Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 05-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

No Mighty Reviews 5-7-09

Sorry, guys. We can't make it happen this week.

Sam's books didn't come out, Dawg can't even pick his up until tomorrow afternoon, and I've been kicked so hard by work that I'm just going home, reading comics and going to bed.

Next week we hope to be back.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
protector2814
Phoenix

We understand...time for a rest.....sleep, mighty reviewers....just.....sleeeeeep.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

understandable guys. I'll chime in with my Geoff Johns goodness for the week. I hope you all got your Blackest Night # 0 book. What a total set-up that can't get here quick enough. Johns & Reis do a excellent quick story setting things up and even continuing Barry's story from rebirth. We get to see the Indigo lanterns and take a few more stabs at the Black Lanterns. Ronnie Raymond, Ralph & Sue Dibny, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter to name a few. Looks like a great "non-event" as Johns is quick to point out. I don't know if even he can top how big this is going to be . and the move to Flash :Rebirth # 2 which is still a lot of set-up with a surprising ending. I could see this tying in to Blackest Night is Johns wanted to go that direction, but I don't think he will. Though the Black Flash would be a obvious choice for a Black Lantern. Wait and see. Thank god for Geoff Johns the only guy at DC who has his head on right. He really needs to clone himself and write everything.
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
bat_collector
Galactus

Pinch Hit (DC) Reviews

Read some comics last night and wanted to do some mini-reviews:

Dead Romeo #2 (of 6)
Written by Jesse Blaze Snider
Art by Ryan Benjam
DC Comics

Vampires do not have the same presence in the DCU as they do in the Marvel U. Hopefully, Jesse Blaze Snider can fix that. Dead Romeo is about 7 vampires unleashed from hell, wreaking havok, and gleefully killing people. Well, all except Romeo, a never-was rock singer turned vampire who finds himself released from Hell with other vampires who revel in their nature.

In issue one, shortly after being released from Hell, he meets Whisper, an attractive girl, and her dog. He is immediately attracted to her, but she blows him off. Romeo is soon re-united with the other vampires, each with their own unique characteristics. They tell Romeo he has a choice, he can either go back to Hell or feast on a human, that human being no other than (of course) Whisper.

Issue two revolves around Whisper and Romeo desperately (and futily) trying to outrun the gang of vampires. I'm thoroughly enjoying this mini-series so far, liking the writing and tone of the story and the art by Ryan Benjamin. While it really has no impact on the rest of the DCU, anyone wanting a good vampire read may do well to at least check this out. For an interview with Snyder, click here.

Final Crisis Aftermath: Run #1 (of 6)
Written by Matthew Sturges
Art by Freddie E. Williams II
DC Comics

Wow, DC has a job on their hands trying to sell four (FOUR!!!) six issue Final Crisis aftermath mini-series. Honestly I don't see anyone giving a crap about six issue mini-series revolving around those stupid techno kids or Tattoo Man. And lets be honest, even though the Human Flame was involved in the killing of Martian Manhunter, he is so D-list villain that I doubt many will even be tempted to pick this up after the sour taste Final Crisis left in EVERYONE's mouth.

But, I decided to pick this up. Not sure why, but it seemed interesting enough. And I must say it isn't as bad as you probably think. The Human Flame wakes up in a hospital after recovering from the Anti-Life equation (thanks Grant Morrison for making the Anti-Life equation so much more boring than I thought it could ever be) and immediately realizes he needs to get out of the country asap. Not only are the Heroes gonna be after him for his part in MM killing, but there are plenty of bad guys after him as well.

I gotta say Sturges made Human Flame to be a bit more interesting and dangerous than I thought capable (especially since I hadn't even heard of him before Final Crisis). But the character is still a bit of a joke, especially since Freddie Williams draws Human Flame to look very much like Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I mean 50 years passed from his first appearance to his re-emergence in Final Crisis. Why does DC think they can all of a sudden make him an A-list villain???

I'm not sure this is gonna be a great mini-series, but I enjoyed the first issue.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote