Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-23-2022, 05:11 PM   #11
qz33
Doctor Doom

I'll play Devil's advocate and the thing y'all are discounting with movies AND statues are...
Middle of the Road Casuals.

MOST people want something they can watch with kids
MOST people want to be mindlessly entertained
MOST people will see something just to see something

None of this is really that different from the 90s and earlier 00s when movies were all about star power.

And we all are part of the problem and there's no way around it. I really wanted to see the Northman in the theater but what did I see when I had my chance? Doctor Strange because I figured if I only saw one in a theater that one would benefit the most from the experience.

If Star Wars is a herald of the start of the problem its also a sign of the continuance. People were so pissed their beliefs got phucked in that movie that there was no way anything other than Rise of Skywalker was happening. Solo could have been hilarious if the Lego directors were allowed to have their way but instead they went safe with Ron Howard who while a great director is about as funny as a tax audit.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:38 PM   #12
extracomputer.1
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Have to agree. So many are about making a statement and pushing agendas that they make a piss poor movie. I don’t even want to see stuff like that on an agenda I support let alone one I don’t. So tired of it that i stopped going to the movies around a decade ago with zero intention of ever going back. Not paying $30 for two of us at the movies to watch more politics from any side.
Not opposed to prequels and sequels if done with a real story. So far I am enjoying the prequel lord of the rings and I enjoyed the Star Wars prequels back in the 90’s. The story has to drive the film not a couple pretty scenes or agendas.
extracomputer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 07:13 PM   #13
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
I really wanted to see the Northman in the theater but what did I see when I had my chance? Doctor Strange because I figured if I only saw one in a theater that one would benefit the most from the experience.
Yep, I tend to only go to the movies now if it's a film that lends itself to being seen on the big screen, which for me means a visual spectacle. Perhaps The Northman is a visual feast as well, but I'm also not rushing to see it right away so I can avoid spoilers, as is the case with certain comic book films. There are plenty of original/non-franchise films being made today, but they just don't draw the same numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
We are in the zone where TV is king, especially mini series.
Agreed, the golden age of television has been ramping up since The Sopranos burst onto the scene 20 years ago, and the amount of quality content has exploded with the advent of streaming, to the point that we don't have even have time to watch everything that we're interested in. I'm sure this affects the film industry in deciding what to make in order to entice people away from their numerous home entertainment options. Even video games have become so sophisticated that the writing, world-building, and music of many games are on par with the best of film and TV.
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:34 PM   #14
MegatronG1
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
And we all are part of the problem and there's no way around it.
I mean, you can check out of pop culture (a luxury on top of other luxuries) entirely, very easily. People give their attention too freely to too many senseless things, and put up with increasingly bad manmade works, these days. For the industry, things don't need to improve when they can milk 80s nostalgia for another 50 years.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:10 PM   #15
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegatronG1 View Post
I mean, you can check out of pop culture (a luxury on top of other luxuries) entirely, very easily. People give their attention too freely to too many senseless things, and put up with increasingly bad manmade works, these days. For the industry, things don't need to improve when they can milk 80s nostalgia for another 50 years.
For sure but most of us lack the will power.
Curiosity cashes a LOTTA paychecks.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:40 PM   #16
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
IMO movies keep getting worse and worse. There are three things that contribute to this:

1. Too many remakes/re-imagines

2. Movies/shows are made with the intent of making a statement and not with the intent of making a good story.

3. When we continually make excuses for bad or even mediocre shows we encourage them to make even more of it and it will continue to be that way until we stop watching stuff just to be watching something.
Maybe some folks think the opposite though.

Maybe I'm wrong about some of this maybe I'm wrong about all of this?
Totally disagree, because many movies have had agendas since Soviet montage during the silent era.

There have always been remakes and adaptations of well known stories.

The masses have always favored mediocre movies at the box office.

There are good movies being made, you're just not looking hard enough for them.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 01:57 PM   #17
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Here's a video I was just listening to that explains this perfectly and hits on all of the points you are making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngqO9Hp19_4
Yeah, I think I agree with this fella. Is that his actual voice or his he hamming up the accent a bit?
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 02:02 PM   #18
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman View Post
I think a lot of the reason why movies are not as good as they could be is that, especially in the big blockbusters (MCU, DCEU, Star Wars, etc), they tend to start with "wouldn't it be cool to do "X", "Y" and "Z" in this movie? We'll just figure out the rest of the story along the way". So many of these movies have these epic battle scenes that are cool, but the connective story in between is rife with coincidences and flat out dumb ways to get from set piece to set piece. No one steps back and says, "that doesn't make sense. We need to re-think this". It seems that story and character development take a far back seat to SFX and inappropriately timed jokes. It's getting really old. Just tell a good story please.
Agreed and even if it?s mildly successful many other movies will copy this. How many more heroes fighting heroes movies do we need? Or hero satires or the goofball ?funny? heroes?
Old 09-30-2022, 11:01 AM   #19
Mister H
Gen 13

https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies...e-suggestions/

Here is something that I think a lot of people will agree with. Even if you are an apologist for the MCU you have to agree that they are nowhere near what they were. I see quite a bit of film making follow this path. Cheap and lazy.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:24 PM   #20
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies...e-suggestions/

Here is something that I think a lot of people will agree with. Even if you are an apologist for the MCU you have to agree that they are nowhere near what they were. I see quite a bit of film making follow this path. Cheap and lazy.
I think it has become too much.

During phase 1 get a new movie once a year, then it shifted to 2 a year, now 3 a year and then the shows. It sort of smooths it out and removes the event feeling.

For example, if next year all we were getting was "Ant-Man 3" as a movie and "Secret Invasion" as the show I'd probably be really pumped as anticipation builds. As is I now tend to rank shows and movies more and debate "cinema or wait and stream" or "watch every week or maybe binge catch up someday".

I agree you put this much workload on writers, directors (and those poor FX people!) and it is hard to imagine the quality not taking a hit somehow.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote