Old 03-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #11
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SHOGUN View Post
Do you think the hobby is dying?

Has the "bubble" begun to burst?

Why so? Why not?
I think a bubble is going to burst for sure.
It's all just too much.

The only salvation for this industry will be increased automation for production.

If someone can get paint more templated like the masks that are currently used for PVC pieces then it will flourish. The price of labor is killing any industry.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:52 PM   #12
SONICobra
Batman

dying? no

changing? absolutely
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:06 PM   #13
azurepred
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
In terms of higher end statues, I think it has a while left, most of us on here are presumably still able to afford these things, all be it I've completely cut out all impulse purchases and even buy a lot less from my favorite licenses. But some of the prices we've seen lately have been fairly shocking, the star wars/Deadpool PF's and the Wolf Predator LSB etc. Even in a hobby for which we've been accustomed to high prices. I fear if they don't get the pricing under control soon, it probably won't be long. Another factor is the sheer amount of competition now, we're spoiled for choice with incredible companies like Prime 1 and ECC on the scene. You'd think this competition would have kept prices competitive, but it just hasn't. The real nail in the coffin is the shipping prices which have almost doubled in recent months, and of course some of us have to pay import duty which adds at least 20% of the total cost (including shipping) It's just all adding up too much.

It think we're quickly heading towards Sideshow having customers exclusively in the USA where the customer base can keep up for longer, the free US shipping for example aids this while stamping the nail in to the rest of us a little more while we already have the odds stacked against us. And the same for other companies in their respective regions. I hope things change for the better soon, or at least stabalise. The last year or so is the first time I've genuinely been worried about the hobby I've loved for the last 15 years or so.

All of that said, maybe the fact I (and apparently many other long term collectors) are finally on the verge of being priced out, doesn't reflect on the hobby as a whole. I'm sure there's a world of rich kids out there waiting to discover this game. Maybe the customer base is simply shifting rather than dying.
I try to sell only local now cause it's complete BS how much shipping has gone up on just a 1/4 statue. It's not like gas prices have shot up, so I don't really understand why shipping is so much now.

The only reason some of these companies have been so successful even with super high ES and crazy prices is because they keep getting more and more people entering this hobby who will spend like crazy for a couple years.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:44 PM   #14
Ricky Bobby
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

For international collectors,it is definitely dying
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:04 PM   #15
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

What's your guys opinion on the majority of statues from most companies being available for less than retail on the secondary market after they are sold out. I'm not buying these things to make money, but there has been a recent trend that in the past 3-5 years the majority of pieces don't hold or barely hold their original value. One can see this as the pieces just aren't that collectible, desirable or sought after as say the old Hulk PF that still kicks ass in the secondary market.

Remember the old PCS Ryu or Akuma statues those statues KILL in the secondary market. The new 1/4 Ryu which I think is a better statue of Ryu barely sells for retail. Is it a Golden Age thing?...like golden age comics the original are the gems, everything else no matter how well it's made are just the later less desirable versions?

A SMALL part of the fun of collecting (and I emphasize it as NOT a major reason of collecting) was your long sold out piece going for more than you originally paid. It seems 8.5/10 pieces released these days this is NOT a factor. Would you guys say today's pieces just aren't as sought after as pieces from years ago? Is it oversaturation? Is it collectors these days just have bad taste? Is it there just isn't a booming secondary market?
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #16
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
For international collectors,it is definitely dying
Definately agree with you there. No doubt about it that this hobby is definitely dying for the international collector
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:16 PM   #17
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

When I think about the statue hobby, the word collectible comes to mind. When we look up the word collectible there is the adjective definition and the noun.

col·lect·i·ble
kəˈlektəb(ə)l/
adjective
(of an item) worth collecting; of interest to a collector.
able to be collected.
"a surplus collectible as rent by the landowner"
noun
an item valued and sought by collectors.

I think I'm answering my own question here but in the adjective sense of the word, the hobby is thriving and growing like never before as there are more products, more licenses, new companies making everything under the sun.

However the noun definition of collectible I feel the hobby is dying as the NEW statues and pieces aren't sought after and valued as highly as they once were in the Golden age of statue collecting.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #18
Finisher
Blue Falcon

I think, that (first) secondary market will die slowly. This in the way, that prices of the older statues will decrease with every new and better statue available. Then the average worker will recognize how bad his "investment" was and he will decrease buying new statues. This will then result into a deflation of new statues, and probably even into a bankruptcy of some producers .
Finisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:54 PM   #19
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finisher View Post
I think, that (first) secondary market will die slowly. This in the way, that prices of the older statues will decrease with every new and better statue available. Then the average worker will recognize how bad his "investment" was and he will decrease buying new statues. This will then result into a deflation of new statues, and probably even into a bankruptcy of some producers .
I completely agree with your analysis, spot on.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:57 PM   #20
chunkster702
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
I try to sell only local now cause it's complete BS how much shipping has gone up on just a 1/4 statue. It's not like gas prices have shot up, so I don't really understand why shipping is so much now.
Yeah its like $55-75 parcel for a large boxed 1/4 PF.

Pain in the butt to sell.
chunkster702 is offline   Reply With Quote