Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 12-13-2007, 08:17 AM   #1
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Arrow PS3 selling like hot cakes in Europe.

I have noticed at the local Virgin that they were selling the PS3 in big numbers. Everyone seemed to have one under their arms. Lots of happy kids at Christmas no doubt. Then i came across this article. Looks like they are selling almost 1 million units between Europe and Japan a month. Those are some pretty impressive numbers.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/840/840830p1.html

Quote:
PlayStation 3 Sales Improving
Stringer notes flourishing European numbers.
by Ryan Clements
December 11, 2007 - Gamedaily posted an article today regarding some rather good news for Sony. According to Sony Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Howard Stringer, the PS3 is now selling 200,000 consoles per week in Europe. He also notes that the system is selling 40,000 to 50,000 units per week in Japan.

Sony eventually hopes to tie in other Sony Entertainment elements to the PSN by introducing a video store sometime in the future. This will take advantage of Sony's own film studio, but will -- as Stringer notes -- be open to outsider content. These upcoming features, along with the impressive European sales, bode quite well for Sony and its products.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Sweet? It's the same thing here...except replace the name PS3 with the Wii. I walked into a store where people had been waiting all morning in the hopes of getting a Wii. Most of whom walked out empty handed.

It's weird how different parts of the world have such varied results in terms of console sales. You can't find an Elite 360 in my town, but there's plenty of PS3s and in Europe it's probably the opposite. In Japan, I can understand..they hate western products, but in Europe it's strange to me. Oh well. This console war will get very interesting in '08.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Sgt Taz
Doom Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
You can't find an Elite 360 in my town, but there's plenty of PS3s and in Europe it's probably the opposite.
My friend just upgraded from a regular to an Elite 360. He did about a week finding one.
Sgt Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
cougartrace
I like !%&!%&!%&!%&

PS3's aren't selling as well in the US. But, I did read was that PS3's are not outselling the Wii in Japan which is a supposedly sign that the PS3 will regain it's dominance.
cougartrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
Sgt Taz
Doom Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougartrace View Post
PS3's are not outselling the Wii in Japan which is a supposedly sign that the PS3 will regain it's dominance.
PS3 not outselling the Wii is a sign PS3 will regain it's dominance? Who's reading these signs anyway, Stevie Wonder?
Sgt Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #6
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Wii is a short term life span. PS3 is the future Shouldn't you be playing your Xbox.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:27 PM   #7
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

i went into the IHOP the other day and order a ps3 with a side of bacon and eggs. i put boysenberry syrup on it. it was yummy. i dont not know it was a european thing though
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
bat_collector
Galactus

I want a wii!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Taz View Post
PS3 not outselling the Wii is a sign PS3 will regain it's dominance? Who's reading these signs anyway, Stevie Wonder?
Not sure if you're just being sarcastic or not, but I think he meant to say "now". It was only a matter of time. The Wii's a neat gimmick and all, but the games have been crap for the most part (except for first party games) I'm a lazy gamer. Most people are I'd imagine. I don't like having to use muscles to play games LOL. Even if it's just a little. It's really hard for me at least to not prefer the old fashion way.

I don't know if Bulls is right or not, but signs do seem to point in that direction. Publishers aren't too happy with the poor software sales on the Wii. People are buying the system out of curiosity and then collecting dust with it. Even awesome games like Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime are experiencing slow sales. It looks like once people have the system, they're satisfied and then they move on to the 360 and PS3 games. Great for Nintendo, but bad for everyone else. Not a good formula for a long life cycle.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #10
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Don't get me wrong. I have always liked Nintendo so its great to see them make lots of money on the Wii. I just think they will need to come up with something new in a couple of years.