Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 01-11-2006, 02:36 AM   #1
bat_collector
Galactus

B_C's Review of Green Lantern vs Sinestro

2005 saw the release of many good "vs" statues. On paper the Green Lantern vs Sinestro looked to be the best of them all. Does this innovative statue justify the exorbitant price DC Direct is charging for it? Well, after receiving this statue from D Rod, I can honestly tell you my opinion. Lets take a closer look at this statue.

The Sculpt
To say the sculpt is an inspired pose would be a gross understatement. The piece has Hal Jordan and Sinestro literally locked in hand to hand aerial combat. The statue's moutainy base pulls of the flying effect remarkably well. Sinestro's left leg contains a peg that is the statue's only means of support, while Hal Jordan's feet are completely off the base period. I can only imagine just how long Tim Bruckner palyed with the sculpt to get the physics just right.

The two combantants themselves are amazingly well sculpted. Its hard to imagine either Sinestro or Jordan looking any better. Neither are overly musculed, and the look of anger out of Jordan's face and hatred out of Sinestro's is clearly visible. The sculpt looks amazing from various angles as well, the mark of any good sculpture. However, the only gripe I would have is the area where GL's hand is griping Sinestro's wrist. Unfortantely, the fingers seem to be too deeply entrenched into the wrist and also seem a bit too long. While this may be a necessary evil in order for Sinestro's wrist to support all of GL's sculpt's weight, it is a bit distracting.

The Paint Job
I can say another flawless paint job by DC Direct. While neither Sinestro nor GL has the most complicated costume to paint, it is done very well. The blue and green on each's respective costume is painted in a metallic shade that give it just the right shien as well. I also have high remarks for the paint job on the faces. Each is painted perjectly. The only part painted perhaps a bit lazily is GL's power ring. Its just a solid green mass that doesn't seem to distinguish any feature on it. However, the smallness of the ring may have contributed to that.

Other Points
With such an innovative statue, with only one small peg supporting two statues, you should not be surprised this statue comes with a major breakage warning. Many I have talked to have seen cracks along Jordan's wrist, others have claimed complete breakages there. This is one piece that must be inspected before you buy. Also, other will certainly gripe about the small size of the piece. Jordan is definately a bit smaller than the recent full size Flash and Martian Manhunter releases. However, this may be due to the physics of the piece completely.

As far as price, it is a hefty $195.00. However, with such a small run, only 1,000 pieces with such major breakage potential, this piece may certainly rise up in value.

Conclusion
No doubt the inspired pose makes this an eye catcher. Either on paper or face to face, this sculpt makes an impression. However, the smallness of the piece, scale issues with other DC sculpts, and its expensive MSRP may not makes this a piece for everyone. While any hard-core DC and GL fan should have this in their collection, others may want to look at this closely to see if its for them. Be warned, however, its small run and breakage problem may cause this to shoot up in value in the after market. I give this piece a solid 4 out of 5 stars.

Last edited by d rod; 01-12-2006 at 12:20 PM.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Fantastic review B_C. Hopefully my reviews will achieve this quality soon. This is my pick for sculpt of the year BTW. I must pick it up. DC have got one of the very best in Bruckner, the guy is a God among sculptors and is always willing to try poses others could never imagine. Again great review of the sculpt of the year.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
daveyyojimbo
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Good point about the future scarsity of the piece due to edition size and breakage or fractures. In four or so years who knows what this'll go for?
daveyyojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #4
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
Fantastic review B_C. Hopefully my reviews will achieve this quality soon. This is my pick for sculpt of the year BTW. I must pick it up. DC have got one of the very best in Bruckner, the guy is a God among sculptors and is always willing to try poses others could never imagine. Again great review of the sculpt of the year.
I love your reviews man. Can't wait to read more from you.

thanks for the compliments. I honestly feel I write better statue review than comic reviews.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:04 PM   #5
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector

thanks for the compliments. I honestly feel I write better statue review than comic reviews.
Both are excellent.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:34 PM   #6
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector

Oh please, "Mr. G.B.U.", give yourself some credit!
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:27 PM   #7
Kirk Durfey
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Great job on the review, Bat Collector -
Price and scale are the reasons I've avoided picking up any of the DC pieces. Though the Batman B&W pieces are very tempting. They also have one of the best in the business doing sculpts for them...
Kirk Durfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:33 PM   #8
bat_collector
Galactus

Durfey, get the black and white line! Its great! This is one line I think dc is really hitting outta the park.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:29 AM   #9
bane
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Keep them coming B_C , great review very helpful.
bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:02 AM   #10
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bane
Keep them coming B_C , great review very helpful.
I know the DC stuff doesn't get as much buzz and support as other Marvel prodcuts, but I think some of their stuff are high quailty. I hope to highlight these statues especially in my reviews.

Thanks for the compliments.