Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > CKinSD Conventions

Old 01-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #31
Shandil
U talkin' to me?

Even "better", you could sign other people. There were folks in the list who didn't attend the con, but were signed in by friends. However, as far as I know, they didn't get chosen (I guess mostly because at the moment of chosing his next sketch to do they weren't around). As Bolland takes a long time to do each sketch, you could more or less calculate and be back around the time he was finishing a piece to increase your chances. He was never alone and I guess he'd rather do a sketch for somebody who's there chatting with him and so on than for someone who just signed in and never appeared (that's my guessing though).
Shandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:35 AM   #32
blasto14
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanny View Post
actually i booked it this week
Ooo your right might jump on the Band Wagon there last time I checked everywhere said they were booked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleBlueRoses View Post
Wow, it sounds like it is going to be a great show. And Jim Cheung is going to be there and doing sketches (so lucky). I hope everyone has fun.
Yeah I think this may have been the first time he's come over here for us. I imagine everyone will be jumping at the opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandil View Post
This is the piece I got from Bolland at Kapow last year: http://i54.tinypic.com/14l6hbk.jpg
I myself didn't like the show so much, as some of the artists I most wanted to meet had such long lines they didn't sketch at all. Taking into account the cost of flying+accomodation it was not worth it. However it was great meeting Adi Granov, James Hodgkins, Guillermo Ortego again, and making some new friends too :-)

So far I've arranged a Conan piece (325$) from George Perez that will accompany the Sonja I got from him in Aviles two years ago: http://i54.tinypic.com/2z6zhjc.jpg
Then, i'm going to order one from JK Woodward (35$ for a three character piece is difficult to beat), and am trying to arrange a couple commissions with Emanuela.

By the way, I'm flying from Bilbao, on the north of Spain. Just a miniflight as you can see. For anyone looking for a hotel, a friend of mine just booked a room at the "Custom Hotel" which is pretty near the Excel con hall so they should still have more rooms (he used booking.com). The "waiting in the street because hall still closed" thing is no problem, I've been at Madrid convention a couple of years at 4 a.m., snowing, in the middle of nowhere. I guess the weather will be pretty tough in London but well, it's Stan Lee!
I think the worst thing about the show was they had all these amazing artists but didn't give any of them a table! So we missed out on The chance of properly meeting John Romita Jr, Adi Granov ect. Over then that a lot of the panels were good. Me and my girlfriend were happy we got too meeet some of the cast of Mis-fits! I can understand considering you flew over. Very nice piece! I think I saw your old threat on it. Did you get any over pieces at the show? I still haven't uploaded mine yet.

Wow sounds like you have a nice selection going already! I really want too get a Starfire from George Perez there is just something about the way he draws her I love! I really want a Emanuela but I don't know if my budget is going too stretch haha!

Thanks for the info I have just looked and your right I'll speak too my girlfriend and see if she is interested in staying for the night. I've stayed there before its quite nice and literally a five minute walk from the convention hall. I might try and target Stan on Sunday spend the whole day waiting! The only problem I think your going too have in London is it'll be cold and dark.
blasto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #33
blasto14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
no frank quitely listed yet. I know he's not a big fan of cons
Yeah he doesn't do too many but he was at the MCM Expo last year for an hour or two and he did free sketches! Nice ones too. I saw him and said too myself "he won't be sketching" how wrong was I! Still kicking myself over it haha.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #34
abarron
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasto14 View Post
Yeah he doesn't do too many but he was at the MCM Expo last year for an hour or two and he did free sketches! Nice ones too. I saw him and said too myself "he won't be sketching" how wrong was I! Still kicking myself over it haha.
Looks like he will be at Kapoow
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #35
Shandil
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
I think the worst thing about the show was they had all these amazing artists but didn't give any of them a table! So we missed out on The chance of properly meeting John Romita Jr, Adi Granov ect. Over then that a lot of the panels were good. Me and my girlfriend were happy we got too meeet some of the cast of Mis-fits! I can understand considering you flew over. Very nice piece! I think I saw your old threat on it. Did you get any over pieces at the show? I still haven't uploaded mine yet.

Wow sounds like you have a nice selection going already! I really want too get a Starfire from George Perez there is just something about the way he draws her I love! I really want a Emanuela but I don't know if my budget is going too stretch haha!

