Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 01-19-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
SupermanReigns7
U talkin' to me?

Putting A Statue Back Together

Recently, my Bowen Silver Surfer Action statue was dropped and broken (look under thread "R.I.P(ces), Silver Surfer" in the Bowen Designs section). Left arm & hand (2 pcs.), left lower leg after bent knee (1 pc.), right leg & foot (2 pcs.) were all broken off from the torso. The nose has a chip on it as well. I was gonna send it off to a chrome shop to have it chromed before the accident had occured. I've heard from some forum members that some shops offer to do both fix AND chrome, while others suggest you glue on the broken pieces before shipping the statue. My question is: if I decide to opt for the latter, to glue on the broken pieces myself, will the shop sand and fill in left-over cracks and chips or will they just go ahead and proceed to the chroming? What glue/adhesive is recommended for such a job if I do it myself? Thanks!
SupermanReigns7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
CHUCKYBABY555
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

I would pin the broken peices and glue em up with epoxy then fill the cracks with putty and wet sand till smooth. Not sure about the chroming process though.
CHUCKYBABY555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:34 AM   #3
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Ok lets try to run this down.

First drill holes into the area that a pin can fit into. Say a screw width.

Then there is epoxy you can buy at home depot that can glue the pieces together with the pin inside. That also can be sanded down to even out the statue. Thats the easy and cheap way to fix the statue.

Guys in that one thread that i linked you will paint over the paint anyway so if it looks messy, dont worry. Just get it smoother and pieced together.

Other things to get would be aves expoxy sculpt. you mix A and B together and can fill in and sculpt missing chunks. Then let it dry for 24 hours and sand away to smooth out.

Also there is Tamiya Puttys that can be found at a lot of hobby shops that can fill in cracks too once glued.

But looking at your piece, simple super glue wont work and pinning it is the best thing to do.

Can do a lot of thread finding in here that talks about aves and pinning.

All else fails, contact me or one of the other painters/mods and we could prob fix it for you. Its a simple job and prob could do it for shipping costs and a coke since pepsi sucks.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:37 AM   #4
bruhaha69
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
Ok lets try to run this down.

First drill holes into the area that a pin can fit into. Say a screw with.

Then there is epoxy you can buy at home depot that can glue the pieces together with the pin inside. That also can be sanded down to even out the statue. Thats the easy and cheap way to fix the statue.

Guys in that one thread that i linked you will paint over the paint anyway so if it looks messy, dont worry. Just get it smoother and pieced together.

Other things to get would be aves expoxy sculpt. you mix A and B together and can fill in and sculpt missing chunks. Then let it dry for 24 hours and sand away to smooth out.

Also there is Tamiya Puttys that can be found at a lot of hobby shops that can fill in cracks too once glued.

But looking at your piece, simple super glue wont work and pinning it is the best thing to do.

Can do a lot of thread finding in here that talks about aves and pinning.

All else fails, contact me or one of the other painters/mods and we could prob fix it for you. Its a simple job and prob could do it for shipping costs and a coke since pepsi sucks.
This is true.

Good luck with the Surfer
bruhaha69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
. coke since pepsi sucks.
best advice you can give
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #6