Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-13-2015, 05:32 PM   #101
TSM_in_NY
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aric View Post

So is your issue the art...or the money?
In my opinion, Hughes, at best, asked for a premium price and, I think few would disagree, didn't deliver a premium product.

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.
TSM_in_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:34 PM   #102
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

its a nice piece which given how hard he is to get, at $400 its a great value. at $4k as others have stated i would have expected more.

the black cat he did at nycc is an example of a superb piece which i'm sure people would say is probably worth big bucks. same with the rocketeer piece he did that was posted recently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141011_163240.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	91397  
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:46 PM   #103
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

It was pretty clear these were going to be convention pieces. Done at his discretion. Done at the con. Sure the price is high but these folks went in with their eyes wife open.
Also has anyone heard that they're unhappy ?
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #104
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I don't have an agenda against Adam Hughes or Allison but i know a few here do. They have always been really nice any time I have talked with them at shows.

That being said, I don't feel these are anywhere near the quality that I have seen previously out of adam, especially at a 4k price tag.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:14 AM   #105
TSM_in_NY
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aric View Post
Sure the price is high but these folks went in with their eyes wife open.
I think Hughes' wife is a BIG part of the problem.

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.
TSM_in_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:12 AM   #106
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM_in_NY View Post
I think Hughes' wife is a BIG part of the problem.

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.
How so?
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #107
dchiscon
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I think we all have artist that we would pay a high price for. I know Joe Quesada charges 3k for commission pieces, and I would really think about paying that price if I know he would deliver an amazing piece of art.
dchiscon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #108
bnmauney
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchiscon View Post
I think we all have artist that we would pay a high price for. I know Joe Quesada charges 3k for commission pieces, and I would really think about paying that price if I know he would deliver an amazing piece of art.
I think you hit the nail right on the head there. Obviously, art is subjective, but I think that we all sometimes forget that the prices of art is also subjective. I, personally, wouldn't pay $4K for either of those AH pieces. I probably wouldn't pay $400. Hell, I wouldn't even pay that much if it was the OA for his CAPTAIN AMERICA #25 variant cover, which I really like. I'm just not *that* into his stuff.

However, on the other hand, if I had the money to drop $3K on a Quesada commission, as long as it was really high quality, I'd probably do it. He's been one of my favorites for years. Plus, I'd absolutely *love* to have one of his covers, especially featuring Cap, and given the right one, I'd probably pay a pretty penny for it.

Additionally, my perception of people does play a big part in what and how much I'm willing to pay for something. I feel lukewarm, at best, toward Adam and Allison, so even though I like most of his work, I wouldn't go out of my way to get something or pay a lot for it. Then, in the case of someone like Jeremy Haun, who's become a good friend, I've actually tried paying more than the asking price for certain things.

All that being said, I certainly don't fault anyone for liking someone more than I do or for being willing to pay more for something than I am. Besides, I'm constantly trying to weigh the "value" of my purchases. I don't like or have the cash to pay top dollar for art, but I recognize that the bigger the name and the higher the quality of the art, the more I'm going to have to pay. That's why I tend to stick to either more of the "middle-tier" or newer artists. It's not that I don't like or want any of the big name guys, I just don't want to have to pay the prices they command. If I had $1K to spend on commissions, I'd much rather get five $200 pieces as opposed to two $500 pieces or one $1K piece. I also much prefer full figures over busts or half-figures, so that weighs into my decisions, too.

Honestly, this is one of the reasons that I love this board so much. We can discuss these things and I can offer my opinion while still getting the opinions of you guys, even when they differ. I probably spend way more time thinking about these things than I should.
bnmauney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:23 PM   #109
CJ82
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

The pieces a quite nice, just not (imo) 4k nice. Rogue one isn't even full-body, no background...guess it goes to show what a name can do!
CJ82 is offline   Reply With Quote