Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 12-19-2016, 12:20 AM   #1
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Cool Batman a Telltale Series Review

Alright, so I played through the last episode of Batman a Telltale Series this weekend. I'm going to try and not mention any plot points just so if any wants to play they can without any giveaways but I felt the need to write a short review. So please if you want to comment use spoiler tags if you're going to reveal plot points.

Plot/Story - Okay let's get this out of the way. This is what Telltale games are supposed to be about. Their action is basically glorified Quick Time events so there's nothing "exemplary" about that. However, they are supposed to bring characterization and story to the forefront, and I think this game fails at miserably. It seems like Tell Tale thought that to make the story relevant, they had to change the characters to fit their plot. So much so that some characters are honestly unrecognizable except in name and barely visually.

Normally change can be a good thing but here it kind of reduces the Batman mythos to a Soap Opera with costumes instead of a crime thriller/ action adventure. The investigative measures are simple and sometimes so rudimentary that it's probably the most bring thing you do in the game. What shines in games like Witcher and the Arkham series, here is basically a novelty.

The story itself probably could have been unique but the problems with characterization and the changes made for the sake of changes just over shadows what could have been of the concept.

Score - 5/10

Action - Well like I said it's quick time events. A button hit or thumbstick move at the prompts and it's pretty much over.

Score - 3/10

Graphics - I will say this game was a little more "pretty" than other Telltale games but if you're looking for wow factor, you won't find it here. I will also say that for games that have a "comic look" to them some of the designs were odd choices for the characters. So much so that they really didn't come close to what you might think of for certain Batman related characters.

Score- 6/10

Verdict
- I'd only buy this game if you have a real itch to play a Batman game or are just a huge Batman nut, and even then only on sale. It's problems far outweigh it's enjoyment.

Overall Score
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
Y3E
Gen 13

Thanks for the great write up, Josh. I was interested in getting this and have not played any Telltale games. I will wait now for a $2 for $20 sale.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #3
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Thanks for the great write up, Josh. I was interested in getting this and have not played any Telltale games. I will wait now for a $2 for $20 sale.
Glad to help, especially when it comes to plopping down money for these, play for value is important.

Also, I forgot to add total play through time on this game is 8 to 10 hours. So its very short. Another reason to get on sale.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:03 AM   #4
Swordsman
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Glad to help, especially when it comes to plopping down money for these, play for value is important.

Also, I forgot to add total play through time on this game is 8 to 10 hours. So its very short. Another reason to get on sale.
still waiting for sale.
Swordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
Vracula
Jedi Order

I loved the game.But then again I am a Batman nut that consumes everything Batman. I thought the story was amazing.I preety much treated it like an animated movie. In saying that however, if u are curious ,wait for a sale.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:18 AM   #6
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
I loved the game.But then again I am a Batman nut that consumes everything Batman. I thought the story was amazing.I preety much treated it like an animated movie. In saying that however, if u are curious ,wait for a sale.
Thats why I got it when it came out. However, as you can probably tell, I didn't enjoy it very much at all.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Just bought the seasons pass for this game this morning - it's 50% off if anyone was waiting for a deal.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #8
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
Just bought the seasons pass for this game this morning - it's 50% off if anyone was waiting for a deal.
At about $12.50USD that's pretty good.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:52 AM   #9
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Thats why I got it when it came out. However, as you can probably tell, I didn't enjoy it very much at all.
I think it started of really well with the intrigue , I hated they forced you to sleep with...
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote