Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-23-2015, 11:55 PM   #41
Clea
Doh!

I'm really bad at making specific goals but I just started a new Marvel-themed sketchbook so I'd like to add maybe 10/15 pieces to that next year...

In terms of pricier commissioned pieces, I think 2016 might be the year I bite the bullet and finally get a Ribic piece. But who to ask for? Hmm...

Hope everyone achieves their art goals!
Clea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #42
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clea View Post
I'm really bad at making specific goals but I just started a new Marvel-themed sketchbook so I'd like to add maybe 10/15 pieces to that next year...

In terms of pricier commissioned pieces, I think 2016 might be the year I bite the bullet and finally get a Ribic piece. But who to ask for? Hmm...

Hope everyone achieves their art goals!
I've been seeing a lot of those sketchbooks at cons, and I think they are awesome!!! Can't wait to see what you get. As for Ribic, the man is brilliant!!!
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:49 PM   #43
Clea
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aric View Post
I've been seeing a lot of those sketchbooks at cons, and I think they are awesome!!! Can't wait to see what you get. As for Ribic, the man is brilliant!!!
Thanks! Yeah I know some people don't like sketchbooks, they like something more finished, but for me, they're a great space-saver! Also if you have more than one (or you don't mind just getting one/two pieces at a show), you can leave one with an artist all day and get a more finished piece, usually! And thanks! Yeah I saw him painting at NICE Con and was pretty blown away--insanely talented dude.
Clea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:09 PM   #44
BillC
Hellboy

I may already be changing 2016 goals. They were to be sparse with the purchases but I should make it more so.

Looking back on 2015, I only acquired maybe a dozen pieces, published or commissions. That said, the vast majority have actually been miserable experiences. Got 2 pieces in the mail today that look like the were run over by the usps truck a few times before delivering. Have another artist doing a commission piece now and changing the rules after agreeing/ generally making the $ spent a waste.

The year hasn't been fun overall concerning OA, so it's got me wondering why I should spend $ on it, lol. I took myself out of the game to a large extent in 2015, maybe another year off is needed to recharge the 'ol batteries.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:23 PM   #45
Mr. Machismo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Great thread, Aric.

I'm humbled by some of the pickups in this thread—amazing...

I started collecting late 2014, so 2015 I spent way, way too much. Is that normal your first year of collecting?

This year I've picked up a number of convention sketches, my favourite of which is this Batman/Joker 'face-off' by Jae Lee: http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1255857

I’ve also picked up three pieces (two Daredevil) from the incredible Chris Samnee, with another Daredevil/Elektra piece on it’s way. They can be seen here: http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=166382

My three biggest pickups of the year I have not yet posted. One is a #1 cover by Adi Granov, and another a #1 cover by Gabriele Dell’Otto which I picked up yesterday (and with that, I can no longer afford things lol.) These will be framed and posted to CAF soon.

I have two cover-quality commissions for Daredevil coming from Michael Cho and another artist, whom I can’t mention at this time.

I have another 5 pieces coming from Javier Fernandez which is a superhero/cityscape series, and another 5 from Brent McKee which is a Batman VS rogues series.

My goal for 2016 was to pickup a cover or cover-quality commission from Simone Bianchi or the masterful Gabriele Dell'Otto, which I thought would be a reach. Having just secured the latter, my new goal for 2016 is simple: don't buy anything :P
Mr. Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #46
Stalzer2002
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

I had four art goals coming into this year:

1) A page from GI Joe 59-61
2) A Tom Grummett Thunderbolts page.
3) The second in my series of floating headshot jams.
4) Something from the NYCC Charity Art Auction.

I accomplished the relatively easy ones at NYCC, getting the headshot jam and a couple of pieces in the auction.

While I didn't get either of my more specific goals, I did get some amazing pages that I wasn't expecting.

A George Perez Deadly Hands of Kung Fu page.

A Brent Anderson Astro City page from the "Confessions" arc.

A John Buscema Conan the Barbarian page.

A Brian Hurtt Sixth Gun page.

My second Mark Bagley Thunderbolts page.

And just a few days ago, a killer Gene Day Master of Kung Fu page.

So, yeah, I had a great year artwise. For 2016, I'm adding a few goals, but will hopefully stick to them.

1) A page from GI Joe 59-61.
2) A Tom Grummett Thunderbolts page.
3) A Tony Harris Starman page.
4) A Mark Texiera 90s Ghost Rider page.
5) A Suicide Squad page.
6) The third in my series of floating headshot jams.
7) Something from the NYCC Charity Art Auction.
Stalzer2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #47
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Wow, those are 2 great hauls - congrats to you both!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:41 AM   #48
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

must of missed this thread.

Finally, finally, finally get a Mark Brooks Planet Hulk piece in my sketch book
Get at least one good early Buscema Hulk OA
Get a Hulk cover
Start a new non-Hulk sketch book at Heroes

Keep it simple
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #49
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

my resolution is to be on sabbatical..........we will see how well that goes
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:47 PM   #50
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Finally settled on my goal for 2016. Now that I'm a student working minimal hours I have set my focus on one piece this year. David Yardin commission of Bishop from X-Men, to add to my students of Portacio Bishop Collection.
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote