Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-15-2015, 08:14 AM   #1
Doc McCoy
Mephisto

Unhappy Encroaching on your commission theme

I'm sure you guys have discussed this before, but it's the first time I've had it happen (actually it may be the second, Greg Land may have co-opted it for a cover). How do you feel when someone has a piece done with the same or similar theme that you've spent years cultivating? At this point I'm 38 pieces (with several more on the way) into my "Iron" Throne theme, so I've done the work to establish it.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=148043

Now someone else has come along and done a similar piece, using an artist that has already done one for me!
http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...35&GSub=137145

So do you feel flattered that someone thought enough of it to somewhat copy it? Upset that it happened? And while it isn't an exact copy since there's no Iron Man armor, should I feel that it's cheapening my own theme?

Especially since Chris Stevens already did it better (with no offense to Ramon).

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1214148

Doc McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:22 AM   #2
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

I saw that earlier. Personally I think its bogus if its a unique theme and the person that comnissioned it requested it. If for some chance the artist was inspired by your theme and drew it in homage without being requested to do so then I could see being flattered.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #3
Mfinn123
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
I saw that earlier. Personally I think its bogus if its a unique theme and the person that comnissioned it requested it. If for some chance the artist was inspired by your theme and drew it in homage without being requested to do so then I could see being flattered.

I agree that it is bogus. I'm no fan of people that want to have a ONE MINUTE LATER and actually put the tagline on their art. I've several hundred pieces with that name and built up lots of goodwill, so much so that Marvel editors let me know they loved the idea and were using it for a set of variant covers a few months back. It just bummed me out that someone else uses my exact theme and puts the One Minute Later tagline on their pieces..
Mfinn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
Doc McCoy
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
I'm not sure of the circumstances and can't blame Ramon for doing the work he was paid to do. However, I've developed a pretty unique theme and it's special to me and I can't help but feel let down.
Doc McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Unlike my theme, which is an iconic image (some would and have called it cliched), your theme is utterly unique, so I would NOT expect to see it copied in this way. I would be very unhappy about this especially if it was done by an artist who already did one for you. Not much you can do, but I would express to him in a non confrontational way that you're let down
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:05 AM   #6
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I'd take it with a grain of salt. Do you know if the other commissioner is familiar with your theme? GoT is HUGE these days -- even so much that Dave Grohl made a throne out of guitars so he can perform on tour (which was soooo awesome to see in person last week).

IF an artist was to do it on their own, would you be flattered? I kinda would and I would if it was my theme. However, I can see why upon initially finding out that you are annoyed by this as it's another collector.

Rest assured that your collection is much more badass.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:20 AM   #7
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I completely understand your perspective on this and I think I would be disappointed as well.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:23 AM   #8
MMBORNAGAIN
The Spirit

im confused...so the artist should turn down a job because a throne was in it? Not an Iron man throne but any kind of throne?So if I came up with an idea of him on a huge throne made of chimichangas that would be wrong too? I love your collection but just seeing how far we take our idea boundaries.
MMBORNAGAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #9
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I'd take it with a grain of salt. Do you know if the other commissioner is familiar with your theme? GoT is HUGE these days -- even so much that Dave Grohl made a throne out of guitars so he can perform on tour (which was soooo awesome to see in person last week).

IF an artist was to do it on their own, would you be flattered? I kinda would and I would if it was my theme. However, I can see why upon initially finding out that you are annoyed by this as it's another collector.

Rest assured that your collection is much more badass.
This is a very good point. I think it is entirely possible that this could have originated from a collector who without them being aware that they were encroaching. At least I hope that another collector wouldn’t see someone else’s theme and decide to do the same thing. If it were me and I later found out that another collector had the theme, I would offer to sell it to the theme originator and move along for something more unique. I would be more disappointed with the artist for not bringing it up to the commissioner (if he didn’t). It is a fine line between being bothered and flattered and it comes down to awareness and intention for me.

CAF
Old 07-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #10
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMBORNAGAIN View Post
im confused...so the artist should turn down a job because a throne was in it? Not an Iron man throne but any kind of throne?So if I came up with an idea of him on a huge throne made of chimichangas that would be wrong too? I love your collection but just seeing how far we take our idea boundaries.
Hmmmm, fair question. I didn’t even look closely at the other piece … if it doesn’t have the iron man armor I am not sure it is the same. Is it called the iron throne because of the guns? There have been many pieces of art done over the years with thrones (Doom, Thanos, Maestro, WWHulk) so I am curious as well … Doc, where do you feel most that he is encroaching? On the throne concept or the Iron throne title, or something different?

CAF