Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-24-2015, 12:12 AM   #1
Clea
Doh!

What to do when a charity sketch doesn't turn up?

Hey guys,

Mentioning no names at this point until I know for certain that this isn't a misunderstanding, but I'm looking for some advice re a cheap sketch never showing up.

Basically, back in May, I commissioned a quick/cheap ($30) sketch from an artist who was doing a FCBD deal where something like 25% of the proceeds went to charity. I paid straight away and all seemed well.

Sadly though, I never received my sketch. The artist has now shut down their Etsy shop, and has not replied to any of my (anonymous) Tumblr messages. I know this isn't a case of it being lost in the mail either, as my friend commissioned one on the same day and has also yet to receive their sketch. Thing is, because some of the money (presumably) went to charity, and the sketch was pretty cheap in the first place, I feel too embarrassed to really take the matter any further. But the artist continues to sell prints, take on commissions, talk about Kickstarters, participate in "Inktober" etc., and it kinda just ticks me off because they could take ten minutes out of their day to draw the sketch I paid for, but they for some reason refuse to :/

Now, as I've said, it was only around $30 lost so I should maybe just forget about it, but I wanted to hear the thoughts of people who are a little more experienced with this than I am! Thanks in advance.
Clea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:03 AM   #2
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Email every day. Find them on Twitter or FB.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:21 AM   #3
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

For 30 I'd write it off and out him.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:08 PM   #4
SpectatorGuy
Fantastic Four

I also never got a $20 charity sketch, I just wrote it off and will never deal with that artist.
I wonder if I should write off a kickstarter piece that I'm pretty sure is never coming as well
SpectatorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:19 PM   #5
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

I would at least name the artist. If not, he will most likely do it again at some point since it works this time.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:45 PM   #6
Mfinn123
Hydra

Do we think the artist gave the money to charity at all?
Mfinn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:40 AM   #7
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Agreed.

I am curious - what charity was the art for? I would go the route of publicly asking if the charity ever received the proceeds of the commission. If the artist is stiffing you, I would presume that he is keeping the funds all for himself (or likely not being transparent with the number of commissions, cost, etc which essentially would be that he is stiffing the charity and using them to line his pockets). Whatever you do, be as public as possible.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
BillC
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Agreed.

I am curious - what charity was the art for? I would go the route of publicly asking if the charity ever received the proceeds of the commission. If the artist is stiffing you, I would presume that he is keeping the funds all for himself (or likely not being transparent with the number of commissions, cost, etc which essentially would be that he is stiffing the charity and using them to line his pockets). Whatever you do, be as public as possible.
I agree
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #9
Clea
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectatorGuy View Post
I also never got a $20 charity sketch, I just wrote it off and will never deal with that artist.
I wonder if I should write off a kickstarter piece that I'm pretty sure is never coming as well
A Kickstarter piece from the same artist? Just curious if this is a recurring thing!

Also, thanks for the advice, everyone, still trying to sort this but I appreciate everyone's answers!
Clea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:10 AM   #10
SpectatorGuy
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clea View Post
A Kickstarter piece from the same artist? Just curious if this is a recurring thing!

Also, thanks for the advice, everyone, still trying to sort this but I appreciate everyone's answers!
No, the charity artist was appearing on a livestream and it was a donate such and such amount for a headsketch. I don't feel too bad about it as the money went to a charity at least.

In retrospect I actually have two kickstarter commissions that I doubt will ever come to light. One another $20 headsketch and another which was more pricey as a full figure. I've written them off in my head as a reminder to not do business with those artists and that kickstarter is always a risk. Two different kickstarters that is, and two different artists, which are not the same as the charity one
SpectatorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote