Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #661
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

This is probably the last of them anyways. Has a much more serious tone than any of the others and traditional score. In fact my preference would had been that this be the first and only trailer. But I get that they had to intro the characters to people slowly and more light hearted. This one stresses and says yes.... these are indeed the GUARDIANS of the Galaxy and what that means.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #662
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Now THAT is the trailer I've been waiting for.

For those choosing not to watch it it's more or less the same footage but as mentioned it has a more serious tone and an actual film score.

As fun as the other trailers where I much prefer the epic feel a traditional film score generates.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #663
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Now THAT is the trailer I've been waiting for.

For those choosing not to watch it it's more or less the same footage but as mentioned it has a more serious tone and an actual film score.

As fun as the other trailers where I much prefer the epic feel a traditional film score generates.
Completely agree.

Finally got rid of that tiresome comedy-style music. It was seriously putting me off the film.

As soon as I heard the music from the new trailer, I thought 'I'm sold now'

It's crazy what the simplest choice of trailer music does to someone's opinion about the film itself.
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #664
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I think the intention of incorporating the comedic tone and rock music was an attempt to appeal to a broader base out of fear the subject matter might be a bit too out there for some. Especially considering the characters, namely Rocket. Its kind of ironic though that it had the exact opposite effect in a lot of cases.

Speaking from my personal experience seeing the other trailers theatrically with friends and family at least a half dozen times now (all of which have no idea who the GotG are) only 1 out of 7 said they wanted to see it. A couple of them even went as far as to say it looked ridiculous. Of course I didn't agree but I wonder had the studio taken this more serious approach with their marketing of the film from the beginning would my friends and family (most of which like this kind of material) have been as turned off?
Old 06-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #665
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I think the intention of incorporating the comedic tone and rock music was an attempt to appeal to a broader base out of fear the subject matter might be a bit too out there for some. Especially considering the characters, namely Rocket. Its kind of ironic though that it had the exact opposite effect in a lot of cases.

Speaking from my personal experience seeing the other trailers theatrically with friends and family at least a half dozen times now (all of which have no idea who the GotG are) only 1 out of 7 said they wanted to see it. A couple of them even went as far as to say it looked ridiculous. Of course I didn't agree but I wonder had the studio taken this more serious approach with their marketing of the film from the beginning would my friends and family (most of which like this kind of material) have been as turned off?
I've had the same experience. Only because of my love of comics will I see this opening night. Otherwise, the first trailers looked silly IMO.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #666
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

i wont go and see this at the theater. ill wait for the BD. but i think ill like this film due to the fact that i know nothing about these guys. and that they are all new to me. but we'll see. will depend on how well the film is i guess.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #667
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

This movie will look spectacular in the cinema. If people don't support these lesser known movies Marvel will not be so adventurous. Go see this in the cinema.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #668
MrYac
Hercules

I found this to be the worst trailer so far to be honest, the others gave it a much needed injection of fun, considering the subject matter trying to play this off as seriously as this new trailer does is just silly. but reading the response I guess as usual i'm alone in my opinion, apparently adding dramatic music to a background trumps the fact that 2 of the stars are a talking raccoon and a giant tree monster
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #669
Luminous
Cyclops

I've had the exact opposite experience. I've seen the trailer theatrically a few times with different friends and family, and 5 of 5 have said they were interested in seeing the movie. What I find amusing is that those claiming they were "put off" by the lighthearted tone of the first few trailers should know better than to assume the movie is going to just be some silly comedy. If it isn't evident enough from what is shown in the trailers (which I think is painfully obvious that it isn't), Marvel's track record should be enough reassurance that they will treat the property right.

It's a trailer. They don't define the movie. I don't need a new trailer with a serious musical score to tell me that this movie will be epic in scope with the appropriate amount of drama.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:38 PM   #670
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I don't need a new trailer with a serious musical score to tell me that this movie will be epic in scope with the appropriate amount of drama.
You, I and others here that are more plugged into this sort of material may understand this but not every average movie goer will.

To be clear I've liked all the trailers so far but as a fan of film scores in general I will always favor hearing something dramatic and original in a trailer vs any type of established pop/rock music. Especially when that music is being applied to otherworldly material such as this. Not saying it doesn't work sometimes, I just don't like it as much myself.