Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 05-25-2015, 07:05 PM   #1161
gorocketcat
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthos View Post
I may be in the minority but I don't fault Disney one bit for this, it's a move to put pressure on fox to give back the movie rights. If at the end of all this it helps them do that, good.
Indeed.

Why should Disney help popularize a character they don't 100% own? And, definitely, want to get back some day.

Sony played ball. Fox should as well.
gorocketcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:24 PM   #1162
Scribe
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Magneto came out and Phoenix is coming out. This seems less like a movie rights issue than XM does not have a license to sell its product in the US and because of that these are getting scalped like crazy. Magnetos are going for what? $3000-$6000 when retail is less than $1000?

I think Marvel, Disney, and XM would rather have that money than giving it to scalpers and Simply Toys.

You don't think a ton of these would end up in the U.S. even though XM does not have the license to sell here?
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:26 PM   #1163
Thor57
Teen Titans

Except for the fact that the Disney/Fox feud extends past XM's statues and has been fairly documented in other mediums.

Magneto and Phoenix still came out because they were developed and pushed ahead while Disney and Fox were talking. Apparently at some point those talks broke down and further mutants were given the axe.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #1164
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor57 View Post
Except for the fact that the Disney/Fox feud extends past XM's statues and has been fairly documented in other mediums.

Magneto and Phoenix still came out because they were developed and pushed ahead while Disney and Fox were talking. Apparently at some point those talks broke down and further mutants were given the axe.
This could be true, but we don't have proof or confirmation. Just a theory people are running with because it seems plausible. We don't know what is and isn't true.

Koto just released that new Cyclops Artfx+ and the DRS Brown Wolverine and DRS Rogue is on the way, too, but Koto has a license to sell in the US.

The market was never that flooded with FF merch because they just aren't as popular.

I bet by Comic Con we will know more.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #1165
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Magneto came out and Phoenix is coming out. This seems less like a movie rights issue than XM does not have a license to sell its product in the US and because of that these are getting scalped like crazy. Magnetos are going for what? $3000-$6000 when retail is less than $1000?

I think Marvel, Disney, and XM would rather have that money than giving it to scalpers and Simply Toys.

You don't think a ton of these would end up in the U.S. even though XM does not have the license to sell here?
XM has just lost a crap load of money here. I don't think they are a part in any grand conspiracey.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:57 PM   #1166
kevin2323
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post
XM has just lost a crap load of money here. I don't think they are a part in any grand conspiracey.
exactly. lol
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:17 PM   #1167
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor57 View Post
It makes zero sense to you and most here because we grew up on these characters. Even if I wanted to, I couldnt forget Wolverine. I cant even forget the BAD X-Men like Maggot!

Its not us they are targeting. Its the kids growing up now. You have to remember, this is a long game for Disney, and they have the money, and patience to back it up. It isnt just Premium format, high end collectibles Disney is going to play this with. Their stance is pretty much this. Fox, if you want to continue to make X-Men and FF4 movies, thats your call. We arent going to support it. You cant make comics, we own that, and we're shutting it down (FF4) or severely neutering its connection to us (rumored X-Men being is own universe after Secret Wars). Toys, costumes, collectibles? You fund them.

Ever since Disney bought Marvel they've been giving the X-Men and FF4 property free advertising, and Disney decided to put a stop to it. No matter how much we enjoy it, it is what it is. Thats the nature of the comic character world now. It revolves around the movies. I'd wager to be that the combined revenue of comics, premium format statues and low end toys for 5, 10 years doesnt equal the amount of money the Avengers brought in in 1 year.
You explained it plain and simple. Good job.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #1168
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post
They didn't lose it, the statues are delayed, not canceled.

The Fox v. Disney might be a conspiracy, too. Disney could just say Fox is damaging its X-men brand and pull the license, but the X-men movies are still making money and they are probably going to end after Hugh Jackman quits the franchise in a couple years. You can't have a contract that goes on in perpetuity forever. They yanked back Spider-man as soon as Sony made a crappy movie.

Marvel would rather people talk about Marvel vs. Fox than Marvel vs. DC/WB.

Disney doesn't like the fans getting ripped off by scalpers on its characters. That's why Randy Bowen lost his license allegedly with his shady Rocky's Vault crap scalping his own product with warehouses of endless APs.

Again you could be right, but there is not really proof either way yet. Sideshow and Koto did not make similar announcements today, did they? They have a license to sell in the US. It could be that.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:24 PM   #1169
Thor57
Teen Titans

Quote:
This could be true, but we don't have proof or confirmation. Just a theory people are running with because it seems plausible. We don't know what is and isn't true.

Koto just released that new Cyclops Artfx+ and the DRS Brown Wolverine and DRS Rogue is on the way, too, but Koto has a license to sell in the US.

The market was never that flooded with FF merch because they just aren't as popular.

I bet by Comic Con we will know more.
You're comparing a company that just came on the scene a year ago and entered while Disney was in negotiations. XM made it known from the start their license was limited. Koto and Sideshow have had their Marvel licenses for years. Possible breaches of contract could come fourth if Disney got to fancy with existing contracts.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #1170
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
They didn't lose it, the statues are delayed, not canceled.

The Fox v. Disney might be a conspiracy, too. Disney could just say Fox is damaging its X-men brand and pull the license, but the X-men movies are still making money and they are probably going to end after Hugh Jackman quits the franchise in a couple years. You can't have a contract that goes on in perpetuity forever. They yanked back Spider-man as soon as Sony made a crappy movie.

Marvel would rather people talk about Marvel vs. Fox than Marvel vs. DC/WB.

Disney doesn't like the fans getting ripped off by scalpers on its characters. That's why Randy Bowen lost his license allegedly with his shady Rocky's Vault crap scalping his own product with warehouses of endless APs.

Again you could be right, but there is not really proof either way yet. Sideshow and Koto did not make similar announcements today, did they? They have a license to sell in the US. It could be that.
Ummmm.... XM has SO much money in these pieces, and they were the majority of their upcoming pieces. Now they are on hold and all of the money that went in to preproduction... Paying thE sculptors, printing prototypes... All that money is already all in, and they aren't making anything back off that investment right now. That is a HUGE hit.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote