Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 05-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
Juggernaut
The Falcon

30 Megabyte VS 15 Megabyte

I play alot of Gears of War 2 online.

I live home with my mom and she got this new deal wich will save money the and my mom want to save money. It's her home so I don't have much to say in taht department. I can't wait to get my own apartment!

anyway the catch to this deal is that the internet will go from 30 upload and download to 15 upload and download.

Will going from 30 to 15 have any effect when playing online?

Especialy when playing Gears of War 2?
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
Andrew
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
Adamantium Plus Member

Probably, bro. You've just had your internet speed cut in half. When playing online, you'll have to make sure nothing else is using your Internet connection other than your 360.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Juggernaut
The Falcon

The computer is always off when I'm playing online.

I thought so myself that cutting the connection in half would have an impact.

But maybe it would work on 15 and the 30 was overkill? I doubt it. So I had to ask.

I hate when a game lacks.

It's a realy lousy deal the seller gave my mom.
He could only make it cheaper by cutting my internet in half. What kind of deal is that! Anyway I'm waiting a call from the seller and ask if there is some kind of new price to agree on with better internet.

Thanks for posting.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Im on comcast blast, Downloads up to 20 Mbps, uploads up to 4 Mbps.

I can play online games like WoW and console games like street fighter just fine. While downloading a movie or two.

15 is the norm and unless you are running a PC with top of the line graphics, every filter turned on etc... i doubt you will run into major issues. Unless two people are playing online in the household, wont be that much of a difference. Even if someone is browsing the net while you are playing it should be fine.

Just would be wise to have a good router with a gigabite boost on it like this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127215

and make sure your playing with a hardwire to the PC and not wireless.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
Im on comcast blast, Downloads up to 20 Mbps, uploads up to 4 Mbps.

I can play online games like WoW and console games like street fighter just fine. While downloading a movie or two.

15 is the norm and unless you are running a PC with top of the line graphics, every filter turned on etc... i doubt you will run into major issues. Unless two people are playing online in the household, wont be that much of a difference. Even if someone is browsing the net while you are playing it should be fine.

Just would be wise to have a good router with a gigabite boost on it like this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127215

and make sure your playing with a hardwire to the PC and not wireless.
A good wireless router will handle 15 Mbps with no problem especially if there is a short distance between your router and X360.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Juggernaut
The Falcon

Thanks for the info John and Keith.

I'm not wireless. Everything is conneted with wires.

The router is one I borrowed from my uncle so the router could probably need and upgrade.

There's only me playing in the household.

Although when I'm in my room playing and my mom's using her PC in the living room then our shared internet connetion does fall out and I lose my connetion and that's not good when playing online at all. And that's with a 30/30 connetion.

It may be the router's fault. But if it's not the router I know I'm just gonna hate that 15/15 connetion.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
A good wireless router will handle 15 Mbps with no problem especially if there is a short distance between your router and X360.

Thats true, but i hate the drop outs and lags when playing online with wireless. I always like my consoles and macs hard wired for games. If im just roaming the net wireless is fine on my macbook pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
It may be the router's fault. But if it's not the router I know I'm just gonna hate that 15/15 connetion.
Sounds like the router when i was living with my brother we had a old lynksys router. We had tons of lag when we were both online playing games, and we ended up restarting the router every half hour. So we got one of those dlink routers and things were fine with us both playing games like WoW or me on PS3 and my brother playing CoD on his PC.

Should invest into one of those Dlink wireless, they have 4 ports in the back of them for hard wire items and can set them up with a password for wireless. Something you will want to have when you get your own apartment. Just keep a eye on them for sales, when i got mine it was like $100. lately with sales i seen them as low as $60.

Also another thing you may want to think about is buying your own modem. I got this one

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB612...6502420&sr=8-3

so now i am ready for the 3.0 DOCSIS when it hits comcast in my area and i dont need to rent one from comcast. So this is also a good investment for your own apartment.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
Thanks for the info John and Keith.

I'm not wireless. Everything is conneted with wires.

The router is one I borrowed from my uncle so the router could probably need and upgrade.

There's only me playing in the household.

Although when I'm in my room playing and my mom's using her PC in the living room then our shared internet connetion does fall out and I lose my connetion and that's not good when playing online at all. And that's with a 30/30 connetion.

If it's an older router it's probably only running at 10 MBps. If you go to "control panel/system/hardware tab/device manager" and look for your network card. Select it and right click for properties. There you can look at the speed of your network card you should be able to determine if 100 MBps is an option. It might be set to auto detect, but if you select the down arrow you should be able to see if 100 MBPS is an option. Depending on the router you may also have to configure it to run at 100 MBps. That might solve your dropout issues.

Last edited by nbr3bagshotrow; 05-27-2011 at 09:37 AM.
nbr3bagshotrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
Juggernaut
The Falcon

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
Juggernaut
The Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
If it's an older router it's probably only running at 10 MBps. If you go to "control panel/system/hardware tab/device manager" and look for your network card. Select it and right click for properties. There you can look at the speed of your network card you should be able to determine if 100 MBps is an option. It might be set to auto detect, but if you select the down arrow you should be able to see if 100 MBPS is an option. Depending on the router you may also have to configure it to run at 100 MBps. That might solve your dropout issues.
BTW. If it is running at 10MBps it does not matter if I do have the 30/30 connetion does it?

It just means that only 10 of those comes through and the rest goes to waste, is this correctly understood?

If it is running