Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-14-2023, 11:44 AM   #171
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I never read a lot of the Kirby new gods stuff but I’m curious how John Byrne’s fourth world would be. I believe in the late 90s or maybe early 2000s he did that crossover miniseries for DC but I forget the name of it that tied into the hole run on fourth world I believe but I don’t recall it being really good or having much of a point.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 12:04 PM   #172
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I really like Fourth World thanks to Superman TAS. I read Jack Kirby's original run so far, it was ok, big ideas, but the execution was kind of lacking, really liked Kirby's stylistic dynamic art though.

I saw the Fourth World by Byrne Omnibus on IST a couple of weeks ago. It said a never before collected material on Fourth World and that was enough, i was all over it. lol
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 12:17 PM   #173
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Kirby’s Fourth World was a tough slog for me. As you said, big ideas and great characters but this series showed me when I was a kid, even before his mediocre return to Captain America afterward, that while Kirby’s story ideas, plotting and (of course) art was mind-blowingly great, his scripting/writing just wasn’t nearly at the same level. Even though he fought against this, he really needed great scripters and editors, like Joe Simon and Stan Lee, to give his stories the dialogue and narrative voice needed to make them successful.

Edit - I will add, though, that his Kamandi run was pure good, at least as I remember it. It seemed to be the series’s where Kirby best fired on all cylinders, even as a scripter.

Last edited by wktf; 04-14-2023 at 12:26 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 03:19 PM   #174
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Kirby?s Fourth World was a tough slog for me. As you said, big ideas and great characters but this series showed me when I was a kid, even before his mediocre return to Captain America afterward, that while Kirby?s story ideas, plotting and (of course) art was mind-blowingly great, his scripting/writing just wasn?t nearly at the same level. Even though he fought against this, he really needed great scripters and editors, like Joe Simon and Stan Lee, to give his stories the dialogue and narrative voice needed to make them successful.

Edit - I will add, though, that his Kamandi run was pure good, at least as I remember it. It seemed to be the series?s where Kirby best fired on all cylinders, even as a scripter.
A long while back I picked up both the odd smallish 3 volume Fourth World Omnibus & the Kamandi collections. Couldn't agree more with you Joe. The writing on 4th world bogs down. Tons of cool concepts like giant wooden vehicles & huge forest cities, but it just sort of fizzles for me. But .... Kamandi! Love every page. Even though Kirby was obviously & heavily by POTA, I could care less. Ruined Earth and tribal intelligent animals surrounding a kid who was raised in a bomb shelter was just so cool. I even have the original run now too.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 05:08 AM   #175
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Latest Haul. (:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d64a0c97-0292-4552-a471-e2526ca979f0.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	161408  
Old 04-27-2023, 09:29 AM   #176
mmk123

I never read Grant Morrison‘s doom patrol, but I always wanted to and I did thoroughly enjoy Batgirl of Burnside. I definitely think that the creators who took over after Gail Simone left did a very good job though I stopped reading the Batgirl comic after it was canceled and then brought back under Rebirth
Old 04-27-2023, 09:42 AM   #177
jeremydmc
Black Panther

You are going to love Doom Patrol....well I did at least. LOL
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 10:09 AM   #178
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
I never read Grant Morrison?s doom patrol, but I always wanted to and I did thoroughly enjoy Batgirl of Burnside. I definitely think that the creators who took over after Gail Simone left did a very good job though I stopped reading the Batgirl comic after it was canceled and then brought back under Rebirth
I read some of Gail Simone's Batgirl run and didn't like it. She tried to write a grim and gritty book with Barbara... Barbara is a light hearted character in nature. It felt so forced, well, Barbara is not one of my favorite characters anyway and my favorite Batgirl is Cassandra Cain, she is such a grim and gritty character like Batman. She has exactly the same personalty as Batman. She is a no nonsence character who is all about the mission. Gail's run was kind of hard to read as well btw.

Batgirl of Burnside looks like a Barbara book now. All colorful and light hearted... Not something, i want in bat book, but eh... what are you going to do. lol I learned to stop complaning when Bat Books are not street level and grim and gritty to my liking and just learned to roll with it. lol I praise it to no end when i get what i want like Gotham Central and stuff though. Other times, i just stay silent and sometimes some of the light hearted stuff can be even fun like some Nightwing books etc. I hope to enjoy Batgirl of Burnside as well.
Old 04-27-2023, 10:10 AM   #179
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
You are going to love Doom Patrol....well I did at least. LOL
Well, i hope so. I certainly don't read any book to hate them. lol I only hate one book so far anyway and that is Identity Crisis... I just want to say everyone whoever read this message, if you like Identity Crisis, just don't talk to me, i don't want insensitive people without a trace of humanity in my life, just ---- off.
Old 04-27-2023, 11:41 AM   #180
mmk123

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
I read some of Gail Simone's Batgirl run and didn't like it. She tried to write a grim and gritty book with Barbara... Barbara is a light hearted character in nature. It felt so forced, well, Barbara is not one of my favorite characters anyway and my favorite Batgirl is Cassandra Cain, she is such a grim and gritty character like Batman. She has exactly the same personalty as Batman. She is a no nonsence character who is all about the mission. Gail's run was kind of hard to read as well btw.

Batgirl of Burnside looks like a Barbara book now. All colorful and light hearted... Not something, i want in bat book, but eh... what are you going to do. lol I learned to stop complaning when Bat Books are not street level and grim and gritty to my liking and just learned to roll with it. lol I praise it to no end when i get what i want like Gotham Central and stuff though. Other times, i just stay silent and sometimes some of the light hearted stuff can be even fun like some Nightwing books etc. I hope to enjoy Batgirl of Burnside as well.
I can definitely see where you would?ve thought. The Gail Simone run was a little bit too grim and gritty and I do think that Batgirl of Burnside did bring a little bit more lightheartedness to the character, but there were some serious story lines and that as well, so there was a good balance.