Thanks for the info I have just looked and your right I'll speak too my girlfriend and see if she is interested in staying for the night. I've stayed there before its quite nice and literally a five minute walk from the convention hall. I might try and target Stan on Sunday spend the whole day waiting! The only problem I think your going too have in London is it'll be cold and dark.
True, I think the biggest problem at Kapow was they had too many great artists and not enough tables. So many had just a signing session, and you had a huge amount of people there waiting for them, so it was similar to a fast food restaurant but with signatures. A very sad thing because the artist list was very very good, and with many of them you could see they really wanted to do more than just a quick signature but they had nowhere to go out of the sessions they had.

For Perez, I'd recommend you to be quick and contact him right now about a commission. He's got already a few requests in, and I know at least of two more people who are heavily considering asking for pieces too, so he may stop accepting requests (he's supposedly doing them on the plane to London so I guess he can't do SO many).

I have decided to dedicate Saturday to Stan Lee (well as much of it as is needed to get his signatures). My plane is leaving on Sunday at 6 pm so I will probably have to quit the hall at around 2 or so (leaving from Stansted and not sure how long it'll take to get to the station for the stansted express) so I don't want to risk missing him.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #36
blasto14

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarron View Post
Looks like he will be at Kapoow
That's the problem about Kapow they having very limited signing slots and don't have the time too Sketch as they have too get through a huge queue.

Quote:
True, I think the biggest problem at Kapow was they had too many great artists and not enough tables. So many had just a signing session, and you had a huge amount of people there waiting for them, so it was similar to a fast food restaurant but with signatures. A very sad thing because the artist list was very very good, and with many of them you could see they really wanted to do more than just a quick signature but they had nowhere to go out of the sessions they had.

For Perez, I'd recommend you to be quick and contact him right now about a commission. He's got already a few requests in, and I know at least of two more people who are heavily considering asking for pieces too, so he may stop accepting requests (he's supposedly doing them on the plane to London so I guess he can't do SO many).

I have decided to dedicate Saturday to Stan Lee (well as much of it as is needed to get his signatures). My plane is leaving on Sunday at 6 pm so I will probably have to quit the hall at around 2 or so (leaving from Stansted and not sure how long it'll take to get to the station for the stansted express) so I don't want to risk missing him.
So very true, I do think the first year suffered from teething problems. Hopefully this year will be a bit better. I don't think I will be going for the whole weekend though because I didn't really come away with that much. I did get a very quick sketch of Lienel Yu which made me very happy. He is a really nice guy hope he comes back again soon.

Yeah I think I will inquired about a bust piece! Could you send me his contact please? I can't seem too find it anywhere.

Yeah that seems fair obviously you don't want too miss you plane! I may try on Saturday my main goal is to speak too the artists in order too get onto the list. I doubt you'll be in a queue all day considering he's charging as well. Should thin it out a lot.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #37
abarron
Batman

Looks like this or Kapow are gonna be my big con for 2013
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #38
Shandil
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
That's the problem about Kapow they having very limited signing slots and don't have the time too Sketch as they have too get through a huge queue.

So very true, I do think the first year suffered from teething problems. Hopefully this year will be a bit better. I don't think I will be going for the whole weekend though because I didn't really come away with that much. I did get a very quick sketch of Lienel Yu which made me very happy. He is a really nice guy hope he comes back again soon.

Yeah I think I will inquired about a bust piece! Could you send me his contact please? I can't seem too find it anywhere.

Yeah that seems fair obviously you don't want too miss you plane! I may try on Saturday my main goal is to speak too the artists in order too get onto the list. I doubt you'll be in a queue all day considering he's charging as well. Should thin it out a lot.
I contacted Perez through Facebook. If you want I can contact him with your request, I'm already getting another piece for a friend lol!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #39
blasto14

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarron View Post
Looks like this or Kapow are gonna be my big con for 2013
We'll let you know how this one goes. I reckon this is going too surpass Kapow though.

Quote:
I contacted Perez through Facebook. If you want I can contact him with your request, I'm already getting another piece for a friend lol!
I just found and wrote on his Facebook group a second ago. Is that what you did? If not yeah sure if you wouldn't mind!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #40
Shandil
U talkin' to me?

It seems someone arranged a commission or tried to using the fanpage. I did it through his personal facebook though, which may be quicker. Please drop me a PM if you want me to try with the details of what you want exactly and I'll forward it to him