Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

Selling Comics

Do comic shops still buy old comics? I have a couple of thousand from the 90s and early 2000s when my son read them--usually once and then into storage. They are all in great shape and just in boxes in the attic. I'm starting to clear out old stuff in the attic, including all the comics, a few hundred TPBs, DVDs, Video games, etc. It seems a shame to toss the comics. Alternatively I might donate them and take a tax writeoff which I could aways use. But any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Underdog07
Hercules

The tax write-off is probably the better bet in terms of value. Maybe Cherry pick out the top 50 books

My thought is that If a store were even agreeable to buying them, given they are all 90s and later, you might get a nickel or dime each.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Underdog07
Hercules

Also do not discount ebay. If you group the books and have runs you might be able to get a buck a book.

I sold a run of Xmen and a misc box of Star Wars books for about a buck each
Old 09-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
Teague
Iron Man

How do you give away comics for tax value? I tried to do this a few years ago, but couldn't figure out how to do it.

I know I can dump them at the Goodwill, but how do you know the value of it without a specific receipt saying so (like they do for cars, etc.)

Just wondering. I agree with Bill on the 'bay. I haven't done it in a while, but I'm gearing up to do it again, and I'm always surprised how much stuff still goes for there. Decent prices, anyway--better than any brick and mortar store will be able to offer, for sure.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

The only bad thing about selling on eBay is that he post office does not allow you to ship comics media rate anymore. That used to keep shipping g costs really reasonable. I have had them open a box before and send it back when I tried to ship media after the rule change. Jerks.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

was hit or miss for me, unless key books where in lots of 30-40 no one purchased them. But even then the lots were not selling well at all.

So what i did was gather key books into lots and sold them, those did semi well. Now with all the extras at my parents, i plan to donate for a tex write off.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

I put a few lots on ebay, but it's really more trouble than it's worth. The money is not even that big of a thing. I'd rather just load up the car, drive them somewhere and sell in one fell swoop. A dime on the dollar or whatever is less of a concern than simply dropping them at a Goodwill and having them go who knows where. As for the writeoff, if I donate to goodwill, a library or one of the schools and turn the receipts over to our accountant its put into our return.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
I put a few lots on ebay, but it's really more trouble than it's worth. The money is not even that big of a thing. I'd rather just load up the car, drive them somewhere and sell in one fell swoop. A dime on the dollar or whatever is less of a concern than simply dropping them at a Goodwill and having them go who knows where. As for the writeoff, if I donate to goodwill, a library or one of the schools and turn the receipts over to our accountant its put into our return.
Do you know what your accountant claims for the donations, though? Not Overstreet guide prices, surely? I'd be a lot more confident about just dropping off a ton of comics if I knew how to write it off.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Think about donating to the military. I sent 3 boxes about 4 years ago and got a nice thank-you from some Colonel.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
Underdog07
Hercules

You get a receipt from Goodwill showing the donation. You then assign fair market value to what you donated. As LNG as no 1 item is over a certain amount ($500???) you do not need to show proof of purchase.

You could use overstreet price, or cover price or $1 a book - I have generally assigned a value of a buck a book considering most cost 2 or 3