Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 10-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #1
Stalzer2002
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

My NYCC Haul

I'm back online following NYCC and watching my Mets kick some Dodger tail last night, and I wanted to share my haul.

This is the second in my series of Reaction Headshot Jams, meant to invoke old school covers in which floating heads reacted to the events of the cover.

This time, I started with Brendon and Brian Fraim doing the Flash racing the Silver Surfer past the Statue of Liberty. At the 2015 New York Comic Con, I added:

Howard the Duck by James Silvani
Hercules by Reilly Brown
Adam West Batman by Jonathan Case
Booster Gold by Kelly Yates

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1265120

I also picked up two pieces at the Art Auction:

A Superman pinup by Robert Atkins

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...?Piece=1265130

An OMAC page by Keith Giffen

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1265128

I picked up a couple of small pieces that I haven't had a chance to photograph yet. I'll post them when I do!
Stalzer2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
Mfinn123
Hydra

super nice and really love the Howard reaction -- nice
Mfinn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:28 AM   #3
rjs1162
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

You can't go wrong starting a jam piece with The Fraims! That OMAC page is pretty darn good too! Congrats!
rjs1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

cool headshot jam. what is your overall assessment of this years nycc?
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Nice haul
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:12 AM   #6
whd
Suicide Squad

Very cool! I like the OMAC page best out of these, if for nothing else it has Frankenstein in it! Congrats!
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
dchiscon
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Nice Pieces
dchiscon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #8
Magneto
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Great pick ups! Congrats!
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:03 PM   #9
Stalzer2002
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
cool headshot jam. what is your overall assessment of this years nycc?
It was good show. I was there Saturday and Sunday. I came into the New Hudson Yards Station a block from Javitz, which is probably the cleanest subway station I've ever seen...I give it two weeks before it looks like the rest of the system.

On Saturday I made a bee line for Artist's Alley as soon as the place opened. I was hoping to get Todd Nauck and Kevin Maguire to contribute to the jam. Unfortunately, Nauck was immediately booked and when I saw Maguire a couple of hours later, he didn't have time for sketching. Still, I'm really happy with the people I did get.

I got Bob McLeod to sign my copy of GI Joe 59, which was my first comic. I asked him if he had any pages left, but he didn't. I also spoke to Gary Erskine about pages from his Thunderbolts run inking Tom Grummett. He does have pages, but not with him, so I'll be contacting him soon.

Last year I started getting creators to sign a baseball. I figure that signed comics are great, but I usually just wind up filing them away with the rest of my books. This is something I can stick on a shelf or a table and makes for a nice conversation piece. Last year I got Chris Claremont, Peter David, Len Wein, and Gerry Conway. This year, I added Kevin Maguire, Fabian Nicieza, Walt Simonson, and Louise Simonson.

The Art Auction is the one thing I make sure I never miss. Mike Negin and company do a fantastic job. Their goal this year was $29,000. They passed it halfway through and wound up making $48,000! But best of all is how they have so many pieces, and most of them go for under $200, so it is VERY easy to walk away with something really nice.

But as much I love the art side of NYCC, I always come away feeling like I missed so much else. Part of it is my fault, honestly. I rarely make it to panels. Either I'm busy doing other things that I miss them entirely or I don't arrive early enough and the panel line is capped (seriously, who would have thought that an Economics of Star Trek panel would fill up that quickly?). But there are things they can do better too. The lines for the Main Stage Panels, Daily Sketch lists, Funko Exclusives, and Special Cast Signings all started at the same time. So going to more than one is impossible and going to any can be tough because if you miss out on your first choice, then you can easily miss out on them all.

But all in all, that's a minor thing. I love the show. I get to meet up with friends, make new ones, get some great art, and meet some of my favorite creators. There's always next year to plan better.
Stalzer2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #10
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

you are adventurous for starting off nycc on Saturday! sounds like a full and fun couple of days!
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote