit Card Fraud Charges Internationally.

I wasn't trying to disparage him; far from it, I've worked with him and he's been terrific, but it's right there in black and white.
I didn't know that - interesting

I am with you re Spencer - top notch in my book

CAF