Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Just The Facts... > Collection Corner

Old 02-20-2023, 03:02 PM   #481
veryfigurefans
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
I knew the characters from the "Max and Moritz" series straight away. They look like they're from the book
Ha ha Thank you very much.
veryfigurefans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:55 AM   #482
batmbeyond
The Spirit

Wow, your collection is growing. all the new additions are fantastic! Impressive vinyl collection you got, congrats! I had a nice collection back in the day, lost it on a move due to the Texas heat and crappy apartment management that didnt have my apartment ready, they basically warped and melted in the car waiting to get the keys.
batmbeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:00 AM   #483
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmbeyond View Post
Wow, your collection is growing. all the new additions are fantastic! Impressive vinyl collection you got, congrats! I had a nice collection back in the day, lost it on a move due to the Texas heat and crappy apartment management that didnt have my apartment ready, they basically warped and melted in the car waiting to get the keys.
Ugh, I couldn't imagine!!!!

A friend of mine at work had a nice collection but no turntable for years. I kept trying to talk him into selling some or all to me. He went out of town for a week and his wife decided to "de-clutter" and put his vinyl collection as well as some other things in the attic. Here in Oklahoma the heat is just as bad as Texas. They were up there in the middle of summer for several days before he found out. They were almost puddles of vinyl.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 02:59 PM   #484
veryfigurefans

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmbeyond View Post
I am happy to see you again. Thank you very much for your comment. I continue the collection through the system and project that I have determined according to my own imagination. Yes, I see it getting bigger every day, but my room is getting smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
Ugh, I couldn't imagine!!!!

A friend of mine at work had a nice collection but no turntable for years. I kept trying to talk him into selling some or all to me. He went out of town for a week and his wife decided to "de-clutter" and put his vinyl collection as well as some other things in the attic. Here in Oklahoma the heat is just as bad as Texas. They were up there in the middle of summer for several days before he found out. They were almost puddles of vinyl.
It's really sad what both of you said. I've seen a few times that the records have become unusable in this way. I saw that most of the 45 rpm records were warped and melted due to the record players used for cars. In fact, one day, while selling at a stand, the 33-rpm record was almost warped because it saw the sun for a very short time. Also, when purchasing some second hand records, I saw a lot of valuable records that were bent because they were stacked on top of each other instead of displaying them upright.
Old 02-22-2023, 03:08 PM   #485
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryfigurefans View Post
Also, when purchasing some second hand records, I saw a lot of valuable records that were bent because they were stacked on top of each other instead of displaying them upright.
My niece got into vinyl a few years back. I educated her to the best of my knowledge about taking care of them, cleaning, stylus care, storing, including NEVER STACKING them flat.

I went to her new house last year and in a pile stacked flat on the floor of a closet was all of her vinyl with a heavy brass decorative piece on top of it all. It had been there for several months. I had bought her some early edition Beatles records since she is a huge Beatles fan. The ones I bought her and most of the ones she had bought herself over the last few years were ruined. Only a couple were salvageable.

I even bought her a couple record crates for her to store them in to keep them in good shape and upright. She used the crates for moving other things to her new house instead, and then her husband used the crates to store tools in the garage. I was speechless.
Old 02-22-2023, 03:39 PM   #486
veryfigurefans

Quote:
My niece got into vinyl a few years back. I educated her to the best of my knowledge about taking care of them, cleaning, stylus care, storing, including NEVER STACKING them flat.

I went to her new house last year and in a pile stacked flat on the floor of a closet was all of her vinyl with a heavy brass decorative piece on top of it all. It had been there for several months. I had bought her some early edition Beatles records since she is a huge Beatles fan. The ones I bought her and most of the ones she had bought herself over the last few years were ruined. Only a couple were salvageable.

I even bought her a couple record crates for her to store them in to keep them in good shape and upright. She used the crates for moving other things to her new house instead, and then her husband used the crates to store tools in the garage. I was speechless.
Big bad luck. The vinyl records are really delicate. I think some records produced in the 1970s were produced in grams less than 180 grams. Most records are very light and can warp right away.

It's amazing that you value music and help people around you.

There are only some methods of recovering plaques. You are quite experienced in the field of records, i guess you must know. Some warped records can be repaired with various methods.
Old 02-22-2023, 03:46 PM   #487
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Quote:
There are only some methods of recovering plaques. You are quite experienced in the field of records, i guess you must know. Some warped records can be repaired with various methods.
Several of the ones she had stacked were cracked or outright broken. I salvaged what I could.

She actually asked to borrow some of my records a while after that because I had my own copies of hers that were un-repairable or unplayable. I almost laughed out loud....but I held it together and politely said no. LOL
Old 02-22-2023, 04:00 PM   #488
veryfigurefans

Quote:
Several of the ones she had stacked were cracked or outright broken. I salvaged what I could.

She actually asked to borrow some of my records a while after that because I had my own copies of hers that were un-repairable or unplayable. I almost laughed out loud....but I held it together and politely said no. LOL
I understand what you mean.

It's almost impossible to salvage if it's broken or cracked. You are right.

I have a bad memory of this situation. One day I bought a 45 rpm record for my mother from the flea market. I wanted to come home excitedly and listen to it on my turntable. Unfortunately, the record had cracked very thinly and broke the crystal at the tip of my needle.

Especially when looking at 45 rpm records, I always carefully check them with my hand and buy them.
Old 02-22-2023, 04:16 PM   #489
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Quote:
I understand what you mean.

It's almost impossible to salvage if it's broken or cracked. You are right.

I have a bad memory of this situation. One day I bought a 45 rpm record for my mother from the flea market. I wanted to come home excitedly and listen to it on my turntable. Unfortunately, the record had cracked very thinly and broke the crystal at the tip of my needle.

Especially when looking at 45 rpm records, I always carefully check them with my hand and buy them.
Always a good idea to inspect them thoroughly. I drive my girlfriend crazy at the record store sometimes. I take longer to inspect a record than to find them. LOL
Old 02-22-2023, 04:34 PM   #490
veryfigurefans

Quote:
Always a good idea to inspect them thoroughly. I drive my girlfriend crazy at the record store sometimes. I take longer to inspect a record than to find them. LOL
Haha you are so right. It takes a lot of time to spend in record stores or flea markets. The excitement of both examining the conditions of the records and finding the records of the singers we are looking for causes this.

Sometimes, even if I go to the same record store, it feels like it's the first time. I can look at the same records again, maybe you feel the same way.

Currently, I continue my records inventory by taking photos one by one. I think there are those who use the discogs site for collection. Do you have a collection there?